Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a recommendation for one that functions well with the Reflex Caribou - hopefully from someone with personel experience. Sometimes that bow can be a stinker!

·
Registered
497 Posts
bowmasters protable press with split limb adapters?
it works great on my trykon.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
urabus said:
bowmasters protable press with split limb adapters?
it works great on my trykon.
Yeah, what he said. I've been using the same one with my Reflex Highlander. $38 at Cabela's plus $16 for the split limb adapters. Works great. One thing I do with it is, when tightening it down, I put a small piece of cardboard between the bowpress assembly and the bow's string and cables so that the threads of the press bolt don't rub on them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definitely the bowmaster. Put the split limb adapters under your string and then over the limb tips and it'll work like a dream!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Get a Bowmender from WWAG on here. I sold my bowmaster after getting my Bowmender. There is no comparison. The bowmaster is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
robertyb said:
Get a Bowmender from WWAG on here. I sold my bowmaster after getting my Bowmender. There is no comparison. The bowmaster is an accident waiting to happen.
Really? Why? I've been using this thing for over 5 years and it's great for making simple repairs, replacing strings and cables, installing peeps, etc. I've never had a malfunction with my Bowmaster. What's your experience with it?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I was pressing my Martin in a maintenance center with the bowmaster with no problems but when I pressed my Outback it was too short to fit the maintenance center and I was pressing it in my lap with the bowmaster. Scary as hell doing that, I could imagine the cable snapping (yes, they do that sometimes) while the bow was fully pressed sitting in my lap.

Plus, when making small adjustments like twisting up cable and strings to get ATA, cam settings and peep correct it took forever having to reset up the bowmaster each time. I am not one to turn everything a few turns and say "that is close enough".

With the Bowmender I can press the bow in a minute or two, check it out and repress again if necessary. It sits on it's own stand and is completely portable. It is the difference between day and night. I will never use a bowmaster again if a Bowmender is available.

That said, the bowmaster is a great little press for emergency situations in the field. That is what it is made for. It is not and was never intended to be a fulltime press.

Run a search on here and you will find several posts where members have had the cables snap on them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't find WWAG in the members list ----

The stuff on the Bowmender sounds interesting - would like to check further - so, WWAG, how do I contact you? I think I did the search correctly - but, who iknows!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I have used the Bowmaster for 4 or 5 years now and have had no troubles at all. None and I have never felt unsafe or scared of the press. I have used it on several very different bows, too, even some with same basic geometry and size as the Caribou. It will work just fine for you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i just got a bowmaster from keystone country store and it works great n my bowtech but i do put rags where the t-bar and cable contact the bow at the limb tips. its simple and works great imo.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
I've used the Bowmaster for several years for everything from string changing to complete disassembly and it has always worked fine. As regards the safety consideration, any bow press can be dangerous if it is used carelessly.

Robertyb talks about being apprehensive while using the Bowmaster in his lap but I don't want to be that close to a pressed bow under any circumstances. I use my Bowmaster with a bow vise, keep my mind on what I'm doing, and I don't feel the least bit apprehensive. It's a very good tool, it works with just about any bow and you can do anything with it that can be done with a full-size shop press.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts