• Eat well, dont excercise at all

Votes: 15 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been disscussed many times here and thought we would get a feeling for everyones thought.

This year I have shot bow and havnt hit the gyms like in past and it shows in my archery and health. Need to eat better also.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Too many years sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen for me.

I REALLY need to find the time to workout (I'm almost twice the man I used to be-LOL), but between 2 jobs, 2 businesses and 4 kids, I barely have time to sleep.

Pulling my bow a few evenings a week right now is about the only exercise I get (unless you count chasing my wife-but that's a different story;) ).

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be

From those that are not posting, maybe between shooting, family and work there may not be time. I was told that most archers never train or workout other than archery. Good be!

I know for sure some of the pros run, go to gym.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I lift weights, and run on the treadmill with wrist weights.
Here's what I've been doing here and there when I have time and energy......
10Lb barbells as FAST as I can crank 'em out
30 reps bicep curls
30 reps ummm......I dunno what ya call 'em, but starting from arms length around waist, bring up along spine in front, stopping about chest height.
20 pushups
25 reps resistance tube anchored in the middle standing, doing back muscles
25 reps the other way doing shoulder/chest muscles
1/4 [email protected], 1/4 [email protected], 1/4 [email protected] incline setting at 4 MPH all treadmill running with 1Lb. wrist weights.

Final step.........Sit back and cooooooooool down!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Little Work Outs

I run a mile every day. Every other day I run with an extra 40 lbs added to an old Alice pack straped to my back. After the run I try to shoot a little to try to get the shoot off between heart beats.
Then as many situps as I can do in 5 min. then try to shoot again. After that as many squats as I can do in 5 min. Then try to shoot again. Cool off for awhile then start to practice for one hour without a sight every other day. At work when its slow I will pick up a 10 lb weight with my bow arm at full extension and try to hold it for as long as I can. 45 seconds doing this is a killer!
Anyway thats what I do, right or wrong, it works for me.

Charlie

Nothing IS Perfect, Except A Perfect Release

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I just joined that Curves for Women program and it combines aerobics in between 12 weight lifting stations. Talk about a work out in 30 minutes.

I found it is starting to help my arm strength as well as losing a little bit of weight - like I really need it! LOL

Scoobs

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Bar in kitchen doorway for chins and stuff. (It's a great incentive - I'll have that next Guinness if I can do ... number with my palms facing forward/backward;) )

Weights two/three times a week.

Shooting most days.

Not overdoing the fried stuff... I love it, but know it's bad for me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Weights - Four times a week.

Cardio - seasonal. Summer (4 times week); Winter (2 times a week).

I am running a corporate challenge 5k in two hours.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Geez,

Y'all make me look even more like a "mouse potato" than I really am.

You should have seen me in the "Good Ole' Days", tho'...

-Walkman

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Lift weight with a trainer and do some pretty intense cardio 4 X a week. Has really helped my shooting, especially 3-D. I also got my trainer into archery. He tagged out in 2 states his first year bowhunting.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I try run about 20-30 miles a week and lift 4 times a week. Must be why I have been between 3-7% body fat my entire life. Now days I am slowing down a little, but not much. Last year I went to an alumni track meet and an a 51 sec 1/4 mile and ran a 4:40 mile. Not too bad ;). Oh yeah, I weigh 175# and bench press 275#. I wish I could lift more, but time is just not there right now. Maybe someday. I think that weighs and running improve your holding and all day shooting form.

LeEarl

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TTT

TTT

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TTT

TTT

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
World Champions

I was told by another member that being fit to compete on top level archery is not something one needs to do to acheive this goal. I ask a couple that I know in PM and they said yes cardio and endurance is something you must have. Sometimes judging others by looks alone is not saying they are not fit or dont excersise. Please continue to post and give your feelings on conditioning for archery.

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
I shoot 700 arrows a week, 5 days a week, so I have no time for anything else. :( If I had the time I'ld be weight training. However finish work at 6pm, eat dinner then shoot till 1am everynight makes anything else hard to fit in.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I voted for eating well and no exercise - assumed eating well has nothing to do with eating healthy, but rather not missing any meals, lol :D. If I assumed wrong then I need to change my vote, hehe :D!

>>-------->
Culver's (frozen custard) afficionado ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I jog 2 miles four times a week.

Weight train three times a week.

I also try to make sure I take rest days to let myself recoop.

I average 70 arrows a day in shooting.

The thing for me is to make sure it stays fun and not get stale... that's when you can run into problems and give up on something that is working for you. Keep it fun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
12 or 16 oz curls 4-6 six times every evening, along with some serious silverware lifting to face 3 times a day and numerous squats every evening in front of the tv with 4-6 runs to the refrigerator (see above curls). Man...it'll wear you out!!!

Just kidding, I'm diabetic so I need to work out every day. But being deployed and working 12 hours a day at nights doesn't bode well with working out.

When I do make it to the gym it is a recumbent bike, 30 minutes in the work mode for hills. It'll burn your legs. I use to do the elliptical machine but it just didn't give my muscles the work out I wanted. I need too get back to lifting. Just the work schedule is normally conducive to sleeping during the day.

Since I started shooting again, I can feel the old muscles awakening...and I love every minute.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts