Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have heard of this one. It worked great for me when I was a kid. I used to get Poison Ivy, Oak and or Sumac all the time and I had it bad to the point my legs would blister and weep. I used to have to get shots to make it go away. My grandfather's friend recomended this. Take a sock and put about two or three cups of oatmeal in it. Run it under warm water and knead it a little. Once wet, squeeze out the excess water. Once the extra water is gone, you'll get this slimy white extract from the oatmeal. Rub this over your poison as you would calamine lotion. I would keep a small bowl of water close in case the sock and oatmeal became too dry. Let it dry over your rash. Reuse as the itch comes back. It takes away the itch and dries out the poison in just a few days, and that was in my extreme cases. You may need a refill of oatmeal if all the slime (I think it's starch) is gone. But one good sock full usually lasted me for the few days I needed it. I hope this helps those who get the rashes. I will never forget how miserable they were when I was young. Luckily, I don't get it that bad any more. I remembered this tip after finding a few dots of rash on my lower legs after hunting morel mushrooms this spring.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That works good, also banana peels. You rub the peeled banana peel, (banana side toward the skin) over the affected area.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Banana peel is amazing stuff, never heard of it for that before, but it works wonders on Athletes foot and cold sores. I was told eating lots of cashews works to heal poison oak and is preventive against getting it?? good snack if nothing else I guess :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I used to scub myself down with ajax or something like it when I was in landscaping.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Take baking soda and milk ix in a bowel until it makes a paste apply to infected area immediate relief soothes and stops the burning use until ivy is gone usually three days

·
Registered
91 Posts
my aunt used to paint my feet with white shoe poilish it would dry on it and the itch would go away .sounds bad now but work real good back then

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
Meat tenderizer take some and water make a past and rub it on .It works great in a day or so it's all gone.I bought a book of home remedies it was in there ,a guy at work had gotten it bad ,he used it and the next day it was gone .

·
A.T.Under Sophist
20,852 Posts
Take a hot shower. Have the water as hot as you can stand. Run it on the sores. This causes the histamines in your skin to release and will relieve the ich for a time. Repeat as necessary. The key is the water has to be as hot as possible.

They also make this stuff called Zanfel. Its a creme that has an abrasive in it and when you put it on it is absolutely heavenly. The itch goes away and you may not even need another application to be cured in a few days. The downside? This stuff is RIDICULOUSLY expensive! Upwards of forty dollars for a one ounce tube.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Bleach

I used to get it every summer from our lake cabin in my teens. The best meathod that i found was to either itch it until it bled or to take my bone saw for gutting deer (had an 8" serated blade) set it on edge and scratch all the bumps away and get a tub of as hot I you could stand water and bout a half a gallon of bleach. Usually was dried up within 2 days and now I don't seem to get it anymore not sure why maybe I'm just a little brighter and stay away.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My brother takes a wire brush and scrubs the rash until it is raw.Then he puts laqauer thinner on it.He swears it works.(I think he was dropped on his head when he was young,maybe several times).I like to think I'm smarter than him.:shade:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The lacquer thinner actually works....any kind of solvent like that will work. It dries it up really quick. I work with solvent based inks and I can get my hands on just about any thing I want. The thing that works the best for me is MEK (Methel Ethel Keytone) that stuff works wonders.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Take a hot shower. Have the water as hot as you can stand. Run it on the sores. This causes the histamines in your skin to release and will relieve the ich for a time. Repeat as necessary. The key is the water has to be as hot as possible.

They also make this stuff called Zanfel. Its a creme that has an abrasive in it and when you put it on it is absolutely heavenly. The itch goes away and you may not even need another application to be cured in a few days. The downside? This stuff is RIDICULOUSLY expensive! Upwards of forty dollars for a one ounce tube.
The hot water trick i've used. Work great instantly if you have nothing at hand. I use it for more than just that. FOr any kind of iche from bug bits, to ichy eyes. works great, but then again i like hot showers so I can stand hot water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had it really bad last year, where I'd have gladly removed limbs with a hacksaw to clear the itch. I tried the extreme pain meds that I had and the neighbors could come up with not much success, until I filled the tub with HOT water and jumped in at 3am. After the initial scream, the itch was gone. The hot water trick works to kill the itch. This post so far is the best list in one place I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Shower in dawn dish washing liquid right after exposure. It acts as a degreaser, therefore washing away the oils of the poision

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
hot tub or spa with high chlorine in it is prolly the best way i could think of

·
Registered
219 Posts
Shower in dawn dish washing liquid right after exposure. It acts as a degreaser, therefore washing away the oils of the poision
I use rubbing alcohol on a cloth to break up the oil right after exposure. Ivy Cleanse is just alcohol on a moist pre packaged towelette...quite handy when needed.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Cheap hair spray,takes away the itch and drys it up. Costs about a $1 and thats for the really cheap stuff. The more alcohol content the better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What has always worked for me, is I wet the area first with water and sprinkle heavily with salt. Then I scrub it into the skin for as long as I can take it, breaking the blisters. Next, add a little more salt until no more will stick. Then let it completely dry, and dust the salt off. It may take a couple of applications if new blister appear, but the ones you break will begin healing and soon be healed.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
As he stated, Poison Ivy is an OIL! That is why all of the "solvent" suggestions help in breaking up the residue on the skin.
If you all notice, most of the "home cures" say that the Poison Ivy will be gone in about three days. Well, duh!!! That is about how long it last no matter what you do! This is direct from my doctor, as is this bit of info: Poison Ivy does NOT spread from the blisters on the skin, as many people think. Because of it being an "oil" it will stay on your clothes, pets, shoestrings, whatever it has come into contact with, until washed away. The fallacy about the "spreading of the ivy from scratching the blisters" is, in reality, due to the oil being under your finger nails and is spread when you scratch in that manner!
That is why you sometimes get the Poison Ivy in places that you say is IMPOSSIBLE to have spread THERE! :D
I work outside and my biggest problem with Poison Ivy is in walking through it to do my job, and then untying my boots at the end of the day. The Poison Ivy is on my boot laces and then is between my fingers from handling the laces and then gets spread if I do not wash my hands right away after removing my boots! :thumbs_do
There are some good ideas here as well as some "old wives tales", regarding cures and such.
Take each for what it is worth and most importantly, watch where you are going and what you are touching!!! :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts