Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a bit big fan of knives and am amazed at some of the work I see some of the members on here do when it comes to knives. So I figure rather than constantly ogling over the knives that I see I might as well try to give it a shot.

I'm coming into this as a complete and total noob. A blank canvas or block of steel if you will :D. I need molding, shaping, and direction I have no idea where to start. Nor do I know how much room, tools, etc I may need if I want to get started trying this.

So I'm open to anyone and everyone willing to take the time to help. As of right now what I'm wondering is: Since I've never done this before am I better off trying my hand at this with something like a kit, or should I consider another route? While I hopefully aspire to be able to be a good knife maker and taking a piece of steel and transforming it into a razor sharp work of art I just don't know what direction to take that first step on that journey.

I'll say thanks in advance to anyone and everyone willing to help and also for the patience should I start firing off a brazillion questions about this :cheers:

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you guys are saying bypass the kit idea and hop right into making one out of a block of steel?

·
Registered
607 Posts
kits are not custom

if you buy a kit..your just assembling a knife, not making a knife.

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll look into that Squawsach I checked out your link and it's awesome. I have no idea at the moment how to even build any kind of forge or where to even get started going it from where I'm at. The idea of buying some blanks seems like a viable option at some point.

Also I know you mentioned in your thread about a better way to cut out a blade rather that just a hacksaw and I saw something online while looking into it. Someone mentioned using a drill bit to drill around the pattern you draw on the steel essentially making it "perforated". So you're cutting through smaller parts of the steel at a time rather than a solid piece. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've done the drill thing and it's 6 of and half dozen of the other. I am a little faster just using the hacksaw. It takes time to drill all those holes. I now have a metal cutting bandsaw. The bandsaw is a little quicker than the hacksaw.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'll look into that Squawsach I checked out your link and it's awesome. I have no idea at the moment how to even build any kind of forge or where to even get started going it from where I'm at. The idea of buying some blanks seems like a viable option at some point.

Also I know you mentioned in your thread about a better way to cut out a blade rather that just a hacksaw and I saw something online while looking into it. Someone mentioned using a drill bit to drill around the pattern you draw on the steel essentially making it "perforated". So you're cutting through smaller parts of the steel at a time rather than a solid piece. Any thoughts on this?
Where are you at? Check out bladeforums, knifedogs and the plethora of other forums dedicated to knife making. You will most likely be able to find somebody close who will help you with the heat treating. Knifemakers are some of the most generous people I have ever met. By the way, I have a delta 1x42 belt grinder that sure beats the heck out of files and I picked i up for $50... Belts aren't too bad, call the guys at trugrit and they'll get you started, just trust their recommendations, they know what they're doing.

Most of all, good luck and welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The online tutorial by Squawsach is very good and highly recommended.

Check with your local library too. The $50 Knife Shop (2nd edition I think), by Wayne Goddard, is a good read. Also there is a book called Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It!, by David Boye that has some good information in it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
517 Posts
The online tutorial by Squawsach is very good and highly recommended.

Check with your local library too. The $50 Knife Shop (2nd edition I think), by Wayne Goddard, is a good read. Also there is a book called Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It!, by David Boye that has some good information in it.

Good luck!
just got my $50 knife shop book (been reading it slowly), now i'm just saving my money to get the supplies i need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts