Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have shot now for 8-9 months. My first bow being an old junk PSE that I couldn't pull. I then bought a Mission Riot, I loved that bow. I then in turn sold it and bought a 2012 Elite tour. I shot a CBE Elite Target then sold that and bought a SurLoc Icon 550 with the Swarovski Black Eagle scope. I have tried so many releases, I currently shoot a hinge, I have used them all. Tried many arrows as well. I shoot 20 yards, CX X-Jammer 27's 30-60 CXL Pros, and I have yet to make a decision on long FITA shots.
The reason I am telling you the above is I think allot of my problem is I switch to much. This I know. I have returned my Icon for a Supreme due to issues with it.

However my scores are getting worse and worse. Regardless of what I shoot, how perfect my FOC is, how perfect my stance and release is. It seems I was doing better with a cheap thumb release. I shoot more and more and I get worse and worse. I don't get it. My thoughts is A) I shoot awesome when am not in a competition. B) I shoot like **** in a local mail in with friends and very nice people. I think I have had heard many theory's and the more I read and learn the more stuff feels my head and I am analyzing everything.

Is it bad to make sure my arrows are perfect ? Is it bad my release and stance is focused in ? As some have told me it doesn't matter but that doesn't make sense. Is it bad that I work on shooting with both eye's open ( the pros do ). And lastly is it bad I want to be first at every competition, how trivial it may bee to most. In my mind there is only 1 winner and if am not winning am not having my a whole lot of fun, in fact it pisses me off..lol. A ton of people say for how long I have been shooting my scores is amazing, but that's not good enough for me. I compete against my self and it seems like i am losing.

I am thinking since it seems I have plateaued, I am going to stop competing for a while and just blank bail. Then next year I will start again. Have any of you plateaued and what did you do to get over it ? Is it bad to want to win, as in my mind there is only 1 winner and the rest are losers ? Its just so frustrating. Have any of you guys been just bummed out after a night of bad scores ?

Any advice would be awesome.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My random thoughts from reading your post,

Your form must be exactly the same every single arrow. Take a pill from Reo Wilde here, be natural and comfortable, because that is what you will revert back to when the heat is on. Plus, you can shut off the internal coach and stop "trying"...just do what is natural and you will repeat it without thought.

It will take some bale work to get back to your shot if you've been to mechanical in your execution. Everyone has the perfect shot inside them they can repeat.

I would suggest staying with the hinge and mastering a shot where the string just oozes or melts off the string with literally no thought, eyes just locked on Bull. For me this is three fingers wrapped firmly around it, but only drawing with index. Get pin on target and come to holding letting release hand relax, causes a very subtle shift as pressure equalizes over other two fingers and the shot is gone. At full draw pretend someone is standing next to you taking your picture of what perfect form looks like as you relax.

Would also suggest some rhythm drills where you shoot arrows as quickly as possible while focusing on smooth execution. 110% commitment to letting the shot happen no matter what.

Be patient, no one holds rock stead all of the time, but the best keep looking at the X.... learn to be at ease with the sight floating, judge your shooting by how shots feel....100% no results...only process.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Slow Down.The archery shot is very complex and from what i read you should be pleased with your progress.Stay positive and your drive can be used to work for you instead of against you.Completely change your thinking to only thinking of one arrow at a time not the whole tournament and once that arrow is gone forget it.Good Luck and bailing is always a positive if done right.

·
I'll be your huckleberry
2,180 Posts
What are your goals? Short term and long term. Archery is more than just shooting good shots. It's mental and physical preparation. If you really want to competitive you have to put yourself on a schedule. You must give yourself time for your muscles to recover as well as your mind. Your schedule should include not only shooting practice but blank baling, diet, exercise, and most important REST.

If you want to be a champion you have to act like a champion. Accepting failure is a great characteristic of a champion

Keep your head up, get on a practice schedule and when you not scheduled to shoot your bow, read about it.

Start with "The Little Book of Talent" by Daniel Coyle. I have not finished it yet but it's a great read.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would start by reading "mental management". More than you realize, archery is about the mental game........if you can get to a point when you shoot subconsciously you will see your scores improve. I can assure you the likes of Reo Wilde don't think about their shot. He shootsnthenway he does because of his preparation prior to competition.. They say to practise hard and compete easy.

The next thing I would do is get yourself a coach........you may think you have perfect form but it's near impossible to tell if in fact you do. The difference between an "X" and a 7 or 8 at 90 meters (outdoor FITA distance) is less thank one degree at time of release. The slightest twinge of the finger on your bow hand will produce that one degree variance.
Having a coach to evaluate your shot is invaluable. If you have the means this is definitely the best thing to do. Failing that video tape yourself and review the tape. Trouble with this Is that if you don't know what you are doing wrong you arent likely to pick it up in the video. A good coach is worth their weight in gold and thank god for mine (Jim Martin).

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Every time you change something, you start all over again. Anything new is changing. And you will always be worse starting new than if you just stick with something for a while.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
:shade: im seeing more and more of this each year....your beating your self..i think its due to the new computer age....people see this new game of archery and .. it looks so simple. they get on the web..they get info.. from people who have no business teaching others. all you gotta do is pull it back put the pin on the target and slap the trigger its easy... and the pros make it look easy. then you got the archery industry who will sell you ANYTHING even if it dont work as long as its NEW so it sells...archers are very opinionated ask the same question to 10 people you will get 10 different answers.. so you get a new theory . i need a new release thats all i need.. 2 days hummm....... that didnt work,, then 5 days more hummm that didnt work need a new one..i have see this a lot... ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP IF YOU WANNA BE A TOP DOG. your NOT gonna get there in one year its not gonna happen... THE PROS FIND WHAT WORKS FOR THEM....they do it by working on one thing at a time till its perfect.they start at the foundation and go from there. you can bail for years if you dont know how to do it right it will be a waste of time.just like trying to compete when you have only been shooting for 9mo. your gonna get your tail beat...there is always someone a little better or someone who gets lucky.... fact of life...you gotta find what works for you. the BEST way is to find a good coach and go see him...get a fresh start and do it right.. by getting good info and advice and start training the right way. hope this helps mike..

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Ha!
Losing pisses you off?
Winning and being number one is the only way you can be happy?
You've shot for 8-9 months?
Ha!

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Ha!
Losing pisses you off?
Winning and being number one is the only way you can be happy?
You've shot for 8-9 months?Ha!
Sorry, I got interrupted...

Having unrealistic goals in life will always lead to disappointment and frustration.
A change of attitude could help more than any other tactic.
The main thing is... if you are seriously wanting to be your best, get a GOOD coach and then... listen to him.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
you are ata point in your shooting where you have to start very structured intense goal oriented "training", as compared to "practice", in order see improvements that mean something.
at this point blind-baling and serious scoring-ten yard games, with all the serious discipline of a tournament winning effort is what is going to get you over that plateau. it is a point that takes time and dedication, with no concerns for competitions and how well you are actually shooting. the disciplined regimen of non-competition training will do you 100 times better than trying to get better by shooting more arrows.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Brandon, you've gotten some great advice above. Are you listening or do you think that you don't need to do the hard things that are necessary to get better?

Allen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts