Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of the sport for almost 20 years and decided to start again. I bought a dimond victory with release and drop down rest and some easton carbon arrows ( not the most expensive ) from my prow shop. I shot the carbon arrows at 20 yards and they place in a span of 6". I also grabbed a bunch of my old aluminum arrows and consistantly have tighter groups why? Speed is great but right now accuracy is everything. By the way first time posting Hi from alberta canada.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Welcome to AT Scott,
To achieve good flight your shafts and bow have to be matched correctly (tuned) a good starting point is the Easton site it has a tuning guide you can download with easy to follow setup instructions.
After this my site archery fix has some more info and by using the Archery talk search button you can get a good cross section of advice.
I personally feel that a club coach is the best way to start
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have always found better groups with aluminum arrows. They are larger diameter that carbon with make them easier to get your string behind the arrow for the center shot. Also for the most part aluminum are straighter than carbon except for the high dollar carbons that are just sorted out and the straight one grouped together. But also it could be many things in you situation such as the aluminum arrows that you have just happen to be the correct spine and the carbons are not. Good luck and welcome back to the sport.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did paper tune my bow after the first hundred and it rips a little to the top but not more than a quarter inch. But if your bow is not tuned properly will your groups spread out or will they simply group in a different spot on the target? Also how does one find a good anchor point using a release do i need to go to a kisser button or what. Thanks

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
You didn't say if you're using a kisser button or peep sight, if not you should look into getting one or both. These will help shrink your groups.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts