Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had target panic all summer long and i was finally beating it and than it came back in a heartbeat. WHat happened?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
take it easy and try this

I get it too, as do most shooters. If I get pissed about a bad arrow my successive shots sometimes reflect it. The trick is to find a process to get you through each and every shot you take, panic-stricken or not. For me the key is repetition and consistency of how I execute the shot.

I have a certain way I breathe while drawing, holding, and releasing, and that seems to help me. I don't really hold my breath until maybe a second before I actually release the arrow...I used to try to hold my breath while getting the pin on target and would always hurry the shot as if I was drowning! Also, find a way to get your pin on target, and do it the same way every time. Some guys start below and come up, others bring the bow down (like me), I've even heard of guys doing circles around the target with their pin. The best way I know to find your "process" is to get 10 yards from a backstop without a target or bullseye, and take the sight off your bow, w/o worrying about aiming or shot placement...it makes you concentrate on form. You won't panic doing this. Get the process in your head and shoot a lot of arrows this way until it feels natural. Then put the sight back on and be conscious of it but don't worry about shot placement. Get used to how you get that pin on target, shoot more arrows, then eventually add a target. I shoot in my basement without a sight a lot just to work on form and procedure. Get comfortable with something and then don't mess with it or constantly tweek it. CONSISTENCY.

Find a routine and do it the same way EVERY TIME. You'll calm down and your arrows will start getting closer to the 12 ring. Much cheaper than a sports psychologist!

Aaron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts