Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new bow that I am struggling with. I have shot field points all year very well but when I tried broadheads tonight I was surprised to see how bad they shot.

Using the same arrows as I do with field tips, I put 3 Muzzy 100 grain broadheads on and at 20 yards they all shoot 6 inches left and progressively further left the further out I shoot. I have never had troubles with Muzzy's in the past and I don't really want to go buying a bunch of new broadheads just to test so if anyone has ideas, please let me know!

I shoot a Hoyt Ultratech set at 58lbs, Shaky Hunter rest and am using a Gold Tip XT5575 arrows.

Thanks for any help!

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
It could be a bunch of things. I had a simular deal happen to me where I shot all summer and just before season my broadheads were off. I feel your pain. I think if you check the balance point of the arrow with a field tip compared to the muzzy it'll be different. For starters I would just reset the sights to the muzzys and go with it unless the arrows are whipping out of the bow. In that case you may need to retune the bow with the muzzys on.
The is all considering the bow was tuned correctly and the arrows are spined right. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday and im shooting Montec G5's, except i was shooting about and inch to the right. Finally I just moved my sights a hair to the right and of course, problem solved. But I hate it when you practice months before season fine-tuning your bow then you slip on the broadheads and they fly totally different. But I would just move your sights, solved the problem for me. Good Luck

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
boy am i interested in the answers to your questions. same exact thing here except i tried 6 different types of broadheads, (same weight) and two different types of arrows. not any two configurations hit in the same place. some low, some left, up......some shot great at 15 yards but at 20........holy smokes!
the closest ones were 6075 carbon express w/4 blade muzzy 100 gr. tips @ 64lbs. the other arrows are 5575 gold tips.
i've never had so much trouble with heads like i have this year. i really didn't want to re-set my sights which i finally did with the muzzy and it seems ok now.
i checked my timing marks, cams, limbs, paper shot.
i've shot this bow in 3d all summer and was in the top scores everywhere i went. maybe the dang thing doesn't like broadheads, i don't know. there must be something i'm overlooking.

let me know what you come up with. maybe it will fix mine too!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
i had a similar problem but walkback tuning with the boadheads on fixed that right up. didnt even have to touch my sight. all i had to do was move my rest about 3/32" to the right and now my broadheads hit with my field points

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
patriotvft said:
i had a similar problem but walkback tuning with the boadheads on fixed that right up. didnt even have to touch my sight. all i had to do was move my rest about 3/32" to the right and now my broadheads hit with my field points

that is correct when ever your broadheads do not shoot with your field tips either your arrow is not spined properly or something is not in line on your bow be it center shot or nock height. in your case it sounds like center shot. walk back tunning is the most accurate method of setting centershot that i have found. i'll attach a little broadhead tunning chart this will help you make the correct adjustments rather quickly. just shoot a few field tips then see where your broad heads group compared to the f/t and make the ness, adjustments then reshoot your field tips. make sure they are still hitting make what ever small sight adjustment to recenter the field tips then shoot the b/h's see if they group with the f/t. repeat this proccess until both field tips and broadheads group together.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine do the same

I shoot muzzy 3 blade 100 gr too and they shoot down and left of my field points. I just resighted my bow to the muzzy's by using their practice blades. Now when I shoot my field points I aim down and to the left of where I want to hit and I can still keep my groupings small. And when I hunt I just aim regular. It's alittle inconvienant even though my bow is in tune it still shoots off of field points. But shucks when I hunt I'm dead on. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts