Archery Talk Forum banner

Which Aspect of Archery is MOST IMPORTANT to improve your scores?

• Equipment (bow, arrows, sight, release etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Setup (setup, tuning, speed etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a project and was wondering what most people think and which of these aspects they spend most of their time and money.

Please indicate which category you think is the most important aspect related to your improving your indoor archery scores and where you spend most of you time and money. Feel free to add comments or your thoughts...

thanks,
thenson

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt

·
Registered
541 Posts
When my form goes to pot, so does my scores. I was shooting as good as I ever have up until new years eve, since then I have been trying to get back to that form.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
Form and precision for me. I know that I have troubles with anchoring time to time and it causes left misses for me. Grip repeat-ability is also a huge one a lot of guys over look (including myself) that causes frustrations. Don't believe me? Try shooting a group of bare shafts. It will let you know awfully quick how your grip differs shot by shot.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Definately mental. If you cannot hold it together and shoot your form on a crowded shooting line, all the tuning in the world is not going to help much...

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
mental and practice

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,960 Posts
It's gotta be the equipment!!!!! AT proves that you can drive tacks at 100yds and shoot 300 30X Vegas games all day long if you just spend a lot of money on equipment......

·
FIGJAM
2,303 Posts
Having Accuracy on the list requires you to choose it as that is the end goal. I think all the other things listed will help lead to accuracy. You should probably take that off of the list. Of all the other things listed I would say that form is the most important. We all know the bows shoot better than us so getting your form to the most repeatable position for yourself is probably the biggest thing.

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments so far. I will wait until later before I post my thoughts and why I think we sometimes get the cart before the horse...

I think that some people spend a lot of time, effort and money in a specific aspect and not see the results because the sequence is out of order or we focus on item "C" when we didn't first do steps "A" and "B" first or we didn't do A, B and C in the right order...

More later...
thenson

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,243 Posts
My accuracy went way up when I started practicing from 40 yards or better. Makes anything closer look easy.

·
Socket Man
23,289 Posts
For me nothing much changed for almost 35 years of shooting until I actually stood next to a pro shooter and holy crap I had to have what he had and for the first time saw what could be done with a bow. Then I attacked everything on the list in this poll and have been trying to master all of them ever since.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I need to start with: I am a complete and total newbie. 2 weeks of league scores and thats the extent of my experience. Purchased my bow 3 days before my first league shoot.

I bought a decent bow (2013 PSE Supra). It already had custom strings and dampners on it.

I bought a used SureLoc 550 and 2X scope. Paid for an adjustable peep. Put a used Trophy taker dropaway on it. Bought the cheapest 32" stabilizer & quick disconnect I could find on eBay. Had a great shop (Spot Shooters, Holly, MI) go through it and time it, tune it and adjust it to my draw length and weight.

Started with a cheap 3 finger release, quickly switched to a wrist release (you don't realize how weak you are until you try to shoot 100 arrows).

Spent 2 hours at Spot Shooters working on form. Draw. Anchor. Sight. Pull through the release. Proper grip and wrist position. Proper stance.

League Week 1 used bargain bin arrows. Beman Bone Collector 300's. Was able to shoot about 250 arrows before first league night over 3 nights. Shot 226. Lost 9 fletchings off 11 arrows. Took bargain bin arrows back to shop. They re-fletched em all for free. SpotShooters rocks!

While I was waiting to get the Bemans back, started digging through AT and found a great arrow deal. I purchased 2 dozen new Raven Carbon Force Radial Weave 300 spine arrows, blazer fletch and had SpotShooters put in 100grain tips. Shot another 250 arrows before next league night. Got my reflectched arrows back. League night I shot 20 Beman, 20 Ravens. Bemans sprayed around the target. Ravens were almost all in the yellow. Chose to shoot the Ravens.

League week 2: shot 265, 14X. Had my first 25pt (3X) end. Actually had a problem on the 10th end. Draw Length cam came loose and all 5 arrows went 2 feet high. Was allowed to tighten cam and reshoot end. 21pts. VERY happy!

It all starts for me with form form form. I can tell when I dont relax the grip, get my anchor correct or dont push-pull through release that its going to move. The sight/scope is solid. When my form is good, I hit X's. But arrows DID make a huge difference. I know the Ravens arent the best arrows but they improved my scores. The Bemans became my outdoor home practice arrows that I don't care if I lose one.

YMMV.

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to start with: I am a complete and total newbie. 2 weeks of league scores and thats the extent of my experience. Purchased my bow 3 days before my first league shoot.

I bought a decent bow (2013 PSE Supra). It already had custom strings and dampners on it.

I bought a used SureLoc 550 and 2X scope. Paid for an adjustable peep. Put a used Trophy taker dropaway on it. Bought the cheapest 32" stabilizer & quick disconnect I could find on eBay. Had a great shop (Spot Shooters, Holly, MI) go through it and time it, tune it and adjust it to my draw length and weight.

Started with a cheap 3 finger release, quickly switched to a wrist release (you don't realize how weak you are until you try to shoot 100 arrows).

Spent 2 hours at Spot Shooters working on form. Draw. Anchor. Sight. Pull through the release. Proper grip and wrist position. Proper stance.

League Week 1 used bargain bin arrows. Beman Bone Collector 300's. Was able to shoot about 250 arrows before first league night over 3 nights. Shot 226. Lost 9 fletchings off 11 arrows. Took bargain bin arrows back to shop. They re-fletched em all for free. SpotShooters rocks!

While I was waiting to get the Bemans back, started digging through AT and found a great arrow deal. I purchased 2 dozen new Raven Carbon Force Radial Weave 300 spine arrows, blazer fletch and had SpotShooters put in 100grain tips. Shot another 250 arrows before next league night. Got my reflectched arrows back. League night I shot 20 Beman, 20 Ravens. Bemans sprayed around the target. Ravens were almost all in the yellow. Chose to shoot the Ravens.

League week 2: shot 265, 14X. Had my first 25pt (3X) end. Actually had a problem on the 10th end. Draw Length cam came loose and all 5 arrows went 2 feet high. Was allowed to tighten cam and reshoot end. 21pts. VERY happy!

It all starts for me with form form form. I can tell when I dont relax the grip, get my anchor correct or dont push-pull through release that its going to move. The sight/scope is solid. When my form is good, I hit X's. But arrows DID make a huge difference. I know the Ravens arent the best arrows but they improved my scores. The Bemans became my outdoor home practice arrows that I don't care if I lose one.

YMMV.
SupraFreak,
Sounds like you are fast tracking to become an archery junkie... Glad to see you are having fun.

Just one bit of advice... it sounds like you are relatively new to archery but you've already learned a lot... But, once you get the equipment issues settled, then lock your-self into making no further changes in anything until you reach your goal in regards to shooting. With just a few weeks of shooting, your form and shot execution processes are still developing. As you build your archery process, you will need to let certain aspects of it get so engrained into you physically and mentally that you no longer have to even think about things such as stance, grip, anchor point, and form... But those things take hundreds and hundreds of shots over many weeks or even months to become rock solid in your form.

And as you said, you don't know how weak you are until you've shoot a 100 arrows or more. Even before you recognize the results of physical strain or muscle fatigue, your mind and body are already trying to compensate for this physiological issue. I would bet that if you would video you shooting your first few shots and then video your last few shots after 100 or more arrows, you might already be able to see changes in your form or shot sequence...

What I'm saying is just to be aware that it might take many months before your physical strength gets to where it needs to be and months before you develop rock-solid form after several hundred arrows.

The other warning or caution I would give, is that it is VERY easy to spend all of your time and energy and thoughts in new, better or different equipment. Equipment can be just as much fun and just as addictive as shooting if that is what you want...

just my thoughts and continue to enjoy this wonder passion.
thenson

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
My accuracy went way up when I started practicing from 40 yards or better. Makes anything closer look easy.
Did the same exact thing. But started using the 40-45yrd targets at the tuning range at 1st only cause they were always open, everyone was at the 25-30 yrd spots which seemed to close to me anyway. Once I got used to the 40-45yrd distance the closer shots seem a piece of cake. Also been getting my closer shots off lightening quick as my confidence has gone way up with shooting longer ranges. Now starting on the 50-60yrd distance, not there yet but I will be soon enough!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I would say mental for sure. Take a look at a shoot like Vegas this year. You had pros nailing nothing but X for all of the first rounds. Then they go to a knock out round where if you miss the X you are gone, and guys started shooting much more inconsistantly. Not because thier form changed, but because their mind was incurring much more stress due to a possible elimination.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts