Archery Talk Forum banner

Would you pay $500 for a non-resident Ohio Deer tag?

• Yes, getting a chance at a Big Buck is worth $500...

Votes: 39 18.1%
  • No, no deer is worth $500...

Votes: 177 81.9%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Alrighty $500 non-res it is:wink:
I will bet you a case of adult beverages that they don't raise it to $500. Nice dream for you though :wink:
Dan

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
We Buckeyes continue to welcome all NR hunters, and the fees are probably a good bargain right now. $125 for the license and $24 for deer tags. However, I do think Ohio should charge non residents exactly what their home state charges us to hunt. What could be more fair? I personally have spent a small fortune in Colorado! And in Ohio, unlike many other states, license monies go into wildlife enhancement, not into the state's general fund. So you feel like the money is helping to improve the sport and not being wasted in some unmarked slush fund in Columbus.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
If the fees for non-resident deer tags increased from $24 to $500 would you still hunt in Ohio?
Despite this poll's insignificance as far as actual change, I can't see any non-resident who hunts Ohio voting "yes, raise my costs and associated fees please!" even if they do feel they'd accept a hike.

·
Banned
3,149 Posts
Yes, I would still hunt it. Even at that price it is worth it to potentially bag a giant only 8hrs from my house.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Nope, but then I can shoot six deer in VA for $54 so $24 for one doesn't sound like too good a deal either.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
States are getting carried away with "non resident" fees... When they want you to pay elk prices for whitetail it's out of hand...

·
Complaceny Breeds Failure
4,434 Posts
We Buckeyes continue to welcome all NR hunters, and the fees are probably a good bargain right now. $125 for the license and $24 for deer tags. However, I do think Ohio should charge non residents exactly what their home state charges us to hunt. What could be more fair? I personally have spent a small fortune in Colorado! And in Ohio, unlike many other states, license monies go into wildlife enhancement, not into the state's general fund. So you feel like the money is helping to improve the sport and not being wasted in some unmarked slush fund in Columbus.
Nice post. I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
only ppl that would want a 500 dollar tag fee would be ppl from ohio to stop out of state ppl from comming. If big deer mean more then ppl out of state comming to spend there money in your gas stations, grocery stores etc...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bow hunted there and it cost me $150 not $24. :confused:

And no, it's not worth $500 .
Yea, I paid $150 too. I've been to ohio twice and hope they keep the price where it's at now. I still spent a lot of money there after we payed for a place to eat, sleep, gas, etc...

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,216 Posts
Our race team travels into Ohio to race and we spend a lot money in Ohio. Gas, passes to get into the track, dinner/breakfast, hotel rooms, etc. To us its the experience of traveling to different race tracks and getting better.

The race tracks know they need out of state racers to make it and succeed. Guys come from Michigan and Indiana to race in Ohio, some feature events, you have more out of staters in the field than locals.

The non-resident hunter pays his fees, and just wants to hunt. In a bad economy, one should applaud the ones that still can travel to hunt, why make them pay more?

Aren't we all brothers and sisters of the stick and string or do our state's boundaries keep us separate?

·
4,434 Posts
only ppl that would want a 500 dollar tag fee would be ppl from ohio to stop out of state ppl from comming. If big deer mean more then ppl out of state comming to spend there money in your gas stations, grocery stores etc...
No, the only people who would support a raise in the NR fee's are the residents of Ohio that are concerned about the current status of our deer herd. I welcome non-residents to Ohio. However, since Ohio has become one of the biggest buck destinations in the U.S., the constant flow of non-residents into the state needs to be recongnized and dealt with accordingly.

I believe Iowa has been controlling the NR flow into their state very well by having the lottery system as well as increased license fee's.

There is a happy medium that can be met to allow non-resident hunters as well as ensure there will be plenty of big bucks to hunt in Ohio for years to come. That's all I'd like to see.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I would pay $500 to hunt still since it is so close to PA and I can still have a decent chance at getting a deer due to the fact I can scout more.

I wouldn't pay the $400-500 to hunt Iowa and other western states because it would cost a fortune in travel and a possible guide needed due to not being able to scout.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
no i wouldnt.....

but when the 150 motels, 2000 gas stations, and 300 little dinners go out of business or take a huge hit during the hunting season...

you can only blame yourselves.

I think its funny....of all the states that offer out-of-state hunters at a reasonable price...Ohio seems to think their deer are worth more?? i just dont get it.

all you guys in Ohio that come to PA for bears, pheasant, grouse, and turkey are all going to pay an extra $250 Ohio resident fee.

or how about when Ohio resident drive to Maine for a bear hunt....should those prices be raised because they have more and bigger bears then your state??

·
Registered
181 Posts
$150 plus a $24 tag is a bargain for the quality deer you guys have out there. $200 for an out of state archery liscence here in CT. Granted you get 2 either sex tags and 2 anterless tags, but it is still out of control. They just doubled all of our fees in CT. $124 for an out of state firearms liscence then another $100 to buy a shotgun or muzzleloader tag. The big problem most of us have with the increase is that all of the money is going into our states general fund instead of into the Environmental protection fund. They are gonna price a lot of people out of hunting. I guess when you live in a left wing state those are the consequences.

·
4,434 Posts
What is wrong with the idea that Ohio should charge non residents exactly what their home state charges us to hunt?

I can't think of any more fair scenario than that.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
no i wouldnt.....

but when the 150 motels, 2000 gas stations, and 300 little dinners go out of business or take a huge hit during the hunting season...

you can only blame yourselves.

I think its funny....of all the states that offer out-of-state hunters at a reasonable price...Ohio seems to think their deer are worth more?? i just dont get it.

all you guys in Ohio that come to PA for bears, pheasant, grouse, and turkey are all going to pay an extra $250 Ohio resident fee.

or how about when Ohio resident drive to Maine for a bear hunt....should those prices be raised because they have more and bigger bears then your state??
I don't hunt PA and likely never will. Your McDonalds and BP are still there.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts