Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I will let someone who is a little more well versed in this than myself explain this to me. I just received a new riser in the mail. It's the fivics vellator. I also received my spig zt rest and spig click button plunger. I'm new to bolt on rests (always used stick ons) and I'm having a problem. The plunger hole and bolt hole do not allow for enough clearance when mounting the two accessories. The collar on the plunger hits the bolt head, so it can not fit firmly on the riser. Just wondering if any one has any thoughts on how to fix this, or if I should just go with it as is. Thanks all.

Will

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Slide the rest forward. There is room. The arrow should rest on the flat piece of the wire, not the upward curved piece. And bolts are cheap. If there is interference with the bolt and plunger, cut the head of the bolt so you can snug the plunger. I've got students with this set up, there generally has been no issue, as the two plunger holes are far enough apart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is not enough space between the two holes.
Possibly, the Beiter PL66200011__ "slotted nut, length 11 mm" can solve this problem.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
Those plunger holes don't look far enough apart unless you find a bolt with a smaller head, or modify that bolt head. That's a shame really. Go to your local ACE hardware store and look for a 5/16x24 socket head cap screw. They will have one. It might fit without alteration.

·
Detected rambling:
884 Posts
Or cut yourself a spacer from a tube big enough to fit the 5/16"x24 thread and small enough to fit behind that bolt. A spacer ring from your hardware store might do the trick as well, maybe cutting a recess for the bolt-head.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I've seen this before....replaced the rest bolt with a socket head bolt instead of the button cap one and just to be sure there wasn't a clearance issue (there wasn't but...) used a nylon washer/spacer that help the plunger from contacting it.

·
12 stepper for gear...
4,182 Posts
Another option, quick and easy, is to file the one side of the bolt head. Once the rest is bolted on, you shouldn't need to adjust it. You can then add the plunger. If for some reason you do need to move the rest, you will need to remove (or at least loosen) the plunger first. Not a big deal as you would need to anyway... Takes less than a minute to file, and doesn't really add any time to the process of moving the rest as indicated.

·
Pronounced like 'RC Cola'
1,305 Posts
Another option, quick and easy, is to file the one side of the bolt head. Once the rest is bolted on, you shouldn't need to adjust it. You can then add the plunger. If for some reason you do need to move the rest, you will need to remove (or at least loosen) the plunger first. Not a big deal as you would need to anyway... Takes less than a minute to file, and doesn't really add any time to the process of moving the rest as indicated.
This was my first reaction to the picture. I would do this first. Well assuming you already have the tools necessary. If you don't have anything to file it down, then yeah maybe going to ACE and finding another bolt that fits with better clearance would be faster.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Use a stick-on rest.

·
22,536 Posts

·
Lowered expectations
17,096 Posts
How about just using the plunger to mount the rest? Once you have your center-shot set, you never move the plunger anyways.

Or you can grind down the head of the bolt easily if you have a drill and a file. Put the bolt in the drill (by the threads, obviously), clamp a file to a table, and grind down the bolt head until it fits.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Sell this arrow rest, buy a stick-on rest.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Look, I know the Vellator.

There's no workaround, especially if you're going to remove your plunger every now and then. You could change to. SM740 plunger with a tapered collar but it would cost you more than getting a Shibuya Ultima rest.

·
22,536 Posts
Look, I know the Vellator.

There's no workaround,
You might know the Vellator, but you don't know all the possible workarounds.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Those plunger holes don't look far enough apart unless you find a bolt with a smaller head, or modify that bolt head. That's a shame really. Go to your local ACE hardware store and look for a 5/16x24 socket head cap screw. They will have one. It might fit without alteration.
Bingo - use an alternate bolt. :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I used to use a ZT and this problem drove me insane. I used to use the plunger itself as a way to lock down the rest but that actually does not work. The rest pivoted over time and changed the arrow height on the bow. So scratch that idea. Ended up getting a socket head bolt but it still scrapped against the plunger as I tightened it down. Ended up having to take the bolt to a bench grinder to reduce it's diameter. Hopefully you dont have to go to that much trouble...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Home Depot should have some nice stainless hex head bolts in the drawers to pick from. That button head is your problem. Sure you could grind it flat where it hits. but that's ugly.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I use the same rest, and I turn the bolt head down in a lathe...Anything that can be used to reduce the diameter of the bolt head down will work, and make for a rock solid mount of the rest and plunger....I'm not real sold on a stick on rest either...I just don't trust bow parts that are held on with sticky tape....LOL....Jim

·
22,536 Posts
Jim, I trust a lot of stick-on rests more than I trust wrap-arounds. Glad we have choices.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts