Archery Talk Forum banner

Points that stay

656 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  uscg4good
Points on wood or insert for carbons,alum. What magic tricks do you have to keep those points from never coming off. Add to that your secret to keeping those screwin tips from loosing up. Looking for the perfect John Wayne point, one that wont take nothing off of no target. Thanks Wooly.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
On screw in points run threads of point in bowstring wax will work great unless using left hand fletch. On glue on points use a tourch to burn oils out of point then use a smaller tapered dowl rod with sandpaper wrapped around it and sand the inside of point. Then Glue up.:thumbs_up

· Registered
3,008 Posts
With screw-ins, like Longbower said, I put a little string wax on the threads and tighten with a pair of pliers. For wood points, it's important to have good contact between wood and metal for the length of the taper. A lot of taper tools product a convex surface that limits the amount of glue surface. I either soak my taper points in thinner or clean them individually with thinner and a cotton swab. Most have oil and other stuff inside that don't allow a very good glue surface. Prep is everything.

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Quick Stick from Kustom King. I clean the inside of my glue-on points with acetone, sand them a bit, and rarely loose one. When I do, it's usually because I goofed.

Chad

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Teflon tape - get it cheap at your local hardware store in the plumbing section. Apply about 3 wraps in a clockwise direction, then screw in the point. No mess, no leaks, easy to use and easy to get the points back out. Oh yeah, did I mention CHEAP? :darkbeer:

· Registered
717 Posts
Sorry if this is a hijack, but it's relevant.

For tuning where cutting the shaft is likely, what glue do you use for the inserts (carbon/alum) so they can be removed and glued in again. I do have some two part epoxy for the final length/glue in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.