Archery Talk Forum banner

What will get you busted the quickest in a treestand??

• Poor camo-choice for the area you're hunting......

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No camo covering your face.....

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Not high enough in the tree.....

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Movement as the deer are approaching.....

Votes: 77 32.6%
  • Some small sound (stand-squeak, rubbing the bark, etc.)

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Movement during the draw/shot-sequence.....

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Unfavorable wind-direction.....

Votes: 114 48.3%
  • Not paying attention / deer right on you before you see them....

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • An unseen deer busts you when drawing on one you have seen...

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Other reason (please describe)....

Votes: 4 1.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be interresting to see what you fella's think will get you picked-off in a treestand the quickest?

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
Walking to close to the bedding area on the way in, hunt is all over and you're not even in your tree.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got busted

Tuesday evening at 6:15pm I had deer coming in from a thick area into my 20-30 shooting lane, well I got anxious and was watching the middle deer not knowing that the first deer was watching me so I got up grabbed my bow and hooked the release then I got a loud blow and they were all gone. So there ain't no doubt it's movement!

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
NateBonebusta said:
Tuesday evening at 6:15pm I had deer coming in from a thick area into my 20-30 shooting lane, well I got anxious and was watching the middle deer not knowing that the first deer was watching me so I got up grabbed my bow and hooked the release then I got a loud blow and they were all gone. So there ain't no doubt it's movement!
exactely..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wind/Scent

Unfavorable wind/scent will get you every time.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swoosh said:
Walking to close to the bedding area on the way in, hunt is all over and you're not even in your tree.

Very true Swoosh, but the poll is in reference to AFTER you are in your treestand...:wink:

Your point is well-taken, however......there is no doubt that undetected entry and exit are critical......

·
Registered
470 Posts
I voted other

I have the Tree Lounge stand....and it sticks out 18 feet pass the tree trunk. I have been spotted several times because of this....I need a new stand...maybe a Viper Rzr SS....

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
I am lucky enough to actually never to have been busted in a tree stand. I try to play the wind yada yada, but never had one pick me out and bust out of there.

Now I have been in the tree and have been skunked many times. So did they bust me and silently sneak away I don't know.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I voted movement, but it kind of also ties in with not being high enough in the tree. The higher you are the more movement you may be able to get away IMHO.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Got Lucky

On Tuesday I got my first whitetail buck from a treestand or otherwise... Just as I was about to draw my shoe made this little tiny squeek... That deer stared me down forever but for some lucky reason he still came buy...I killed him 8 steps from my tree... I couldn't believe my luck...He was a younger deer so I think that helped...:wink:
P.S. This was the first year I hung a tree stand and I am hooked... I thought spot and stock mulies were fun but I have to say this race is a dead heat...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Without question, it is swirling wind. Sometimes in the mountains, the wind will be light in one direction when you get in the stand. Then it will shift and swirl from every direction after you get up the tree. This is extremely frustrating and will get you busted quicker than any thing I know of. If movement is most people's problem, then they need to learn to sit still! That should be a given-

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hunter2005 said:
On Tuesday I got my first whitetail buck from a treestand or otherwise... Just as I was about to draw my shoe made this little tiny squeek... That deer stared me down forever but for some lucky reason he still came buy...I killed him 8 steps from my tree... I couldn't believe my luck...He was a younger deer so I think that helped...:wink:
P.S. This was the first year I hung a tree stand and I am hooked... I thought spot and stock mulies were fun but I have to say this race is a dead heat...

Congratulations on your first bowkill!!

Hopefully, there will be many more to follow! :)

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I think the wind is our worst enemy. Even when we do everything we can it ends up shifting on us and we may never even see who or what busted us.:confused:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Movement and sound when drawing the bow. And for the wind. Forget the wind just hunt.
matt

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nothing ruins a hunt faster than hearing a big doe stopping her foot and snort weezing a ridge over because she got a wif of your scent no matter how careful you are. It makes you wonder how many times you have gotten winded by a mature buck and didn't even know.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts