Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: This will be my second deer ever with a bow...and its been almost 4 years since my first one. I've been hunting with bow and arrow only for the last 2 years...and finally things are starting to connect...until this morning.

Here's the situation... I had two spikes come right under mu stand and feed around the area for about 10 minutes or so. One of the spikes was reddish color...and the other was gray and had tall spikes. So I figured he was an older deer being big bodied and gray he seemed to be a cull candidate.
After deciding to harvest him I waited for him to offer the right angle. He decided to turn back to me and feed back down the trail...I drew when he got behind a tree and followed him about 10 yards waiting for the moment of truth around an oaktree...here's what happens. The deer was 12 yards from the tree and I was 20 foot up the tree...but he was down in a slope so the elevation on the deer was about 36 feet...with the elevation and the quartering away shot I thought I could put the arrow behind his left shoulder up high..and let the arrow drive down and punch his heart...however..the arrow hits its mark and passed straight throw the deer making help flip forwar on his back..he bounced right up and hooked backaround showing me his exit wound at which was covered in blood....however the exit was just behind the shoulder on the 12 mark... When the arrow hit it did something funny I noticed the fletching turn forward like it glanced off a bone and turned inside of the deer..which explains the exit wound being behind the opposite shoulder and behind it instead of below and in front.
after 45 minutes I got down walked over to the arrow..at which is just laying on the ground...and not a spec of blood on it. all three blades were expanded with hair wedged around the pivots...and there was some tissue and hair on the fletching...but no blood!!!!
What the heck happened?????So I started trailing him and didn't find blood for 20 yards...he was blleeding the best at that point and then it pettered out. I got a biddy out there to help me look and we walked in a big circle and later found blood on the opposite side of this steep hill... basically circling around back around the right of the stand...but the blood drops were the size if a dime here and there. and they were about 6 foot apart. after 5 hours of searching we decided to try again in the morning.....

Does anyone have any idea what vitals if any I hit? Why there wasn't any blood on the arrow after a pass through? Man this is so discouraging...:cry:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If you have an exit hole behind the shoulder on the 12 mark, sounds like a perfect shot...:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
I have had a high angle passthrough that coated the arrow with fat and cleaned all the blood off. If the arrow exited low in the ribs, that might explain the arrow.

If it exited an area with a lot of fat under the skin the fat may close up the hole and the hair will absorb the blood. It does sound like you made a very lethal shot. It probably deflected off the spine and punched the offside lung. unless the arrow passed through above the spine, I bet the deer is dead.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
My guess is you went too high and basically slid the arrow down the ribs on the opposite side of the body...this is why the fletch kicked high and the arrow did not have blood but plenty of hair and tissue. At that steep of a shot angle you should have exit very low on the opposite side and not "on the 12 mark". If he is climbing hills, he is not hurt that bad. HOWEVER; get out there tomorrow and do a grid pattern or pick up the blood trail where you left off. Hopefully he bedded down somewhere, but I don't believe it's a fatal hit based on what you are telling us. Aim for that exit hole.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Sorry to tell you that i had a very similar situation happen to me two years ago. I shot a doe and I could see the arrow hanging out of the opposite side perfectly on her shoulder. She spun around and stood there looking around. I knocked another arrow but was unable to get another shot. She trotted off slowly. I waited about 45 min and went look at my arrow. Full of fat. I thought I hit her good. It appeared I hit her good but I found ONE drop of blood. We looked for hours and never found any sign. She looked like she was never hit when she trotted off. :confused: Best of luck and I hope your situation turns out better than mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dark red blood

No smell at all really, but the tissue on the fletching idicated muscle. and the blood would be about 6 foot apart from eachother.

Whitefeather said:
What color was the blood on the ground? Dark red, bright pink, frothy? Does the arrow have any "foul" smell to it, indicating a gut shot? With any complete passthrough, there should be some blood on the arrow.

JP

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Eagle Eye II said:
No smell at all really, but the tissue on the fletching idicated muscle. and the blood would be about 6 foot apart from eachother.
Dark red suggests you got liver...hmmmmm. Did you hit high and too far back? If you got liver, it'll be a lethal shot, but it's going to take some time because on that angle you didn't get any lung. Go back tomorrow preferably with a buddy and/or dog and start looking.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
how much time did you give him before you got down?

Because if you didn't make that good of a shot, you could have pushed him

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Almost had the same scenario last year, but mine was slightly quartering to me. Had a high shot which i thought at my height would be a perfect downward through the lungs. Arrow passed through with hardly no signs of blood on it but after searching the way he ran I started finding small drops 6-10 feet apart, never found anymore than that, trailed for about 100 yards then drops just quit..walked all over the area & still nothing so i decided to wait till morning and go back to last sight of blood.... then i started looking for possible routes that he would have traveled & followed them out & finally found him piled up beside a medium sized oak on the edge of a field.......but...entrance & exit wound was small like blades never opened (Rocket Sidewinders):eek: but they had, after it passed thru & it dirt!!:mad: I had hardly no blood where he was laying but when i opened him up...slap full, he'd bled out inside, I didn't really hit any vitals but it cut up enough on the pass thru to make him bleed.

My suggestions is go back in the morning & start doing circles or looking for the "most likely" way he went. Be patient & look carefully, mine was belly down, about 100 from last blood, very hard to spot. :wink:
Shot actually went in high & came out high.

Sorry to ramble on :embara: but sounds like experiences are very close so i had to share.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
45 min.

I waited 45 minutes and never heard another sound.

Huntin'Honey24 said:
how much time did you give him before you got down?

Because if you didn't make that good of a shot, you could have pushed him

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
sorry I meant after you found the arrow without blood?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rambling is good

no thanks for rambling its helpful information that helps me understand what I may have done wrong. So please tell me your experiences...I totally appreciate any bit of info that'll help me fgure this out so that it dosn't happen again.

Sfd_324 said:
Almost had the same scenario last year, but mine was slightly quartering to me. Had a high shot which i thought at my height would be a perfect downward through the lungs. Arrow passed through with hardly no signs of blood on it but after searching the way he ran I started finding small drops 6-10 feet apart, never found anymore than that, trailed for about 100 yards then drops just quit..walked all over the area & still nothing so i decided to wait till morning and go back to last sight of blood.... then i started looking for possible routes that he would have traveled & followed them out & finally found him piled up beside a medium sized oak on the edge of a field.......but...entrance & exit wound was small like blades never opened (Rocket Sidewinders):eek: but they had, after it passed thru & it dirt!!:mad: I had hardly no blood where he was laying but when i opened him up...slap full, he'd bled out inside, I didn't really hit any vitals but it cut up enough on the pass thru to make him bleed.

My suggestions is go back in the morning & start doing circles or looking for the "most likely" way he went. Be patient & look carefully, mine was belly down, very hard to spot. :wink:
Shot actually went in high & came out high.

Sorry to ramble on :embara: but sounds like experiences are very close so i had to share.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another 45 min.

After realizing there wasn't any blood on the arrow I called a buddy from camp, so I had to go to the main road to lead him into the area. I area I hunt is 5 miles into the woods..and a 45 min walk out. We road our quads back in at which I parked it on a yellow jacket nest:eek: that actually helped me to pick up on the blood trail on the opposite side of the hill...so they were a little help but a dozen stings later still no deer

QUOTE=Huntin'Honey24]sorry I meant after you found the arrow without blood?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Blood 6 feet a part is nothing. I have tracked critter where we find blood consistantly at 20 yards or better between drops. Go look in the morning. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
A deer flipping onto it's back is a common indication of being hit in the spine. Sounds like you at least nipped the spine among all the other information. IF ... your arrow gave up most of it's KE on bone; it may not have had enough left to finish the job. I know it doesn't help "this" situation, but I just don't trust mechanicals to "getterdone" when the going gets dicey ... bone, tough angles, less than perfect vitals hits. :embara: Keep searching until your sure the animal survived or you find the carcass. Sorry to hear about your plight ... I know it stinks.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
The evidence suggests you disturbed the spine when the arrow hit.

If the arrow hit on "your" side of the spine and kicked, the arrow could exit high on the opposite side. Depending on how high the exit is there is a good chance the broadhead would at least cut one lung. But even with a cut in one lung the deer could go quite a ways.

The arrow could have passed over the top of the spine and then the chance that a lung was touched is much less. I have seen where arrows entered over the top of the spine and appeared to be a very good hit. But when the deer where killed weeks or months later it was obvious that all vital organs were intact after the broadhead passed thru. The ones I'm thinking of happened almost exactly as you described!! The shot is at rather steep angle that really narrows the bullseye but the hit looks good enough.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Funny.

Sometimes there are just no explenations for things like that. I have shot deer (bow and gun) and have gotten a great blood trail, only to follow that trail hundreds of yards and never find my deer. I have shot them and found no blood at all but the deer fell no more than 75 yards away. You hate it when it happens, but thats one of the things that keeps me going......There are NO certanties. Thats also the reason that I look as long as possible for an animal that I have hit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Help

my friend had about the same thing happen to him on a nice nebraska 10 pt. no blood on the arrow and only found a small amount of blood on the blood trail. followed the trail WHERE HE THOUGHT THE DEER HAD TRAVELED. looked the next day and the next day he found him not 20 yards from the first blood he had found. the meat was no good so he cut the head off and placed it behind the barn to cure, and some critter carried it off before he could clean it up. sorry about your deer. shoot another.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Dark red blood doesn't have to be from the liver (though it can)....it simply means it didn't have much O2 in it...it can come from the body as well....indicating a heavy muscle hit.

Bright red indicates an arterial source...

What does the hair from your arrow look like? Did you save it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts