Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for bush pilots and areas to bowhunt (self-guided) Alaskan Moose and Caribou (same area) this September. Thanks...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Help....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If you already know the area you are going to hunt in then you may try calling that area's local airport and ask them who they recommend as a reputable bush pilot to fly you.

·
save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,033 Posts
wow, this september might be late in the game, and while i dont know if he does float trips, mike mccrary is known as the best in the business for getting guys on game, least he was when i was looking at these trips...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Last I heard, Moose hunting in Alaska is now a lottery for non-residents. You may want to look into it.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
My Brother in law does the float trip thing every other year. I will ask him for you. I know his pilot, we used to shoot together 20 years ago but his name has slipped my mind. I will find out his info and get back to you. He is a really good guy and can get you squared away.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Brother in law does the float trip thing every other year. I will ask him for you. I know his pilot, we used to shoot together 20 years ago but his name has slipped my mind. I will find out his info and get back to you. He is a really good guy and can get you squared away.
You the man Bornagain...I will look forward to hearing what you find out. Let me know if I can do anything to help...

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can get moose tags over the counter as non-resident in some units.

I would hold off until 2011 if I was you, but start planning now. Unless a guide or transporter had a cancellation you are too late in the game. Most places book up months ago for flight service. If there are places that have openings make sure you get reference from at least 3 different people that you found, NOT references that they give you. There might be a reason they still have openings and everyone else is booked.

It is worth calling around now, because there is always a chance you could find something open. If it fails you now have a list you can contact this december to get it booked for 2011.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good advice....I will be working on it hard this coming week and see what happens...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Some websites to get you started....

Contact Larry Bartlett at PRINSTINE VENTURES...great reputation for outfitting hunts...serveral books...videos...great rep in Alaska. Larry specializes in float hunt outfitting too I believe.

www.outdoorsdirectory.com This is an all Alaska hunting forum that has tons of information for newby AK hunters on there.

I have flown with several outfitters in the interior....two you want to look at are 40 Mile Air out of Tok Alaska and Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Delta Junction.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm on it....BTW, we are doing this unguided. I have been to Alaska hunting 3 previous times hunting all on our own but never have done a float hunt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts