Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of my buddies and I are planning starting a show. We have most of it figured out Just kinda looking for some tips and advice from all you hunters out there that have a clue. Any questions feel pleased to ask. Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
My advice would be act natural. Whether you're cool as a cucumber or fall apart like Fred Eichler or Stan Potts after the shot, as long as the reaction is genuine most viewers will be fine with it. When I see people on tv shows that have coined their own catch phrase that follows the fist pump like "I just dropped the smackwhackalacka on that buck" or "I just put the boomshakalacka on that deer" or "I just laid the bombdiggitydoowop on that buck" it always appears staged and corny.

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Keep it real. A bunch of hunting shows in production now, aren't worth watching.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
as others said " Keep It Real " shoot doe's

·
I Got Serious!
3,340 Posts
I agree, keep it real! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Don't make it a 30 minute infomercial about your sponsors. These shows today don't realize we can see what they use. We don't want to hear them mention it umpteen times.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Good advice above. Are you wondering what people like to watch, or how to get the show started? The first thing is to have a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
There is a reason pretty much all of the shows today are formatted the same. It is what works. Bust on them all you want but if there were a better model that the general public wanted to see they would change. The masses don't want to watch non sponsored, regular Joe's shooting 90 inch deer on public land.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good advice above. Are you wondering what people like to watch, or how to get the show started? The first thing is to have a lot of $$$.
A little bit of both would be Nice. Just want to make sure we don't miss anything. Great advice everyone. We planned on keeping it as real as possible. Idk about not using sponsors however due to some expenses. All hunts will be do it yourselfs. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Don't miss, don't take shots at running caribou with stick bows, don't use C'mere deer, enunciate your words and show respect for the animal you kill. You might want to emphasize that you are going to eat the buck rather than the "trophy" aspect of the hunt.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
You can't do it without major sponsorship unless you are independently wealthy.

My advice would be to quit looking at hunting as a fun thing to do, hobby, past time, way of life etc. You must approach it as a job and a business, making all decisions based on what is best for your job and your business.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish I had decent tips because if I did I may have a show too. I get real excited and think about it myself until I get to the realistic part of money. Lets face it. You do not want to film your show on your Ipod Touch or Phone. You do not want to edit your show with Windows Movie Maker. So lets buy a nice HD made for the outdoors camera and all gear needed to accommodate it. Lets say $3,600- $5000 for an average camera with these capabilities. If you are going to pay that kind of money for a camera though you best have the $500 dollar warranty or whatever crazy dollar amount that is. Then learn how to operate this much more complex video camera than you are used to ever touching. Then you probably want to be on the show so now you need to teach someone else or pay someone else to use it. Gonna need to double your tree stand purchases so the camera guy has somewhere to sit an film from a perspective view. Unless you have money laying around (some people do) then you need sponsors of some sort or another. Getting sponsors at first would take some real effort. Unless your show is really good and worth while and they would even take the time to watch it. Then you may not actually be getting any endorsement money from the sponsor. Maybe just a handful of their free products for free but this saves you money for things you need to use on the show. Also maybe they help you with a little publicity. Get your name on the internet, youtube, indexed in the search engines. How to land a TV Deal? I dont know. I subscribe to a couple good hunting shows on youtube and there are a lot more good channels with a regular show on there too and they have no tv show. My guess would be who you know and more importantly who they know. If you was to be so lucky for example we'll say Bushnell Trail Cams to sponsor you. Then your YouTube show is really getting popular. Bushnell likes that. Your using and talking about their stuff on your show. If thousands like you on Youtube then a million will like you on TV maybe. Bushnell likes that. Bushnell makes a phone call.. You have a TV show. Or forget all this crap and have a good time making a show and like others have said be yourself (yourself through a public eye of course). Make your first show. I run a new outdoor community site. It will be your first youtube subscriber. I've done my part. Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Word of advice, hire me as a co-host.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
There is a reason pretty much all of the shows today are formatted the same. It is what works. Bust on them all you want but if there were a better model that the general public wanted to see they would change. The masses don't want to watch non sponsored, regular Joe's shooting 90 inch deer on public land.
I am not the masses but I do. It's how I hunt.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts