Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ACTUALLY tested out any or all of these materials? Is one better than the other or is it just marketing BS? I see a bunch of Power Dry items at Cabelas but am more interested in warmth. Or are they all basically the same warmth?

·
wolfey
4,122 Posts
They are all different. The power dry makes a good baselayer where thermal pro high loft is an insulation midlayer. I know power dry and power grid both wick moisture much better than the high loft. Power dry is also smooth on the outer surface so it's easy to layer without sticking to your midlayer. I mostly use power grid and thermal pro high loft pieces as mid or outer layers when I'm active. The power grid isn't as warm high loft so I use that when I'm working hard in the cold.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
wolfey
4,122 Posts
Sorry forgot power stretch which has spandex to fit more form fitting. The spandex content adds to the dying time so I like power dry instead.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Powder dry gets saturated with sweat.

If you want a good, light, and vapor permeable base that is inexpensive get serki pcu level 1 that has 3% or so silver coated fibers in the material. Best that I have found and I have tried it all.

The serki comes in short bottoms (underwear), t shirt, long bottoms and quarter zip tops.....just do not dry it with high heat in a dryer.....I hang dry mine.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info thanks folks. I have 100% merino base top & bottoms. Just looking at what to get for the insulation layer.

·
wolfey
4,122 Posts
Good info thanks folks. I have 100% merino base top & bottoms. Just looking at what to get for the insulation layer.
For midlayers the high loft fleece works best I think. Thicker grid fleeces would be my second choice like this https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-sds-½-zip-cua4.
I have this north face and it's a great midlayer but I like my melanzana high loft hoody the most but that's a hard one to acquire these days (I have ebay send me notifications whenever new melanzana listings come up).

·
wolfey
4,122 Posts
Powder dry gets saturated with sweat.

If you want a good, light, and vapor permeable base that is inexpensive get serki pcu level 1 that has 3% or so silver coated fibers in the material. Best that I have found and I have tried it all.

The serki comes in short bottoms (underwear), t shirt, long bottoms and quarter zip tops.....just do not dry it with high heat in a dryer.....I hang dry mine.
Ever hear of fishnet baselayers? I haven't tried them yet but hear they're great in cold weather. Instead of wicking moisture away from the skin the more open netting let's the moisture evaporate off the skin and vent out the top. The shirt doesn't feel as wet and clammy that way and keeps you dry instead of feeling sweaty like a normal baselayer does. They just weird so not something you'd want to wear in public which is why it's not more popular.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Wiggy's make fishnets.....but I will stick to the pcu level 1 stuff.

I have been very happy with the Wiggys products that I own.....looking for an overbag right now.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Polartec fleece is very good for insulation layer but it will hold moisture in so you may want to pack it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have 2 pair of power stretch bibs and a long sleeve. I love them. They're warm and very minimal. When they're on sale, they're hard to beat.

·
wolfey
4,122 Posts
Aren’t most fleeces highly breathable? Or does polartec add some wind shear lining?
Yes most are breathable and I hike in with mine on if I'm not carrying a lot of weight like a stand and sticks for example. Some polartec fleeces aren't very breathable like their windpro or hardface fleece fabrics. When it's really cold I can't just wear a baselayer to walk in with I'll wear a fleece and if I sweat I'll change out my baselayer top when I get to my spot. That's about all you can do in some conditions.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Aren’t most fleeces highly breathable? Or does polartec add some wind shear lining?
Almost all fabrics are breathable to a degree....most windproof fabrics are not breathable.

So, yes fleece does breath somewhat. It really depends on that particular fleece material and how thick it is. I wear fleece hoodies to work out and they hold body heat in but not to the same degree that a windproof top does.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
The second one that has 3% silver coated nylon.

Halys.....you can get boxers, short sleeve t, long bottoms and long sleeve quarter zip tops.

I usually find them for around $15 a piece shipped.....you just have to keep looking and be patient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts