Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 4 blade steel force broadheads hitting the same holes as my field points at 40 yards. I thaught I was shooting top of the line broadheads till I started reading post about them. I cant believe how many bad experiences hunters are having with them. I am going bear hunting in three weeks and then deer hunting to follow. Should I switch now and shoot something like the slick trick (I read all great reviews on them) or should I stay with the steel force.

Hoyt Razortec 70#
blackhawk vapor 413gr.
drop zone rest
D loop
scott mongoose release

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
This thread will probably need to be moved into the bowhunting forum, but to answer your question.....

If your Steelforce are shooting well for you, I wouldn't panic just b/c you read a few posts on here that were not glowing reports.

I WOULD get a couple packs of Slick Tricks though. They are one wicked broadhead and are pretty inexpensive. It never hurts to have more than one option in your quiver. :wink:

www.slicktrick.net

You can order direct from Gary right off his website! :thumbs_up

Good luck, and practice, practice practice!!!!

-ZA206

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Shot placement is the KEY to harvesting a animal... If you are grouping at 40 yards like you say you are with your field points and broadheads then stay with what you have .. Just make sure your heads are razor sharp and you make a well placed shot.

I have tested many many broadheads fixed and mechanical and have never found a well placed sharp head that did not harvest that animal. I was a butcher for 35 years and know how to put an animal to sleep fast and painless.

So just be confident in your equiment and practice and take a well placed shot

STAY CALM...PICK SPOT......AIM >>--->

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Steel force broadheads kill game fast

but I have had trouble with them comming apart in foam. Solution, practice with your field points and kill with your steel force. :wink:

But than again, so many boadheads and so little time to try them all out. Getting a 3-pack of slick tricks would not be a bad idea either. :mg:

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
When I read these less than stellar reports about broadheads I keep two things in mind. if the animal was recovered and he is compaining about broahead preformance. well since the animal was recovered the broadhead did it's job. So his complaint is not really valid. Most times there are saying it went to far, bad broadhead. all I know is you have to be very percise with arrow placemnet. when done correctly the animals go down quickely. If your off a little bit the animals don't go down as quick. You need to know where the vitals are and how to get as many as possible with the shot angle you have selected.

if the animal isn't recovered, then what is reported is a statement of what he thinks happened, what actually went down could be something entirely different. Your eyes and mind can play tricks on you.

if you really have those steel force working like you claim, then I would use them and not think twice about it. They will put the animal down if you can do your part.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The only way I would consider switching heads.

Is if I had a problem with the blades sharpness, ability to hold an edge, or if the blades appeared weak. Most of the complaints I have seen with broadheads not working could very well have been poorly placed shots. I know every time you hear it was a perfect shot I seen the hole or what ever. But I have also helped track deer and the person says I seen the arrow sticking out behind the third rib or whatever. And when you find the deer the hole or actual arrow is in a totally different spot.

A properly placed FIELD TIP will kill a deer. I dont recommend it but if it is placed well and you wait for the animal to expire it will work. So if you do your part right even a cheap low quality broadhead will work. I have known people that killed deer with RedFury Broadheads. Their blades bend in cardboard.

If you are getting the durability you are looking for out of your head and the blades are sharp/and stay sharp to the level you want. Then dont worry about it.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your input. I think I am going to stick with the steel force but also keep some slick trick broadheads in my tackle box. I always enjoy shooting different broadheads from year to year. I always had great results with spit fire, muzzy, magnus, rockets, etc. but I have to try new things. Thanks again and good luck this fall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might want to consider taking a pack of Hypershocks, 125/100/80 gr, which range is cut between 2.75", 2" 1.375". They are the toughest, most accurate broadhead that I've ever shot (20+ years), the plus is the cut (the 80 gr is about .25" larger than most fixed blades) I've seen them take bear and they didn't go more than 10 yrds.

I feel their best attribute is their accuracy. If you can't put it in the boiler room then the blade ain't worth squat. I didn't have to do anything to get them to hit where my field points hit, other than put them on the arrows.

Good luck on your hunt and shoot straight.

When you get back let us know what happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steel Force has an excellent reputation in some circles for penetration and lethality in big game. If you have them flying like field points, you're ready to hunt.

I do like the advice about the Slick Tricks though, as a backup, say on a windy day....

·
Registered
793 Posts
I shot the steelforce last year and they shot well on calm wind days. On windy days they were all over the place with the large planing area. I took a shot on a Mule deer at 40 yards on a fairly windy day and wound up with a gut shot. Won't be shooting them this year as I have switched to slick tricks. No issues with the wind. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
stratofisher said:
I shot the steelforce last year and they shot well on calm wind days. On windy days they were all over the place with the large planing area. I took a shot on a Mule deer at 40 yards on a fairly windy day and wound up with a gut shot. Won't be shooting them this year as I have switched to slick tricks. No issues with the wind. Just my two cents.
I'll call your bluff on the wind on this one. When I tested them in the wind I was very pleased. If it was all over the place, I'll bet it was the archer. :mg:

·
Registered
733 Posts
lunghit,

I have been shooting Slick Tricks for 3yrs now, I love e'm.

But, Like they say: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it!"

If you have had good luck with your Steel Force heads, stick with them. I tried some Steel Force a couple seasons ago, but have had better luck with the Slick Tricks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.