Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd issue after tying in my brand new podium peep that I'm trying to decide if it's the peep or something else. After getting the peep all adjusted for the correct height I adjusted my D-loop to be right in line with my peep so it would pull the peep back straight. Pulled the bow back and nope, peep twists way off the the right. Long story short, to get the peep to pull straight I have my D-loop coming almost out to the right at 90 degrees when the bow is resting and not drawn. The wierd part is the peep is angled a little to the left. I'm trying to get a pic to post.

Every peep and D-loop combo I've tied in over the last 20 years tells me that's just not possible. However, this is the only way I can get the peep to pull back straight and at that it's still just a hair off.

Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a pic of the bow at rest. It’s hard to see but the peep angles to the left and the D-loop way to the right. Again this is the only way to get the peep to pull back straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
STEP 2, is to press the bow, and relax the bowstring. We are going to work the top end loop of the bowstring, and get the peep pointed dead straight ahead, with the bow at brace. Add or Remove 1/2 twist to the top end loop of the bowstring. YOU have to figure out what direction to tweak the top end loop. If you "don't believe in EVER removing" twists from a bowstring, then, FINE, only ADD enough extra half twists to the TOP bowstring end loop until you get the peep pointing DEAD straight ahead, with the bow at BRACE.

The thread is your PRETEND peep sight. Peep is pointing CROOKED. FINE, tweak the bowstring top end loop until the peep points straight.

Nope, not straight yet. Keep tweaking the twists on the TOP bowstring end loop until the peep is pointing dead straight ahead.

GREAT, you are ALMOST halfway done. Whadya mean, only half way done? You still have to take the bow out of the press (assuming you have the peep TIED IN), and you HAVE to shoot some arrows. Shoot a dozen arrows, and THEN, we check if the peep is REALLY straight at brace height or not. WHAT about full draw? That comes later. FIRST, we get the peep to point STRAIGHT ahead, AFTER you have fired a dozen arrows.

Ok. Fired a dozen arrows, and the peep is crooked again.

So, press the bow again, and go back to the top end loop of the bowstring. TWEAK the top end loop, maybe half a twist, and your peep is like this again.

Fire a dozen arrows, and if you are lucky, then, the peep STAYS like this, at brace height, EVEN after you fired a dozen arrows.

STEP 1 is complete. Peep is pointing STRAIGHT, with the bow at brace, even after firing a dozen arrows.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a bow press? If yes,
then, STEP 1 is to line up the d-loop straight back, in line with the front stab.
Yes. I have a bow press. I use it to install the peep and have been know to do half a twist in the string to get the peep and D-loop straight back and aligned.

I forgot to mention this is a new string and the Podium Peep is new to me. I always tie the D-loop on first and straight back.

I would love your help with this Nuts and Bolts as you’ve helped me out of some funny situations in the past.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
So, with d-loop pointing DEAD straight back, and AFTER you mess with the bow press and the top of the bowstring end loop (tweak in half twist adjustments), and may need to go back to the bow press, for another round, and yet another round of tweaking the top end loop of the bowstring, you will get to the "balance" point, where you HAVE enough adjustment in the top end loop, to keep the peep pointing DEAD straight ahead, AND might need to tweak the d-loop after each trip to the bowstring, but, after a few tries, you WILL get the d-loop pointing straight back, and you WILL get the peep to point dead straight ahead, even after firing a dozen shots.

Ok. FINALLY done with the FIRST half. Namely, we have a straight d-loop and a straight peep sight, with the bow at brace height, regardless of how many arrows you have fired.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
Now, we tackle PART 2, which is ZERO peep rotation. ZERO peep rotation, means exactly that. CUZ you did ALL that hard work, to get a peep to point DEAD straight ahead, with the bow AT BRACE HEIGHT, then, ZERO rotation means exactly that. PEEP rotates ZERO. Ummmm, DUH, that's why we pay all that money for a custom string, RIGHT? So, now, we just gotta do a little work to PROPERLY install that pricey custom bowstring.

So, yup, you guessed it. WE now work the BOTTOM end of the bowstring. WHAT? I heard that a bowstring is just a rope, so it don't matter what end you twist. Wrong. THere is a top end serving, a middle end serving and a bottom end serving, so a bowstring is NOT just a rope. The end servings and the center serving CHANGE things, cuz we have TRAPPED twisting pressure under those servings. So, we have the PEEP pointing straight, after we finished STEP 1.

So, for STEP 2, it's STONE DEAD simple. We just work the bottom end loop, of the bowstring, to KILL the peep rotation. SO, don't care WHAT direction your peep rotates. YOU gotta figure out WHAT direction to work the bottom end loop, to FORCE the peep to rotate BACKWARDS. So, you have a 50-50 chance. Let's say your PEEP looks off to the RIGHT of the target, at full draw.

DUH. WE want the peep to rotate to the LEFT, just enough to get to ZERO peep rotation. So, let's say you only ADD twists to the BOTTOM of the bowstring, cuz you heard that you should ONLY ADD twists to a bowstring. FINE. Let's go with that. PUT in 2 twists to the BOTTOM of the bowstring. DOes your peep rotate MORE to the right? Hmmmm. Then, let's REMOVE 4 twists from the BOTTOM of the bowstring. Peep rotates LESS to the RIGHT? Great. Fire a dozen shots. Peep still rotates to the RIGHT, just a little bit. Close, but not quite to ZERO peep rotation. Wanna guess what to do next?

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I have found when I move peep up the string and get it right height I then take the peep out, after marking the location, and take bow out of the press and shoot it a few shots then put the peep back in and it’s usually close. Maybe add a half a twist or one twist to the bottom. I’ve never done the way N&B suggest. But I haven’t had to either. Not saying he is wrong just the way I have done it I haven’t had to do it so far.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
Yup, you guessed it. REMOVE another 1/2 twist from the bottom end loop of the bowstring. So, you removed 1/2 twist from the BOTTOM of the bowstring. Peep still rotates a little to the right. Yup, you shot a dozen arrows to confirm. Peep still rotates a tiny bit to the RIGHT, at full draw. So, remove another 1/2 twist from the BOTTOM of the bowstring. Eventually, you will get to ZERO peep rotation.

At brace.

At full draw.

Yes, ZERO rotation, and DEAD straight at brace is possible. Used bow from AT. Probably a custom string. Nope, it was not zero rotation when I bought it. It is now.

Of course, when you think you have it, fire a dozen shots to confirm you have zero peep rotation.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
I have found when I move peep up the string and get it right height I then take the peep out, after marking the location, and take bow out of the press and shoot it a few shots then put the peep back in and it’s usually close. Maybe add a half a twist or one twist to the bottom. I’ve never done the way N&B suggest. But I haven’t had to either. Not saying he is wrong just the way I have done it I haven’t had to do it so far.

If a bowstring is really out of whack, then, need to do the two step process. Just tweaking the bottom end loop works, if the bowstring is really close to zero rotation.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,683 Posts
One more thing. If you are already at ZERO peep rotation, and the only thing bugging you, is that the peep is slightly crooked at brace height, here is a trick, to fine tune WHERE your peep points, at brace height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHgXMabfHA

I use a short length of paracord. Of course, a rubber string silencer works too. Need a separator between the two colors, that is THICK enough, to get a steering effect. This will NOT fix peep rotation. This is only used to point a peep sight say 1/16th of a turn or 1/8th of a turn, like pointing your peep like a steering wheel. SLide the short length of paracord further up the string, and you can slightly change where you point your peep, in one direction. SLide the short length of paracord further down the string, and you can slightly change where you point your peep, in the other direction. This is nice, when half a twist is too much of a correction for where your peep points at Brace height.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
One more thing. If you are already at ZERO peep rotation, and the only thing bugging you, is that the peep is slightly crooked at brace height, here is a trick, to fine tune WHERE your peep points, at brace height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiHgXMabfHA

I use a short length of paracord. Of course, a rubber string silencer works too. Need a separator between the two colors, that is THICK enough, to get a steering effect. This will NOT fix peep rotation. This is only used to point a peep sight say 1/16th of a turn or 1/8th of a turn, like pointing your peep like a steering wheel. SLide the short length of paracord further up the string, and you can slightly change where you point your peep, in one direction. SLide the short length of paracord further down the string, and you can slightly change where you point your peep, in the other direction. This is nice, when half a twist is too much of a correction for where your peep points at Brace height.
This is generally where I find marking your peep, taking it out then shooting it a few times and reinstalling the peep helps. Don’t know why but for me it has. I have never had one way off at brace and on at full draw or vice versa(YET)!!!! But I see where what your saying will help if you do.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I forgot to mention this is a new string and the Podium Peep is new to me. I always tie the D-loop on first and straight back.
This is a problem with your string and has nothing to do with the brand or style of the peep. Either the string is poorly made, or you have introduced a lot of internal forces to the string (end servings) that is causing the full draw twist rate to be different than the twist rate at brace. What brand is the (backward twisted) string?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took everything off and retied everything. I got here and there and everything is perfectly straight. See pic. Upon full draw the peep rotates 90 degrees and I’m staring at the side of it.

I contacted the string builder to see if it was a string build issue and he said it wasn’t an issue with the build but he would make me another one just Incase the string is comprised somewhere. I’ve thoroughly checked out the string and it looks perfect.

This takes me back to the peep. Aside from the string it’s the only thing new on my set up.

Has anybody else has this issue with the podium peep?

Any thoughts besides a new string on this one?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I took everything off and retied everything. I got here and there and everything is perfectly straight. See pic. Upon full draw the peep rotates 90 degrees and I’m staring at the side of it.

I contacted the string builder to see if it was a string build issue and he said it wasn’t an issue with the build but he would make me another one just Incase the string is comprised somewhere. I’ve thoroughly checked out the string and it looks perfect.

This takes me back to the peep. Aside from the string it’s the only thing new on my set up.

Has anybody else has this issue with the podium peep?

Any thoughts besides a new string on this one?

Unless the peep is changing size (compressing), the peep is not the cause of the rotation. If you still have doubts about whether it's the peep or the string, put in your old peep and test for yourself whether the rotation issue persists. Or ask in the 6000+ post thread created by string makers for other string makers. https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2062893

The string maker wouldn't be making you a new string if they thought the problem was the peep. They're building you a new one because they know string is doing something it shouldn't be doing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been doing this peep and D-loop process for hours now. After I have the peep pointing straight ahead at brace, perfect step 1; I proceed to step 2. After I tweak the bottom loop, at brace I am off again and repeat step one. I think something is a-miss with what I am doing. Am I only supposed to twist the loop and serving and let it work through the string? I ask because I am twisting the whole string at each loop and it affects the system just like a rope. Many thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If your serving is to tight, you will continue to have issues. If you are comfortable, take the center serving off and reserve it. When strings are correct, I’ve NEVER had to do all those steps and go through that long useless process. All I do is put a short piece of d-loop material a couple inch’s above my peep to tweak, but a half twist or one full twist in bottom loop should be good. If not, it’s your string and serving. Didn’t read how long you have had new strings on. Take peep out, and shoot bow about 50-100 shots and try again. If that doesn’t get it, contact your string builder. Or find a new builder. But most times than not, it’s center serving causes the issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts