Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so late last night im watching this hunting show on tv and there guide tells this guy a bull moss is legal to shoot. it turns out it wasnt. why pay a guide money if they have no clue what there doing. how do some of these gudes get there guide license?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I dont know if it was the same one but a while back i saw one were the bull was to small by like 2 inches.Some times things happend we all make mistakes.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You never hunted moose eh? You would be able to tell a moose if his 48 or 50" ? never had a deer you shot and when you got to him he was smaller then you thought?

Why is moose diffrent?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If it was the same show i saw, the moose had to be 50 inches, the guide told him it would be close, but it was up to him on weather he pulled the trigger or no not. He {the hunter} was warned it could fall short, he shot anyway. Hard to measure a moose on the hoof. The dude that shot him paid the fine, Well's was his name if it was the same show.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diffrent show seen the one you guys were talking about this guy said for sure it was a shooter and told him to shoot they were ;ess then 1/2 mile away from it with top of the line spotting scope.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Why is moose diffrent?
Actually - moose are different. IMO, it is much harder to see a 2" difference on a 50 to 60" frame mounted on a 1500 lb body. Most hunters here have a hard time telling the difference between a button buck and a doe.

In truth - it happens. But if it keeps happening to a certain outfitter, guide or hunter you can be certain that the game wardens will notice. Once could be a mistake, twice is a warning, third time it starts to look intentional.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually - moose are different. IMO, it is much harder to see a 2" difference on a 50 to 60" frame mounted on a 1500 lb body. Most hunters here have a hard time telling the difference between a button buck and a doe.

In truth - it happens. But if it keeps happening to a certain outfitter, guide or hunter you can be certain that the game wardens will notice. Once could be a mistake, twice is a warning, third time it starts to look intentional.
ya i guess your right but why air something ike that.

·
Registered
872 Posts
:dontknow:

Cause they needed the footage to fill up the time slots they had already sold...

·
P#NW045
12,716 Posts
this happens all the time. I used to live in AK so i have seen my fare share of moose. They are very hard to judge with on other than about 55"+

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Because they show how easy it is to make this error in rack judgment and it show its ok to make a misstake as long as you own up to it .What do you think the wardens would do if a hunter makes that mistake then tries to hide it or just leaves the moose there to rot ?? They would put you in jail or fine you so hard you will never worry about getting a license and coming back!

This is a great new trend that these shows and celebs are owning up to and showing alll the misstakes that they make .It makes us realize we are not that much differnt than they are we just enjoy annonimity in the real word and on line they do not have that luxury.:zip:

·
Registered
891 Posts
this happens all the time. I used to live in AK so i have seen my fare share of moose. They are very hard to judge with on other than about 55"+
Yep, unless you have decades of experience judging moose on their feet, it is very challenging tring to judge a moose that is in the 40-50....happens more often than thought

1 - 11 of 11 Posts