Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all let me say I'm not trying to throw rocks in a glass house here! So don't everyone jump on me for asking.
Is it just me or do a lot of the bow shots portrayed in hunting shows seem to not go well? I mean they build everything up for the shot and you're expecting to see the arrow fly perfectly into the vitals. But more often than not its way too high or a" little back" or just flat nails the shoulder and they run off with 3/4 of the shaft sticking out of them. But of course the hunter turns and says "that was a great shot!" and I'm thinking "I thought it sucked!"
The deer always gets collected but I wonder how much time elapses before they track it down.
Do you guys think the same way or am I being too critical? Especially with trying to capture the hunt on video and waiting for the cameramans ok to shoot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
have you been watching knight and hale videos? ha ha ha
seems like they have more marginal hits than anyone.
for some reason this year i can't even bring myself to buy
anything they promote. their videos are just one big commercial.
total cheese.
oh look there he is (right there by the cameraman) get real!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Well...if pressure makes them shoot poorly, then they are just plain bad hunting shots. It doesn't mean crap if you can drive tacks in the yard, but can't hold it together for a hunting situation.

There are several that come to mind that I think are terrible shots on video, Stoltz, Reeve, T. Gregory are some.

"I don't know what happened...", Steve Stoltz, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Man, thought I was the only one who thought those were terrible shots! The last one I saw the dude has this chip shot, like 15-20 yards away, hits the deer way high and far right. Of course, he looks back at the camera, does a "whoo! great shot!" and flashes a thumbs-up. I'm thinking does that mean, hey, I hope this thing dies quickly, and we find it? When I watch ESPN, they only show highlights...like the GOOD stuff. In this case, I guess it was part of the blooper reel.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Alot of it has to do with pressure from sponsers to get kills on video. Kinda forcing them to take shots that they normally wouldn't. I think alot of these guys are a lot better shots than the camera shows its just having the camera there with you. But personally if i was in the situation i would strive to be even better for the simple fact that thousands of people are gonna be watching me take a shot at a deer or what have you. Just my thoughts

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
How about the one where the guys wife hits way back and they decide to leave it for the night. They find it the next morning and it's basically a skull with the rack and some bones. I don't think I would have aired that hunt. I see a lot of what I thought was bad hits too. Most shows are now just one big commercial.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Poor Shot's

I too see some pretty poor shot placement, but with the pressure of the hunt, and meeting sponsorship requirements adds an unseen pressure, but you'd think that after a few seasons of having the extra pressure they would adjust, and not have such bad shoot's, but who am I to judge, I haven't had much of a chance to hunt last year with all the hurricane's, and LOOK another one (Katrina) :thumbs_do but I did kill 2 bottle's of Captian Morgan :embarasse

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I see these hunters get on some great bucks and then deliver a lousy shot. Makes me sick. Sorry, but these folks are being passed off as really good hunters when they're not. I'll put my field shots up against theirs any day. It's just that I haven't been able to get on any P&Y bucks yet.... :cry:

·
Registered
780 Posts
i agree there are too many poor shots for people who do this for a living.
uncle ted may be wierd and will primos may be a little too emotional, but at least they can SHOOT! and if they make a marginal shot they say so.

·
Registered
397 Posts
oggie2635 said:
i agree there are too many poor shots for people who do this for a living.
uncle ted may be wierd and will primos may be a little too emotional, but at least they can SHOOT! and if they make a marginal shot they say so.

I agree!! You would think that the amateur guys on shows like Dream Season would be way more nervous than the guys that have done this for years..I personally think the pros get a " Holier than thow" attitude and probably just simply don't practice as much..I also has to be alot easier to take a marginal shot when you know you have 20 guides back at the outfitters cabin that are going to comb every square inch of the wood until they find your animal..

I'm sure it has happened to them too, but most of the shots I see on Dream Season are smokin..I think that and the fact that the teams themselves aren't so commercialized makes it fun to watch..It's only DRury and Primos for me!! The Primetime series is terrible, everytime I here Eddie Salter make that hoot owl sound I want to punch him the mouth..I used to enjoy the fellow Ky. boys Knight & Hale , but its like watching one big commercial now.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
This is scary, but I might as well jump in and try to give it another perspective...
Everyone is going to experience a bad shot sooner or later, and if you haven't then count your blessings, because it's coming...
I shoot all of the time, and last year it caught up to me. I shot a deer at sixteen yards, and the arrow hit almost sixteen inches right of where I was aiming. I wasn't nervous at the time. But I was right after that, because I did not want to see the animal suffer, or be lost.
We made every effort to portray this as it actually happened, and I did say that I hit the deer too far back, and that we were going to have to wait to recover it.
And we did..... Six nervous hours and seventy yards later!
I hope that folks who see the hunt might learn something about waiting so that they can recover their deer, instead of pushing it to the point of non- recovery....
The truth is what we should all expect. And, I get as upset as anyone else when someone in the industry trys to gloss over something, which makes the rest of us look bad.
I believe that in most cases what you see is what happened. If it is good, you see it, and the same thing for bad shots, unless the deer is not recovered...
There are just so many tags, days in an area, etc., and once they are gone, there is no way to have a "do over." So, it comes down to showing what really happened, or putting nothing out there...
The issue is how with how they portray it, in my opinion.... And, saying "great shot" is just wrong!

It was later determined that my sight had been knocked hard left when it got bumped hard before daylight that morning.
I guess I could have shot a practice shot into the ground and noticed it, but that had not been my routine.
Now, I have marks that I can check to see if it ever happens again...
Trust me, no one wants the ridicule that comes with these types of things...
Although I wonder about some things I see on TV too!

Clifford

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In all my years of bowhunting I have hit one deer where I did not plan on hitting it. It was a doe who ducked my arrow. I normally aim behind the shoulder and center mass and she squatted down far enough it hit her above the spine. When I picked the arrow up it was covered tip to nock in fat. Not a fatal hit. All my other deer have gone less than 100yds. I always wait for the best shot to put the animal down quick. I think you guys are right. Getting a kill for the camera seems to take precedence over more important factors.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I can't speak for everyone, but that is not true in all cases. We have strict guidelines on shot angles, and waiting for the right opportunity. If you don't follow them, you don't get paid, and could lose your job!

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
try counting the arrows in some of there quivers. they say good shot it went right down you see its a spine shot. when they recover the animal they sometimes have another arrow or two missing must of dropped them climbing down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts