Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have most of you found it common that you have to have your pop up blind in place 2 or 3 days before you see any deer around it. I have used a ground blind 3 times now and it seems that I have to have it set up for several days before the deer will even come around it. I have tryed puting is behind brush piles and bushes and it still takes about 3 days. Is this common I am new to hunting in a pop up blind. :sad:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not really, set up the blind with a buddy one time and within an hour had a big bear come to 40 yards clueless....set it up at about 2:00 in the afternoon a couple weeks ago and killed a deer out of it at 4:30....just gotta try not to be too intrusive, plan out what you're gonna do before you get out there.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Our deer spot pop-ups with no problem. Don't care how you brush them in. Of course our deer are some of the most pressured in the nation. I mainly hunt public land, so you could leave your pop-up out here for 3 hours, let alone 3 days without it being stolen.

I am hunting on the ground more and more every year, but I am using natural cover and an ASAT 3D suit. Great fun.

Pop-ups work awesome for turkeys though.
Dan

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I've heard that before. Think about it--if you lived in the woods and one day a blob appeared where one wasn't before wouldn't you be suspicious? I don't think deer have the same thought processes us humans, but they are more in tune with their environment than we are. May take awhile for them to get comfortable being around something they haven't seen before.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This bring up another question, how long do you leave up a pop blind? Days? I hunt private property and leave it up 3 days at a time.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
i have killed deer the same day and i have had couple bust me in a blind after it was there 2 weeks. i think deer are alot like people, you have some very smart ones and then you have some big ole dummies. man i love idiot deer!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I don't think deer have the same thought processes us humans, but they are more in tune with their environment than we are.
A mature buck, after a hot doe, is pretty dumb. No does in sight, that same buck will spook crossing your 6 hour old boot print. It may take a couple weeks for him to even use the area again, when you set up any kind of blind, natural or fabric. Does seem to pay less attention to blinds, and I've set up, and had them actually come directly to the blind 30 minutes later out of curiosity.

It depends.

I've come to suspect that even the oldest turkeys are way dumber than the average deer, as I've set up while they were coming in to a cluck, on the edge of an open field. Then shot them at 15'.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have had deer come within a couple of yards of the blind 30 minutes after setting it up, and I have had deer spook at the first sight of it. Depends on the deer I guess.

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,703 Posts
pop up

I have had deer come within a couple of yards of the blind 30 minutes after setting it up, and I have had deer spook at the first sight of it. Depends on the deer I guess.
same here.....however just like discussed above, 99% of the time the deer spook away at first sight of it. leave it out for a week and they seem to ease up but are still very nervous of it.

and then there is a few very rare times when a nice 8 pt walks right up to it after it has just been set in place...go figure?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Yeah, I agree with most of what is written. Individual deer act differently. A friend had a ground blind set up and brushed in. Used it 2-3 days later. Had a doe come up behind him while he was calling a buck in--damn thing was IN his rear window looking at him when he turned around. Scared the crap outta both of them. Then 2 day later when he went to take the blind down he saw tracks in the snow leading right up to the side window--tracks were all over the place 20 yds from the blind where the dder had a nighttime "party". Only one set lead up to the blind. Must have been the one that drew the short straw, huh? Smart or dumb they have their way of doing things....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Turkey don't seem to pay them any mind, but then I hunt farmland where they're used to seeing some human stuff. I'm with everyone else-it depends on the deer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. This answers alot of my question. I am going to try and leave it up for a week or so and then hunt it. I am running out of time here in Texas. I was getting real discouraged with the results. And tired of sitting in the blind for hours and not seeing any deer. :)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
ungawa said:
I am going to try and leave it up for a week or so and then hunt it. I am running out of time here in Texas.
ungawa,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

I was about to ask where you were from, but since you mentioned Texas, that pretty much answers that question. I don't think that there's any state that's theft proof, but I've heard many stories of "shoot first and ask later" where theft was concerned...in Texas. Especially on private ground, that sort of thing tends to make thieves think a little before attempting to trespass or steal.

Just the same, I do not recommend leaving blinds and/or treestands out...for any period of time. The time it takes to put up and take down a blind or stand, far outweighs it being stolen, once. :nod:

I agree with One eye, on the leafy type camo and ground hunting. I shot a nice doe with this hunting method, this past October. :thumb: Great fun and intense hunting.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

1 - 13 of 13 Posts