Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
Elite Rezult 37” 50#, Galaxy Sage Elite 62” 35#, Sanlida Miracle X10 68” 35#
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m shooting a 35# recurve at 27” draw with 30” 700 spine Easton Legacy arrows with 100 grain points and my point on is at 15 yards…does that sound right? At 20 yards my gap is about 5” above target. They are grouping within 4” but just doesn’t seem right t. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where are you anchoring ? The short pile on suggests a high anchor, depending on the rules you are shooting to you may be able to face walk and string walk to adjust distance, but as a starting point would suggest top finger corner of mouth assuming you want a longer pile on (28 ish @ 36 lbs ish this gives me pile on @ 55 ish )

·
Registered
Mins, Gillo, Uukha, Dryad, Caribow user. ILF fan, WA3D instinctive competitor
1,379 Posts
Get lighter arrows will help, those legacy are bricks, I'm not a fan.

lower your anchor a little, and if it was me, shooting competitively in WA3D, I'd try and get it out to the upper 20's-30yd POD.

I have the opposite problem and got my anchor as high as my goggles will allow to get it down to 30.

·
Registered
785 Posts
A lighter arrow might give you greater speed and a higher point on. A shorter arrow will also help, and a lower anchor. My set up: 1716 arrows, 29 inch shaft, NIBB points, anchor at the lip and holding just over 30# (three under) gives me a point on of about 35 yards. Your point on seems very short, but there are variables as described.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds like there is some tuning issues as well as a very high anchor point. I shoot 35.5 pounds on the fingers with an ILF style set up for trad recurve divisions. I shoot 29.5 inch 600 spine Victory 3DHV's with a 150 grain point and have a 28 inch draw. I use a 3 under anchor with my index knuckle joint up under and slightly behind my cheek bone. My point on is 44 yards and I have no problem covering longer distances out to 80 for NFAA field rounds. I would say check the tune of the bow and move your anchor down to somewhere between index finger to the corner of the mouth to index finger resting under the cheekbone. I prefer the cheekbone as it is a solid anchor point

·
The business is finished
3,067 Posts
I shoot at 33# with a 27.5” easton carbon legacy 600 shaft and 200 grain. Heads. I anchor middle finger corner of the mouth, thumb knuckle to back of lower jaw curve and feather to nose. Point on is 25 yards.

·
Registered
Elite Rezult 37” 50#, Galaxy Sage Elite 62” 35#, Sanlida Miracle X10 68” 35#
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone....I did lower my anchor and now point on is 20-25 yards with same arrows. I'm going to try a little string walking to see if I can get more distance and have some shorter arrows to try too. But I can live with my results so far as I'm just a backyard shooter...but always looking to improve!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like there is some tuning issues as well as a very high anchor point. I shoot 35.5 pounds on the fingers with an ILF style set up for trad recurve divisions. I shoot 29.5 inch 600 spine Victory 3DHV's with a 150 grain point and have a 28 inch draw. I use a 3 under anchor with my index knuckle joint up under and slightly behind my cheek bone. My point on is 44 yards and I have no problem covering longer distances out to 80 for NFAA field rounds. I would say check the tune of the bow and move your anchor down to somewhere between index finger to the corner of the mouth to index finger resting under the cheekbone. I prefer the cheekbone as it is a solid anchor point
Yeah, those arrows are super light. I bet your total weight is 337grains with 150 tips because thats what mine came out to be. BTW- most traditional classes the yardages are much closer, less than 40 yards so having a point on at 40 yards would be a disadvantage in my opinion. I would much rather have a PO at the most common distance of around 20-25 yards.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks everyone....I did lower my anchor and now point on is 20-25 yards with same arrows. I'm going to try a little string walking to see if I can get more distance and have some shorter arrows to try too. But I can live with my results so far as I'm just a backyard shooter...but always looking to improve!
Also, if your bow has re enforced limb tips use fast flight strings. They are much faster than dacron strings

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
String walking only shortens your point on.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, those arrows are super light. I bet your total weight is 337grains with 150 tips because thats what mine came out to be. BTW- most traditional classes the yardages are much closer, less than 40 yards so having a point on at 40 yards would be a disadvantage in my opinion. I would much rather have a PO at the most common distance of around 20-25 yards.
Just came home from the Fresno Safari. yardages were from 2 yards to 101 yards. The standard NFAA field round varies from 20 feet to 80 yards. The hunter round goes from 10 yards to 70 yards and I believe the longest shot on the animal round is 60 yards. This is why I have a 44 yard point on. A lot of other shoots around here have a max distance of 40 yards but that really isn't a problem since my gap from 13 yards to 25 yards is almost the same, My gap at these distances is just about 1 to 1-1/8 inches in the riser window. The joys of a fast arrow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just came home from the Fresno Safari. yardages were from 2 yards to 101 yards. The standard NFAA field round varies from 20 feet to 80 yards. The hunter round goes from 10 yards to 70 yards and I believe the longest shot on the animal round is 60 yards. This is why I have a 44 yard point on. A lot of other shoots around here have a max distance of 40 yards but that really isn't a problem since my gap from 13 yards to 25 yards is almost the same, My gap at these distances is just about 1 to 1-1/8 inches in the riser window. The joys of a fast arrow.
What class did you shoot in? I never heard of traditional class shooting 80 yards. Every traditional class I have ever shot in is less than 40 yards with most at 20yards.

·
Registered
277 Posts
NFAA field archery shoots to 80 yards.
This is traditional archery forum guys, keep on topic. No traditional archery class is going to shoot at 80 yards. Traditional recurve and Traditional long bow will always shoot shorter targets than modern recurve, etc.

Field archery in my opinion is not a traditional class. You can choose to shoot a "traditional" bow in the class but that would be dumb. That would be like shooting a traditional bow in compound class.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
This is traditional archery forum guys, keep on topic. No traditional archery class is going to shoot at 80 yards. Traditional recurve and Traditional long bow will always shoot shorter targets than modern recurve, etc.

Field archery in my opinion is not a traditional class. You can choose to shoot a "traditional" bow in the class but that would be dumb. That would be like shooting a traditional bow in compound class.
NFAA formed in 1939. What kind of bows do you suppose they were shooting?

·
Registered
277 Posts
NFAA formed in 1939. What kind of bows do you suppose they were shooting?
Why would anyone in their right mind would want to shoot a traditional bow at 80 yards? The best bare bow archer in the world- John Demmer III can't even consistently hit the 10 ring at 50 meters and even at 20 yards indoor! Go watch some youtube videos. The best of the best cant even hit center consistently and they are using the latest modern bows with machined risers and carbon limbs and using rest with plunger. BTW- I guarantee back in 1939 they werent shooting 80 yards

·
Registered
185 Posts

I’ve been competing in NFAA field tournaments for the past 8 years in the traditional or longbow category and was faced with 80 yard targets every time. While some wouldn’t consider a basic ILF recurve to be “traditional” the longbow certainly is.

And a few regular competitors were definitely using what most would consider a “traditional” bow.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts