Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question, why is that P&Y will not score a buck taken with a 80% let off bow. Doesn't seem right to discard the score just for that reason, I mean if B&C scores bucks taken by high powered rifles with scopes then surely I would think any buck taken with a bow would be a greater feat, no matter the let off, in my eyes.

Im sure this has been asked before, but I was just wondering

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I've got a question, why is that P&Y will not score a buck taken with a 80% let off bow. Doesn't seem right to discard the score just for that reason, I mean if B&C scores bucks taken by high powered rifles with scopes then surely I would think any buck taken with a bow would be a greater feat, no matter the let off, in my eyes.

Im sure this has been asked before, but I was just wondering
First off this should be in the Bowhunters Showcase.

Second, you've got bad information. They will score any letoff, only those with high letoffs get an * next to 'em.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
then why?
It only denotes those with high letoff, nothing more.

D. Let-Off for Compound Bows:

1. Definition of let-off: That characteristic of a bow that results in a reduction of the force necessary to increase the draw length after the highest level of draw force has been reached. This is characteristic generally associated with, but not restricted to, compound bows.
2. The maximum let-off on a compound bow shall be measured at a point in the draw cycle after the peak draw weight has been attained. It shall be measured near the end of the draw cycle where the minimum holding force is reached. This point in the draw cycle on a compound bow is known as "the bottom of the valley."
3. Determination of the percent of let-off: The values of the peak draw force and the let-off force shall be used to calculate the percent of let-off. The peak force is the maximum force obtained during the draw cycle. The let-off force is the lowest force reached following the peak force during a single uninterrupted draw cycle. In all cases, both the highest and lowest force shall be read from a scale during a single and continual pull condition, without relaxation. This technique eliminates the introduction of hysteresis, which can distort the reading.
% Let-off = 100 X [(Peak Draw Force) - (Minimum Holding Force)] / (Peak Draw Force)
4. Effective January 1, 2004, animals taken with bows have nominal percent of let-off greater than 65 percent shall be listed with an asterisk (*) in the Records. It is recognized that variations in draw length and/or draw weight can affect the percent of let-off on compound bows. For these reasons minor variations in let-off are acceptable.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm, I think its crazy to limit somebody for shooting a high let off bow. I mean, anybody can get lucky and shoot a big deer with a rifle. Takes a certain amount of skill to be successful with a bow.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
also says bow cannot be shorter than 30"
That's overall length, not ATA.

there's also restrictions on broadhead weight and size, bow/arrow-mounted electronics, arrow weight/length, and poisons.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
hmm, I think its crazy to limit somebody for shooting a high let off bow. I mean, anybody can get lucky and shoot a big deer with a rifle. Takes a certain amount of skill to be successful with a bow.
What is this limit you keep thinking exists? An asterisk is just a marker.

If you think it takes skill to be successful with an 80% compound, would you agree that it takes even more to be successful with a 60# longbow?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is this limit you keep thinking exists? An asterisk is just a marker.

If you think it takes skill to be successful with an 80% compound, would you agree that it takes even more to be successful with a 60# longbow?
sure, but I was also say that for a black powder compared to a 270. does the 270 get an *, or the black powder somehow recognized differently.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
sure, but I was also say that for a black powder compared to a 270. does the 270 get an *, or the black powder somehow recognized differently.
B&C will also accept road kill and poached animals (if entered by the State), so I wouldn't look to them for degree of difficulty standards. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts