Archery Talk Forum banner

What are my chances at this stand after spooking a deer?

  • Great! That deer is a good sign!

    Votes: 76 65.0%
  • Don't hunt the spot for awhile then go for it!

    Votes: 39 33.3%
  • Forget it. You're busted!

    Votes: 2 1.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to hang a stand today at a prepared site on the edge of a cornfield, about 50 yards into the woods. This spot gets no pressure during bow season and it looks like no one's been there this summer. I set my pack down and a deer jumps up and takes off 30 yards away from me and maybe 50 yards from the field. See the poll question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be up now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me last year with two big bucks up in N. Missourri. Only thing different was that I actually got a shot off. They both basically disappeared after that day. I would only get night photos of them and would catch them crossing a highway in the morning heading into a sanctuary at 4:30am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odd thing about this cornfield is that the deer not only stage near it but bed very close to it in many areas. The cornfield is surrounded on three sides by woods owned by my company and we left an uncut buffer around the cornfield. The deer seem to like the break between the cut and uncut. It's interesting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
i think know matter what you do your going to spook deer at some point coming and going to a stand. so do what you can to not hunt one stand to much especially in the early season. when the rut comes around and your see alot of nice bucks i dont really think it matters hunt it to you get him. or intil deer active in that area slows down!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maryland bowmen said:
i think know matter what you do your going to spook deer at some point coming and going to a stand. so do what you can to not hunt one stand to much especially in the early season. when the rut comes around and your see alot of nice bucks i dont really think it matters hunt it to you get him. or intil deer active in that area slows down!!!!!!!!
I won't be there for the rut. While it gets no pressure during the Archery season, it gets A TON during the rifle season. My company leaves our land open to the public and it gets hammered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ttt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
If that's where the deer are, you have to hunt it. Either set up closer to the field to avoid spooking deer in the woods, or find another entry that would work better. You can't spook deer everytime you head in there, and expect that the deer won't pattern you. Spooking a deer once is not bad at all, but if is a repeat or even more often, that deer will run off, possible taking other deer with it along the way.

If it's a bedding area close to feed, I'd look for buck sign, and if there is sign of a good one, hunt it closer to late Oct and early Nov, just before the gun season.

My advice is to hunt the field, and when the deer pattern that stand, move back into the woods 40-50yds and catch them staging waiting for dark to feed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
I've jumped deer going into a stand the same day that I've seen real nice bucks on the same stand. Doesn't mean a thing except they're in the area, go get em!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,569 Posts
My 2 cents worth, it depends on what spooked the deer in the first place, was it the noise of the backpack or something else. Where you winded by him or her. Deer as well as other animal get spooked by many things in the woods. Wind, a big branch or tree that falls, other animals domestic or wild. I have always beleived that a spot where you hunt is in more danger if you are seen by the animal and not heard. Deer will tolerrate some invasions of there area, but my experience has been,if you get seen by the animal repeatively his or her chances of returning back to a given place declines. If this happens hunt the rut because the only thing on there minds is breeding thats there biggest weakness thats when you score for your mistakes. Deer are not stupid by no means but they do screw up big at rut time. Crazy Wolf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
The deer didn't see you UP IN THE STAND......and you didn't shoot and miss from the stand at a big buck (who would remember).......

You got no problem, my friend.....hunt the stand! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crazy wolf said:
My 2 cents worth, it depends on what spooked the deer in the first place, was it the noise of the backpack or something else. Where you winded by him or her. Deer as well as other animal get spooked by many things in the woods. Wind, a big branch or tree that falls, other animals domestic or wild. I have always beleived that a spot where you hunt is in more danger if you are seen by the animal and not heard. Deer will tolerrate some invasions of there area, but my experience has been,if you get seen by the animal repeatively his or her chances of returning back to a given place declines. If this happens hunt the rut because the only thing on there minds is breeding thats there biggest weakness thats when you score for your mistakes. Deer are not stupid by no means but they do screw up big at rut time. Crazy Wolf.
I had a brisk wind in my favor. The deer ran, but it didn't sound like it ran far. By the way, I did find buck sign in the area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
clinometer said:
I won't be there for the rut. While it gets no pressure during the Archery season, it gets A TON during the rifle season. My company leaves our land open to the public and it gets hammered.[/

HUNT ER HARD EARLY THEN ---FIRST DAYS USUALLY THE BEST ONE!!!:wink: :wink:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top