Archery Talk Forum banner

Which best describes your use of game-camera's?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
first year using one and we got pictures of elk, deer, big 4x4 mulie and possibly a cougar.

very interesting to know what hits your secret little spots.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I would love to use them, but I have had a problem in the past with stands walking off:rolleyes: so I've been a little leery to invest in trail cams. I can see how they are very addictive.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Couldn't manage without them.

Trail cameras are a major part of my overall whitetail management tool bag. We create a large part of our deer harvest strategies from them every year. To me, they are an invaluable management tool.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I use them. I don't know if I'd say they're "helpful" though. The cameras show what deer are around when I'm not there, but they don't necessarily help me harvest an animal. I've only killed one buck that I had a trailcam pic of and it was nowhere near the camera location. Go figger.

I think you could classify a trail cams as useful because they could help you get over buck fever or the shock of seeing a big buck while hunting if you already know he's in the area.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I hunt public land and I don't need it stolen. I will however stretch a piece of thread loosely across a trail to check for possible usage.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
the only camera i use is when we find the animal!:wink:

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
TexasGuy said:
Just curious as to how many of you use camera's these days?
I can't imagine scouting w/o them anymore. We hunt many different farms separated by many counties, so it's nice to know what is where........and when. Honestly, cams prove many of our theories on deer populations while, just as importanly, debunking others. I've removed plenty of stands this year due to what I've seen and haven't seen on film. And there's been more than one loc-on hung based solely on preseason pics. Of course, all of that info is from the summer months and things change in a hurry once the fall approaches and obviously change yet again once the rut is in full-swing. But it changes in a fairly predictable manner -- predictable due to trail-cam footage.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
what a teaser.

ive used them before. definately lets you know what is in the area. can be a teaser when you see some nice animals............but come no where close to getting one of them :wink:

camoham

·
Registered
427 Posts
RE: Trail Cameras

I find it helps me to get pictures of the bucks in my area. That way, I know what buck I want to shoot if I see it and I tend to let the younger ones walk as a result.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I don't use them, mostly because of the cost & I also don't want to have them stolen. Most of my areas are failry small and a camera wouldn't help me out too much as far as scouting goes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use them and think they're great. I have 3 IR units that I assembled myself (several good websites for it). Great for scouting trails etc. Adds a whole new dimension to the hunt too. It really pumps you up knowing whats out there even though you may never see the darn things.

I hope to zip one at this fella this season. I know there's bigger ones though, based on last season's images.

Krooz

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I love mine they are very addictive, and very helpful. I'm like a little kid at Christmas time, I can't what to get home and see whats on my chip.:)

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Just like Christmas as a kid.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Seems to help when after many years of seeing deer while out hunting then the deer just slowly start to disappear till the point you don't see anything and spend 20 days out hunting you wonder if there are any deer still around. There is they just changed the time they are traveling from morning, mid day and before sunset till most well after dark. Seems that the States plan has changed their patterns and thus you know deer are around just when you are not out hunting them... Seems to help keep some interested when you hardly see any deer year after year. The last 8 years we have gone from seeing a lot to seeing maybe two fawns for 30 days of hunting, it is a good tool to help with the boredom also you know there are deer near by now you just have to be at the right place at the right time but that is not in your favor with the high number of Antlerless Permits they have given out the last 8 years cut the population in half if not a 1/3 of what we were seeing. They cutting back on them now but it is a little too late too many taken...

I build my own, have two digitals and have parts for two more to put together. A lot of fun checking all the pictures and seeing Bucks, Does, fawns and even a Black Bear now and again...

LFM

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I use them. I like getting pics just for entertainment and also to see whats out there. Plus if I harvest one thats on camera it will add to the excitement.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use them, but no closer than about 200 yds from any stands. I can't say I've ever killed a deer because of one, but it is sure fun. It is way more fun than I thought it would be. my kids get a kick out of taking turns to go change batteries and memory cards. It has been a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts