Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be planting food plots this weekend at the lease and wanted suggestions on what to plant? We are in South Louisiana. Temps have been in the 80s. During the winters, we may get 1 hard freeze and a few light freezes. Usually wet winters. Mostly piney woods with some hardwoods.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not much of a planting expert, but at least my reply will move your question back to the front page where some of the food plot experts can respond. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I found that in Ohio the Biologic clover planted on or near September 1st will come up and do well the first year, immediately really, and this year it has flourished, we did a soil sample and went by what they recommended for lime and fertilizer and it really had done good, highly recommend Bilologic.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
try rye grass. it will grow just about any where. I would recommend putting pea's down in about a 30 yard area around your stand. I have had excellent success with peas. I have never had a deer go to biologic down here but that doesn't mean you won't. Mix it up in bigger fields so if one of the grasses taste better at a different time you will see more deer through out the year. Where are you hunting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hunt in louisiana also... greensburg, if you know where that is. We planted biologic clover plus and it grew really good last year. and this past weekend we planted clover plus again, but we also planted biologic hotspot mixed in with it... ive heard good stuff about it, where do u hunt around?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hunt on the other end of the state. North of Lake Charles, towards Dequincy.

The lease gives us 1/2 bag of oats and a bag of fertilizer. Thinking of buy a bag of Austrian Peas to add to it.

Also can buy rape by the pound at the local feed store.

·
Registered
145 Posts
if possible plant it in a smaller opening mainly surrounded by woods or cover of some sort ..they feel more comfortable eating in a coverd place insted of a big open feild esspesilly when the leaves start comming off the trees and they head to the woods and hang out there more often atleast thats what i do here in IL

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
kc, we have tried all kinds of commercial blends and many feedstore blends with various results but mostly not good. We did the soil samples and made the proper amendments. We plow and disc and drag the seedbed. We are in Brownwood, Tx and water is the big factor. We have learned that the common cereal grains will always produce "if" the rain comes. Even if you plant Austrian Peas, Rape, or ????? always throw out a bag or two of oats, wheat or rye. That way if the other doesn't come up, most likely the cereal grains will and you will at least have something. It is a good way to hedge your bet cheaply. Good Luck!!

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
go with crimson clover, wheat , rye grass. and especially winter peas!! they are bought at the local co-op and are cheap and work very well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts