Archery Talk Forum banner

Pop-up ground blinds

874 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Apache
I was thinking of buying one (nothing specific yet) to use on public hunting land as a quick and easy setup alternative to my chain on stand. Anyone think it is possible to set one of these up on the spot of a morning or evening hunt and land a deer? Just curious if this is possible or if they are designed more to be brushed in weeks before a hunt for the deer to get accustomed to. Please advise on your experience.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
elite archery ................ mossy oak
630 Posts
double bull ------ nothing else

· Customer Service is Key
2,731 Posts
Good ?
deer see movement & smell a lot better
so I would say a pop up blind would be a good choice

no movement seen
there for a short time, less contamination of orders
Gregg

· Registered
2,188 Posts
I don't hunt anywhere I could leave a blind out for an extended time.
When I have tried it for deer they react very badly to them.
Turkey on the other hand could care less.You can set decoys at 5 or 10 yds and turkeys will come right over to them.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
The few times I've tried one it did not go well. Of course I had only set it up 3 weeks ahead of time. It's a scent containment blind also. The deer I did see never came close, they stood there at the edge of the tree line until dark just standing there looking at it. I was in the woods across an opening about 35 yrds across.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. Ive heard that turkeys are an easy setup. I will be limited to hunting whitetail only. Just don't want to spend the money if it doesn't work on a day to day movement and quick setup.

· Registered
41 Posts
The few times I've tried one it did not go well. Of course I had only set it up 3 weeks ahead of time. It's a scent containment blind also. The deer I did see never came close, they stood there at the edge of the tree line until dark just standing there looking at it. I was in the woods across an opening about 35 yrds across.
I have had the same expieriance. this last year I had it set up in a rock pile in the midle of a field. when looking from across the field, I had a hard time seeing it. But sure enough about 1/2 hr before dark some deer came out of the woods and just stood there on high alert staring at me. would not come close. I was down wind so I know they didnt smell me.

· Registered
3 Posts
If you set it up in the right spot it will work fine. I've had good luck along edges of fields(corn)and brush piles. Big thing is to play the wind just like any other time you are hunting whitetails. Scout your spots ahead of time and clear out spots for your blind. I like the double bull t2 because it's a little smaller and breaks up a little easier. Good Luck.

· Registered
7,265 Posts
I use them exclusively

For probably the last 5 years or so. It is very common for me to move one after the morning hunt and have shot oppurtunities that very afternoon or the next morning. I don't "brush in" anything.

My experience indicates that the blinds themselves don't alarm any critters, including bobcats. In my opinion, 2 things are absolutely essential. 1) Set them up in the deepest shade you can find. 2)Never open more than 2 or 3 windows, and never opposite each other. If I am not backlighted, I can move freeely without alarming any critter.

I use well weathered carpet inside to help hold down any noise from movement and I wear dark plaid or black shirts.

Last year, after I had killed all I wanted, I took my wife and her sister out to sit and watch for an afternoon. We were drinking and smoking and talking and had about a half dozen animals within 25 yards, and one bedded for about a half our within 27 yards of us.

In my opinion, if the Sun is not shining on you, or directly behind you thru an open window, you will not be seen. Just stay away from anything that gives you a 360 view.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
You can set it up for a morning or evening hunt but you will have to brush it in extremly well, deer do not like blinds, from my experiance they will avoid them if they can see them.
This is what I have found out to! Deer will tend to shy away from a "new" or forign object at first. If left up for a week or so they will get "used to it"..But if you place in some natural cover ie..brush, grass, etc. you will increase your odds. I have done the put up that morning and hunt that evening, but I stuffed the blind under a tree that was surrounded by brush and it worked, but I was basically using a natural ground blind that was already there..I would prefer a tree stand over ground blind but with a stand you need....well a tree??:shade:

· Registered
1,249 Posts
I painted my Ameristep tan and set it up in a field near a bunch of haybales. I've watched does and bucks reaction and they just don't seem to mind. As long as they don't see movement they aren't bothered by it. I'll do some more to it this year to make it more like a haybale. Maybe the deer here are just different than they are elsewhere, LOL ...

This is 25 yards from the haybales ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.