Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to pick up my father in law’s deer today from the processor and then on to drop the skull off for a Euro Mount. Head was all bagged up so we left it sealed and then met up with dude doing the mount. Get a call about an hour later asking why we cut the nose off the deer? I’m like *** you talking about? He sends me a pic (see attached) and I m like ??? Called processor and send him the pic. He is all kinds of apologizing saying one of his new guys made a mistake and he will make it right. He says he will go get skull from my guy and take it along with a skull he has from last year to a taxidermist friend and that guy can transplant the antlers on the donor buck skull. Is my father in law screwed or does this transplant idea sound like a solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
It’s probably possible, but it won’t be a perfect match I would guess. Sucks at least he is trying to make it right.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Bummer. I don't know about a skull transplant but they sell kits you can mount to a fake skull.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Looks to me like he sold your cape to his friend. He didn't know how to cape out the nose so he just cut it off for his friend to deal with.

I personally wouldn't turn my antlers over to him to have another chance to screw them up. Yes, you can put the antlers on another skull. Find your own guy to do that and have him send the entire bill to the processor.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
ive done skull transplants, They are a pain in the butt! It works but its not as nice as the real thing for sure. Thats a bummer!

Its weird, who would skin it that far then saw the nose/face off?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Looks to me like he sold your cape to his friend. He didn't know how to cape out the nose so he just cut it off for his friend to deal with.

I personally wouldn't turn my antlers over to him to have another chance to screw them up. Yes, you can put the antlers on another skull. Find your own guy to do that and have him send the entire bill to the processor.
You might be on to something here

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The mount is ruined, plan an simple. I wouldn't turn anything back over to the processor - and sure wouldn't be using him again.

If you're in for the Euro mount, explain to the processor you'll find a Taxidermist that will do the job right. See if they offer to pay for that, if not you'll have to decide if its worth pursuing. I'm not buying the new guy cut the nose off this story.

I'd never be able to look at a full skull Euro of that rack, and not have this situation come to mind. Good luck getting this settled.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
That's a shame, a nice euro mount makes for good memories.

Rather than gluing the antlers on another skull I'd make the best of the skull the antlers grew on, just cut them off as a plate, at least it's natural.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
I don't know what to say. The processor could have said something when you picked it up. They didn't. I would look at one of those artificial skulls and make the best of a not so good deal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The mount is ruined, plan an simple. I wouldn't turn anything back over to the processor - and sure wouldn't be using him again.

If you're in for the Euro mount, explain to the processor you'll find a Taxidermist that will do the job right. See if they offer to pay for that, if not you'll have to decide if its worth pursuing. I'm not buying the new guy cut the nose off this story.

I'd never be able to look at a full skull Euro of that rack, and not have this situation come to mind. Good luck getting this settled.
The guy has done good work up to this point. He did a good job caping mine out earlier this year. He is taking it to a taxidermist for the repair at no charge of coarse. My father in law feels the rack is too nice for a cap on a plate. guess we will see what happens.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
That's a shame, a nice euro mount makes for good memories.

Rather than gluing the antlers on another skull I'd make the best of the skull the antlers grew on, just cut them off as a plate, at least it's natural.
Yeah that might be a decent option.

A suggestion for something a bit different:
the gamekeepers in Scotland often saw down from behind the antlers of roe deer to the front of the skull at about where yours is cut off.
They often employ a special jig to clamp the skull and guide the handsaw to keep the cut straight, but a steady hand with a bandsaw should do fine.

The nose ridge makes that into a sort of "classic Euro, shield-shaped (?)" or "splinter" skullplate which looks pretty good on a nice wood plaque of proper size or just mounted directly on a contrasting (darkish) wall...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah that might be a decent option.

A suggestion for something a bit different:
the gamekeepers in Scotland often saw down from behind the antlers of roe deer to the front of the skull at about where yours is cut off.
They often employ a special jig to clamp the skull and guide the handsaw to keep the cut straight, but a steady hand with a bandsaw should do fine.

The nose ridge makes that into a sort of "classic Euro, shield-shaped (?)" or "splinter" skullplate which looks pretty good on a nice wood plaque of proper size or just mounted directly on a contrasting (darkish) wall...
Whaaat, I'd like to see a picture of that

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
When I was doing taxidermy work I never did a transplant but then again, I never had to. Any taxidermist with a little experience should have no problem setting that up properly. Good luck.

·
12,017 Posts
You’d be surprised what a good taxidermist can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Whaaat, I'd like to see a picture of that
I saw it in a long article about roe deer hunting, IIRC in one of the "Hunting Annual"-type issues of one of the major outdoor magazines of many years ago.

Can't remember who wrote it, bu it had black and white photos of different skull-plate mounts, and I think may have even shown the aforementioned cutting jig.

I'll try to dig it up, but no promises; it came out a long time ago!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts