Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I followed Automan26's thread about making a jig/stretcher and made a pretty decent 2 post jig. Here's a 10" practice string on it. 047.jpg
I made a little jig so I know when I'm at 100 and 300lbs for measuring and serving.

I made my first complete set of string and cables two days ago for an old bow of mine out of 452x with .014 Halo and .021 62xs. I read a lot and followed Griv's guide to finishing the end loops which I like a lot. I'm happy with how they look and I learned a lot about using my jig in the process. Here's a pic of my first end serving. 050.jpg
I got to shoot them in yesterday and after 60 shots, I'm still getting significant peep rotation. I didn't expectmy first set to be rock solid after 10 shots or so but was hoping that they wouldn't suck either. Here's my process:
1. Set my jig to the desired length using Automan26's formula which he very kindly provided.
2. Lay out my bundles keeping good tension on the spool (I have a tensioner in the works but haven't finished it yet.)
3. Finish the end loops like Griv using the tag ends to wrap the loops.
4. Twist to length and measure at 100lbs
5. Tension to 300lbs and let sit for a few minutes then using a piece of left over string material, burnish the string.
6. Serve and let sit for a while. (The string sat for 3 hours while I went and ran some errands but the cables only got 1 hour at 300lbs.)
7. Install on the bow.

If any of you have any advice or are willing to share your tips on how to make a more solid set, I would be very greatful to hear it. I know I'll only get better but If I can learn from some of the best in the business it hopefully will save me wasting a lot of material. Thanks in advance!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
866 Posts
check out the thread stretching bowstring while fabricating and go to post #14. That should help you out

·
Registered
497 Posts
Which way did you serve your string? Make sure you are serving in the right direction. This will cause peep rotation very easily.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I do serve with the twist so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll check out that thread and post. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BowBaker1640, I can't find a thread on string stretching using the title you gave me. Could you copy the link to the thread and post it on here for me?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
yup, make sure you're wrapping the serving in the same direction the string is twisted.....so serving the string would "tighten" the twists as you wrap the serving. also, when laying up the string strands, try to wind them onto the jig as evenly in tension, as you can, and then put the laid up, but untwisted bundle of string material under 2 or 3 hundred pounds of tension, over night before twisting it and starting your serving. that lets the individual strands equalize the lay up tension. basically each step in building, as you progress through lay-up, to twisting, to serving and finished string, should be set under equalizing tension, before doing the next step. that is the safest way to arrive at a good finished string, that won't twist when you are hand building and hand serving.. if you don't do this, when you twist up the string and the strands haven't had a chance to equalize in tension, the individual strands will have differing tensions within the twisted bundle and rotate all the time under the pressure of shooting, because some strands will be taking more load than others in the twisted bundle. well made strings don't twist because, all the individual strands take an equal amount of the strain and if they don't start out equal right from the beginning of the build, they won't fix themselves after the twisting and serving (especially the loop serving) is done.....that loop serving essentially locks the entire string bundle into whatever tensions the individual strands are at, when the loops are served. so it is extremely important to put the freshly laid up bundle under a good amount of tension (250 to 300 pounds) for several hours, before twisting. it also helps to burnish the untwisted bundle from post to post, while under tension. this helps the individual strands move around and establish equilibrium within the laid-up, but untwisted bundle, for a good start.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would "stretching" the untwisted bundles before finishing the end loops help to equalize the strands or would that just cause slipping and mess up the length?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
what little the string might get longer from the tensions equalizing is miniscule and can be compensated for during installation and tuning, by twisting the finished string/cables as part of the normal requirements of tuning a newly installed rig, as long as the string was built with consideration for the correct twists per length of finished string was adhered to.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I believe that a few mins of strect time is not enough. BCY recommends at least 30 mins..

·
Registered
707 Posts
i do all of my strectching before serving and i check for rotation before serving so i know if something went wrong i know where it happened

·
Registered
866 Posts
i do all of my strectching before serving and i check for rotation before serving so i know if something went wrong i know where it happened
and that's what it says in that thread I spoke of and that's what I do

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys. Richard Doolin and BowBaker1640 that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for pointing that post out. After doing some more reading on it, I realized that I may have served too tighly and I didn't give the string a recovery time. I just put it up to tension, served, measured and put it on the bow. I may just scrap that string and start a new. Thanks again!

·
Registered
866 Posts
don't do that. if you carefully cut the serving you can undo it and restretch and let it recover then reserve it

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Serving too tight will cause peep rotation. Take a two inch piece of serving material and put it in the middle of the string before you start twisting (you should do this anyways to make putting in your peep simple). Place it as close to where the peep is going to be to. Pull the material out strait and use it as a flag indicator. As you serve, you'll be able to tell of your serving too tight because you can see the flags rotating. A tiny little bit of movement is ok. But if its rotating a quarter rotation, or half a rotation, you're serving too tightly.

Another way to tell, is with the flag indicator. Pull the ends tight, and as you back down the poundage, does it move? Or stay straight? Straight = good!

I started in December making strings but feel I've got my system down and end up with great strings and ZERO rotation.

Calculate post settings.
Lay up string with as equal tension as possible, use tag ends to finish loops.
Put two 12inch pieces of material in between the two colors, or half way on a solid color.
Move to stretcher, bring to 175lbs.
Burnish individual colors.
Put half the twists in on one end.
Use the 12 inch material to pull from center to end of string to ensure the material is laying up evenly.
Put remaining half of twists in on other end. I usually end up around 300lbs at this point.
Take the scrap material and pull from end to center to ensure bundles are laying up evenly again.
Increase to 400lbs. Keep increasing to 400 as it stretches, only have to increase two times or so. Let stretch at 400 until it doesn't lose a pound for one hour.
Back down to 100, let sit 10 mins to recover, put in or take out any twists to get proper length.
Back down to 30 lbs and start end serving.
Crank up to 350, let sit until it stops losing poundage at 350.
Serve.

Great strings every time!

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like a plan. I will try to fix this string and see what happens. jmann28, thanks for jumping in with that "flag" idea. Makes perfect sense and will come in handy.

·
Registered
866 Posts
when you go to cut the serving very carefully "shave" it until you get thru it

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I took the serving off that string and re-served with less tension and and allowed a relaxing period before putting it on the bow. I shot it in today and in 20 shots there was no more rotation! I couldn't be happier that my first set is a keeper. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Okay so I followed Automan26's thread about making a jig/stretcher and made a pretty decent 2 post jig. Here's a 10" practice string on it. View attachment 1629241
I made a little jig so I know when I'm at 100 and 300lbs for measuring and serving.

I made my first complete set of string and cables two days ago for an old bow of mine out of 452x with .014 Halo and .021 62xs. I read a lot and followed Griv's guide to finishing the end loops which I like a lot. I'm happy with how they look and I learned a lot about using my jig in the process. Here's a pic of my first end serving. View attachment 1629249
I got to shoot them in yesterday and after 60 shots, I'm still getting significant peep rotation. I didn't expectmy first set to be rock solid after 10 shots or so but was hoping that they wouldn't suck either. Here's my process:
1. Set my jig to the desired length using Automan26's formula which he very kindly provided.
2. Lay out my bundles keeping good tension on the spool (I have a tensioner in the works but haven't finished it yet.)
3. Finish the end loops like Griv using the tag ends to wrap the loops.
4. Twist to length and measure at 100lbs
5. Tension to 300lbs and let sit for a few minutes then using a piece of left over string material, burnish the string.
6. Serve and let sit for a while. (The string sat for 3 hours while I went and ran some errands but the cables only got 1 hour at 300lbs.)
7. Install on the bow.

If any of you have any advice or are willing to share your tips on how to make a more solid set, I would be very greatful to hear it. I know I'll only get better but If I can learn from some of the best in the business it hopefully will save me wasting a lot of material. Thanks in advance!:darkbeer:
Your jig looks good. I too built this jig and have had really good success with it.

When I install the strings, I shoot the bow 50-75 times before installing the peep. This allows the string to settle in. I have not had any peep twist in any of my strings so far and have close to 1000 shots on my current strings. I build mine similar as you. Everyone has their own way and most advise is worth listening to. Trial and error will be a good resource for you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts