Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM NEW TO THIS SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING ALL SUMMER FOR THE UPCOMING BOW SEASON. I HAVE GOTTEN TO BE A RATHER DECENT SHOT. WHEN I SWITHCHED TO BROADHEADS, I FOUND MY ARROWS WERE LANDING ABOUT 6-8 INCHES LOWER THAN WITH FIELD TIPS. I AM USING 100 GRAIN FIELD TIPS AND 100 GRAIN BROADHEADS. I HAVE TRIED THUNDERHEADS AND MAGNUS, BOTH PRINTING ABOUT 6 INCHES LOWER THAN THE FIELD POINTS. I ADJUSTED THE SIGHTS AND NOW HAVE PROPER VERTICAL PLACEMENT BUT THE MAGNUS FIXED BLADES SEEM TO PRINT CONSISTENTLY 4 INCHES TO THE LEFT OF POA. IS IT COMMON FOR THE POI TO CHN
ANGE FOR FIELD POINTS AND DIFFERENT BRANDS OF BROADHEADS??? I FOUND OUT THE "BAG" TARGET WOULDN'T TOLERATE THE BROADHEAD USE, REPLACED MY TARGET WITH THE LAYED FOAM STYLE TODAY. SEEM TO "CATCH" THE ARROWS WELL BUT I FIND THEM DIFFICULT TO WITHDRAW FROM THE FOAM. THE FRICTION REALLY MUST WORK!! THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
First turn your cap key off... no need to shout...

Now you have three choices:

1. shoot mech's (can't believe I said that:D )

2. Tune your bow...

3. Adjust your sights...

My personal choice tune the bow, everything will work and feel better if the bow is properly tuned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd really recommend you hit 5shot's site, or get the easton tuning guide off thier site.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/news/tuningGuide/complete_tuning_guide.pdf

I also started with archery this year, and found similar problems. Although I thought my bow was tuned in well, when I started broadhead practice this fall, I found I was dead wrong. I also found that one set of broadheads that may work well in my bow, may not work well with your setup. I'm shooting UltimateSteel 125Gr fixed broadheads as these I found shoot VERY well out of my bow, while another set shot very lousy out of my bow.

The tuning looks very intimidating at first, but it's really pretty straight forward. I started by making a simple paper tuning frame out of some scrap wood I had laying around, and tuning through newspaper (2 sheets). This got me to the "gross" adjustment. I then tuned specifically to the broadheads I now use, and found that I'm shooting my field points and my broadheads in exactly the same place, from 10yds to 30+yds. I don't shoot further than that, so I don't know how they'd work outside that range.

All in all, I spent about 2-3 hours tuning the bow (which is really shooting time, so is that ALL bad????? :D ) But now I'm confident that when the time comes, if I don't screw anything ELSE up, then my shot will go exactly where I want. [offer valid only for heart rates under 250/min]

-Butler

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
5 shot said:
There are lot's of reasons why this happens. If you go to my site, www.broadheadtests.com you should find answers to some if not all of your questions. Just click on the tuning section.
I second 5-shot on this,and contrary to popular beleif, your bow should be tuned to shoot mechanicals as well..;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts