Archery Talk Forum banner

Has the High Cost of Gasolien hurt archery in your area?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Oh deffinatly.
The amount of tournaments I have been able to make has gone down hill by at least 50% because of gas and plane prices....

·
32,876 Posts
The high cost of gas has hurt in ALL areas of life, not just archery. I have thrown in the towel with SASS due to traveling expense. I try to stay at home all I can to save money and keep it out of the hands of the mega rich oil companies. They are laughing all the way to the bank and stacking money to the ceiling. They made a statement recently that they had so much they didn't know what to do with it all. It will eventually work it's way into the food markets and all branches of our way of life. Please don't get me started on those blankety blank .............. :angry:

·
Registered
365 Posts
yes!

not just archery but all forms of recreation, camping, fishing, hunting etc.

i just filled up at lunchtime and i dropped $50.00. i'm starting to take notice of the monthly gas bill. thankfully i have close to a zero commute - i can't imagine how some folks are coping with a monthly gas bill fast approaching a mortgage payment!!

and we have it good! people in other countries routinely drop twice what we pay.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I thought you weren't going to post anymore Tink????

I voted yes....................

I don't know if it hurt us around here locally, but at national events I think it was a factor.....maybe not a big factor but a factor none the less

·
32,876 Posts
LHpuncher said:
I thought you weren't going to post anymore Tink????

I voted yes....................

I don't know if it hurt us around here locally, but at national events I think it was a factor.....maybe not a big factor but a factor none the less
Tink didn't say he wasn't going to post anymore, he said he was to post less often. Thats what I ascertained from his post.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I voted yes though I'm not really sure. I haven't done 3D in a while because of all the things my kids are into and having to get our new home established. I hope to make the last of the tounaments though. We have one every 2 weeks until the the end of August I think!?! That just leaves me two. Man where has this year gone!

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's hard to tell for certain unless you start asking a lot of folks, but it has curtailed my longer distance traveling. When it starts costing more to drive to the shoot than the shoot itself, then I rethink the whole thing. I'm more likely to try to go with a group now.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Gas Prices

Gas prices.................
I find it sad that we are now complaining about paying what the rest
of the world has been paying for gas for quite some time.
Next we'll be complaining about taxes........
Visit a country like Panama, you'll really see what our taxes do for us, like a paved road you can actually drive on, not connected potholes.

I don't like listening to complaints when there really isn't anything to complain about. We have it soooo good in this country and we all take it for granted. Sit back and see what the rest of the world has, we are all pretty lucky.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think it will help the locals in our area. We have allot of people from the twin city's coming up and messing up all the hunting. So the gas prices will keep the locals out hunting the good spots and not be messed up by hunters with new equipment that have never shot there bows.
just my .02
matt

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Gas is just a fraction of the expense associated with driving, for instance I get 40 cents a mile for driving my vehicle on my job. I drive a Dodge with the Hemi and it's notorious for poor gas mileage, I get 17-20 mpg. & even at 15mpg gas at $2.30 locally is only a little over .15 per mile. Not that it's not important, but not a major deal.
Most of our local shoots are suffering because of other reasons.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hoyt bowhunting said:
I think it will help the locals in our area. We have allot of people from the twin city's coming up and messing up all the hunting. So the gas prices will keep the locals out hunting the good spots and not be messed up by hunters with new equipment that have never shot there bows.
just my .02
matt
sounds a little greedy to me! if its public land everyone has the right to mess up your hunting.. heck i have as much right to drive all the way from texas and hunt it if I wanted to...
greedy hunters are one of my pet peeves :thumbs_do . Especialy if its public land. There are people in the texas National forest that think they own it just because they have been hunting that spot for 25 years. :thumbs_do :thumbs_do :thumbs_do

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The gas prices have definately hurt me, I have my own views of why they are the price they are, but I won't go into that crap. I am going Elk hunting in October to Colorado. I have been putting away $50 a paycheck for the last 3 months, just so I can afford the fuel cost. :mad:

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I Would Think So

Participation is off this year compared to last year. I feel fuel costs have cut the longer trips out for some. Looks like participation is way down for the NFAA Nationals this year and don't know if it is the new location, fuel prices, or fear of the high heat kept people away. We didn't go this year but it was totally unrelated to any of these.
Jbird

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gas Prices.

It's $6.00 a gallon for diesel here at the moment Tink, and to answer your question my friend, most definantly . :mad:

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
Onza said:
Gas prices.................
I find it sad that we are now complaining about paying what the rest
of the world has been paying for gas for quite some time.
Next we'll be complaining about taxes........
Visit a country like Panama, you'll really see what our taxes do for us, like a paved road you can actually drive on, not connected potholes.

I don't like listening to complaints when there really isn't anything to complain about. We have it soooo good in this country and we all take it for granted. Sit back and see what the rest of the world has, we are all pretty lucky.
Onza . . . bad comparison. The rest of the world has useable, governmnet funded mass transit. We continue to build highways and reduce mass transit. I don't mind paying what the rest of the world pays for gas when I have an alternative.

Also, many other parts of the world are already using alternative fuels. In places like the Netherlands, nearly half the cars are powered by natural gas.

Also, Exxon/Mobile has had record profits for something like 12 straight quarters. Our high gas prices aren't due to oil shortages or the war in Iraq or anything other then price gouging. The oil companies have a congress, Senate, and white house full of their allies who have done NOTHING to reduce gas prices.

The other side of the coin is we have built our lifestyles around highways, being able to live wherever we want and driving everywhere . . . in big cars! While this is our own doing, it is the way it is and you can't expect gas prices to nearly triple in 3 years and have people not complain or feel the economic pinch.

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
In answering the question, ABSOULUTELY! Our boat has spent the summer in the garage because of fuel costs. We haven't taken any long vacations because of fuel costs and I have certainly skipped some big archery shoots this summer PARTIALLY because of fuel costs. I just set my bow up at the beginning of the year for 3d and was going to go to the ASA shoot and the Rinehart 100 but didn't feel I would be competitive enough to justify the $100.00 or so in gas. Were gas less expensive, I'd have been there.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.