Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on a good point and shoot camera for bowhunting pics.

Thanks.

·
Enjoying Archery
1,182 Posts
A little more detail might be good. Are you looking for something small and compact to carry with you when you are hunting for general picture taking? Perhaps something a little bigger with more zoom. I carry a my old Canon S2IS. It has 12X zoom and takes pretty dang good pictures. A little big and heavier than I would like but it takes standard AA batteries and has image stabilizer. I have carried it three years stalking mule deer in the badlands and it has taken a beating and still works fine.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Hey dx
I use a Nikon Coolpix that I bought for my wife's bday...moderate zoom in a small package...About the same as a pack of cigarettes...I carry it in my shirt pocket especially in the cold weather to keep the batteries warm and charged.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a ultra compact Sony Cybershot 10 mp, with 3x zoom but the auto-focus died. It took decent shots, but now I'm looking for something with more zoom, decent in low light, somewhat compact.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx150_is

Never used this model but it looks fairly decent for what you are interested in doing..
That's pretty much what I had in mind. Somewhat compact with good zoom. I was also looking at one by FujiFilm that was much less expensive and had 18x zoom.

I guess all the cameras this size have pretty much the same sized sensor so they will have about the same performance in low light conditions.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey dx
I use a Nikon Coolpix that I bought for my wife's bday...moderate zoom in a small package...About the same as a pack of cigarettes...I carry it in my shirt pocket especially in the cold weather to keep the batteries warm and charged.
I noticed these cameras have 5x optical zoom now. That's good for a camera this size. Not sure if that would fit the bill or not...thinking of trying a cam with more zoom, but also want it to be somewhat compact. I tote enough stuff into the woods while hunting. lol

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-W90-Waterproof-Pistachio-Green/dp/B0039237H4

I got one of these last year and it has been awesome. Waterproof ( I have even taken pictures under water with it) and shock proof (it has survived unscathed from 2 falls onto the leafy ground from my tree stand of about 15 feet).
Good quality pictures ( for a compact digital camera) 5x optical zoom and does 720p video with decent sound.
Mine goes with me everywhere. Kayaking,fishing,hunting and mountain bike riding and hasnt failed me yet.

if you cant find the W90 i do believe it has been replaced in their catalog with the WG-1

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
I had a ultra compact Sony Cybershot 10 mp, with 3x zoom but the auto-focus died. It took decent shots, but now I'm looking for something with more zoom, decent in low light, somewhat compact.

Well scratch out my recommendation!!!I was going to say a 10 or 12mp Cybershot..Why you need so much zoom?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reviews for the Pentax WG-1 weren't that good from what I read.

Mossy - the Cybershot is a good compact point and shoot camera for the money and I'll probably get another at some point. Just trying to get opinions from bowhunters. Often low light conditions, and zoom would help get closer to the action.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Get the one with the largest sensor, and not too many megapixels. Somewhere around 10 megapixels is more than enough, unless you intend to print very large. The smaller the sensor and the more the megapixels, the worse it will be in low light.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I like the Pentex Optio series. I have the W30 but think the newer ones are higher.

Water Proof, Dust Proof, Has Macro Lens, and is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket. Think the new ones have 10 megapixels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts