Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I shot my larget buck so far at ten yards quatering away, but i couldnt find him tonight. I know it was a good hit the arrow is covered in bright red blood and the arrow stayed in the buck for about thirty yards before falling out. The reason why im worrying is we couldnt find much blood just drops here and there. This would be only my third kill with a bow and i dont really know how confident i should be that the buck is dead. He went through some grass that is over 6ft tall. I will be waking up and looking for him in the morning any tips or comments on the shot or how to find him?

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Dont stop looking. Get on your hands and knees. If it was covered and stayed in him for a long time like that, he is dead. You hit the opposite shoulder.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
i'd be out there tonight if i were you, get a light made for showing up blood and grab a buddy to go with ya

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I waited for 30 min before we went after him and we looked for about an hour with not a whole lot of blood to follow. Also the arrow fell out but it went all the way through because the fletchings were all covered in blood.

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,546 Posts
Get some hydrogen peroxide, flagging tape, at least two knowledgeable friends, a couple of lanterns. Go to the last blood and spread out and move slowly and look at EVERYTHING before you advance an inch. If you suspect something is blood, spray it with the peroxide and it will confirm or deny the presence of it. Good luck and be patient.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Get some hydrogen peroxide, flagging tape, at least two knowledgeable friends, a couple of lanterns. Go to the last blood and spread out and move slowly and look at EVERYTHING before you advance an inch. If you suspect something is blood, spray it with the peroxide and it will confirm or deny the presence of it. Good luck and be patient.
This!

Also, how far did you get from the area you found the arrow? Did you mark right where you found it?

A lot of hits I have seen where the arrow stayed with the deer for a bit, there wasnt a whole lot of blood untill probably a couple seconds later. Deer running for 2 seconds is a lot of covered ground.

·
Back down to ground level
16,090 Posts
The high grass will rub the blood off before it hits the ground. Look on the bottom side of any leafs on weeds he may have ran through. Take a dog with you if you can. Look hard on the other side of the field where he may have come out of the grass. Good luck, hope you find him.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You already did the smart thing by waiting till today. Now just go SLOW. Dont move 1 yard without proof. Dont try to guess where he went and dont let your buddys get impatient and ahead of you. Look high on the tall grass and on the underside of the blades as well. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sounds like a dead deer to me. Probably not much blood with the arrow lodged in and then high grass. Be persistent, you should recover him.

·
Registered
376 Posts
might depend on where the holes are at. if they are kinda high then it might take a little while for the blood to rise up high enough to start to come out good

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
FOG WALK!! Get as many friends and family members as you can and return to the last place you found blood and start walking!! And don't stop till you find the deer or have walked two miles....Good Luck and I hope you recover him!!!!!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
any luck?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Oh no not another thread already? I feel terrible for you guys that have this happen, been there done that. I hope you find it!

·
preparation>opportunity
3,074 Posts
I'd say if you haven't found him and there is water near by check near there

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,546 Posts
Any luck?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
If you made a good quartering shot he's dead.I shoot alot of deer quartering and poor blood trail is not uncommon unless you have a low exit.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
If the entry is high the blood wont be as prevalent at the beginning of the trail. If it was a hard quartering shot the arrow could have went in to the fletching and still not produce an exit. Keep looking it sounds dead to me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts