Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fulfill a life long quest to kill a turkey in every state and primarily do it all on public land. I got drawn for Pope County Illinois and going to be hunting the forest ground. Anybody have any info on the area from places to stay, things to do in the afternoons, and maybe even a few roads I need to drive and check out. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I am guessing you will be hunting Shawnee? Very cool area down there, depending on what season you drew crappie fishing the backwaters can be really good. the Shawnee is 200 thousand plus acres so plenty to see as far as terrain, there is a place west of there called the pine hills which has some really nice views.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good luck sounds like a cool thing you have going.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You don't need any help!! Just show up and you will be fine. Haha. Inside joke guys, don't start hating on me for not helping out.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am trying to fulfill a life long quest to kill a turkey in every state and primarily do it all on public land. I got drawn for Pope County Illinois and going to be hunting the forest ground. Anybody have any info on the area from places to stay, things to do in the afternoons, and maybe even a few roads I need to drive and check out. Thanks for any advice.
What season you hunting?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st season! I wish I wasn't but put in for it not thinking I would draw... I have picked up a little bit of info from a few folks that have been up there deer hunting but I have not stepped foot in the Shawnee. Its nothing new for me to go somewhere blind but I always seem to be more prepared than I am for this trip and that's why I am asking for any advice!
What season you hunting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts