Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a good compound bow. i am not familiar with all the different brands out there and ups and downs. i would really appreciate if anyone who has time would tell what product they believe in. i am looking for a good all around bow, with pretty good let-off around 70/80 pnd draw. Brands models and your likes and dislikes would be greatly appreciated. Good luck Archers.

Buck Archer Panhandle Florida

[email protected]/[email protected]

Thanks for alll your help!!

·
7,984 Posts
Buckarcher, Tallahassee area here. I can tell you, you really need to try and shoot several different bows. Every person is going to have a different opinion on certain bows, when in truth, almost all manufacturers are competitive these days. Anyways, PM me if you have any questions. And if you're close to Tallahassee, you can meet us on any given Wednesday at the range and shoot a Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, Pearson or Reflex. :wink:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
buckarcher,
Welcome to the forum. Picking a bow is a very personal decision. When you are new it sounds simple to just have someone suggest a bow or brand and sometimes it is frustrating for a new archer to hear "go and try many bows before deciding". I started out with Hoyt but now I shoot Mathews. Why? because Mathews fit Me better and I shoot them better. I liked my Hoyt and shot it well bit I like my two Mathews even better. That is why you need to go to a pro shop that carries many brands and shoot as many as you can to decide which one feels the best to you. Then and only then will you appreciate the advice given and the satisfaction of knowing you chose your bow because it felt the best to you.

TEXAS

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Ditto what everyone else said. I shoot a PSE Scorpion, but everyone else in our shop shoots something different as we are all looking for something different in a bow. 80# bows are mostly special order as there isn't much call for them anymore. :beer: :smile:

·
74,535 Posts
Give you some thoughts

Lots of excellant buys in classifieds.

Go to your local best pro shop and have them measure your draw length

Ill be glad to send you some best buys in classifieds.

Mathews Switchback is a sweet bow

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Bow selection is as personal as anything else that we do in our lives. I bought a bow from another AT member this. It had all the specs I thought I was looking for. It had been used to take several deer. So on and so on. I did get a good deal, but... Had I been able to try this bow out before hand, I would not have bought it, good deal or not. My advice is to hit as many proshops as you can, and shoot some bows as you narrow down your choices.

Every member here has there likes and dislikes, but in reality every now bow out there is of decent quality. Good luck choosing, and let us know what you get.

·
32,711 Posts
Be careful of the draw weight also. You might be able to draw back a 70 or even 80 lb bow at the pro shop but when you are out shooting targets and you shoot 50 to 100 times, then the impact of what you are pulling back takes it's toll. Since you are new to this sport, you need to know that you're archery muscles aren't developed like alot of these guys on here. I shot a bow when I was young all the time for years and even after a long layoff, those muscles jumped back into gear and shape fairly quickly. May I ask, and be so bold as to ask, why do you want such a strong bow to start off with?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts