• Both eyes

Votes: 97 75.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what you think its better for target archery, specially for recurve, to shoot with both eyes opened or just one and why. Thanks!

Didi

·
Registered
784 Posts
For me, both eyes...but my right eye is very very dominant, I think from years of shooting shotgun. Most of my site picture is coming from my right eye, and I don't see double images. My opinion would be that it depends on how dominant your dominant eye is as to whether shooting with one or two eyes is best.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
There are a ton of reasons to shoot with both eyes open.

Your eyes dialate in unision so if one eyes closes both eyes dialate. This is going to make too much light get into the open eye. If you know anything about cameras (or physics) then you know a larger apeture means you are going to decrease to range of distances that are in focus at the same time(depth of field).

You also lose you stereo vision or depth perception. While that may not seem important it actually is to your brain and the way it interpretes information.

And eye fatigue can play a minor role. If you have ever had a class or job that requires long microscope hours (yah igneous petrology!!) then you might have been told not to use the microscope with one eye closed. We had to learn to look down the microscope with both eyes open and our brain learned to ignore the extra information. In fact toward the end of the class I would sit with one eye looking down the microscope and my other eye at the paper. I would focus on my left eye to see what was under the microscope then switch attention to the right eye and sketch what I saw. The point being you are capable of learning to ignore extra information.

That being said few people actually shoot with both eyes totally open. I do because my coach told me to so I did. Now we all see the double images of our sight (you should only see one target since you are focusing on that ) The way I dealt with that was to sorta blink my non dominate eye a few time to fix in my mind what was the important information and what was from the non dominate eye. After a little bit I knew what it was supposed to look like. Occasionally that 'extra information' (the image of the second sight and second riser, etc) will sorta shift forward, that is the non dominate eye fighting for dominance and usually means you are holding too long :)

Now alot of shooters (top shooters) squint that non dominate eye. It is important that if you can learn to shoot with both eyes open that you do. It will make your life easier in the long run. There really are no good reason for shooting with one eye shut other than it is easier that first. So it is your choice.

And i apologize for my spelling

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
2 words answer it. PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I started shooting both eyes last year...and its working out well. Takes the strain off my face when shooting, and also allows more light into my eyes for lowlight shooting conditions.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Didi!

Do yourself a favor and try to learn with both eyes. It is a much more relaxed feeling, closing one eye creates tension. Sighting is all about vision so why would you want to cut that in half?

G33K gave a very good explanation. Well said.

Give it an honest try.

-Chief

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I've tried shooting with both eyes open and I just can't do it. I see two of everything with the target floating between the two scopes. Really creepy. Sometimes I choose the wrong scope and miss the target butt by four feet. :eek:

I shoot one eye. Just like -> ;) (Well actually the other eye is closed. :D )

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too shoot with one eye. I'm strong left eye dominant but I never know when the old right eye is going to have a go at it. However, G33K is right and it is best to do the two eye thing if you can.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I shoot both eyes, but.......

my right eye which is my dominant eye is getting weaker than my left. Yesterday evening as I was losing light I noticed my left eye wanting to take over and I was shooting slightly left. I closed that eye and brought everything back. With my left eye wanting to take over I couldn't keep everything centered. Anyone else in the 45yr plus age group had this happen?

Randy

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Grant-KS said:
Not to mention........Didi, WEAR YOUR GLASSES!!!!!! LOL
If you're wearing glasses. Get an extra pair, and put a small peice of scotch tape (the opaque kind) on the lense, where your non-dominant eye is and this will allow you to open both eyes with the non-dominant eye not being able to see the target quite clearly. The tape will be placed off center, to the outside of the lense, and should not disrupt yardage estimation. I actuallt started using one of those "blinders" that you put on your hat. It works great.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
scooter1967 said:
one eye all the way........

i tried two eyes and seen two pins or two targets:D
Yes, but if you're right-handed (on the string), just use the "left" pin or the "right" target.

If you look at the target, you will see two pins; if you look at the pin, you will see two targets. What you see is normal, so don't be shy about two eyes (see, I rhyme).

kgk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Didi said:
I would like to know what you think its better for target archery, specially for recurve, to shoot with both eyes opened or just one and why. Thanks!
If you watch the Olympic technical movies, nearly everybody shoots with both eyes open... and *all* of the Koreans seemed to shoot with both eyes open.

kgk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...

In fact I dont wear glasses, even though ppl tell me I should. I dont even own a pair of glasses, I trew them away years ago, poor things, they spent all their lifes in my drawer...:eek:
I have a slight degree of myopia in both eyes, but I cant get used to wearing glasses...it doesnt seem worth it...
Anyways...I might consider trying again if someone proves to me its going to make difference in my shooting, bc I dont feel its that important, however, its just my humble opinion since I am no expert on this.

Hugs,
Didi

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,897 Posts
kgk you crack me up! Not in a bad way! I admire your intelligence!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Both eyes. It allows for better depth perception and overall will improve your accuracy. Good shooting.
Dylan

Get contacts. A girl from our clubs target aquirement improved vastly from glasses to contacts. Easier for string eye allignment as well.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Both eyes . . . once you learn to shoot with both eyes open, I guarantee you will be better off for it. Some people have to use one eye becasue of eye problems.
If you practice shoting at moving targets, with bow or gun, you have a much better sense of the position of your target as your squeeze off the shot. Helps for hunting when you only have holes to shoot through and you need to see the big picture to time your shots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts