Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of threads on AT about cat whiskers and how to tie them on, but where do you recommend they are placed on the string. Do you place at the midpoint of the top half of the string and the bottom half of the string?

· Registered
12,030 Posts
They should be placed as close as possible to the cams without getting in the way.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
In experimenting with the placement of string silencers while shooting through a chronograph, I have found that the "sweet spot" where the bow is quietest, is also the spot where arrow speed is the fastest with the silencers installed.

They reduce excess movement of the string after release and help direct this energy to the arrow, sometimes resulting in a bump of a few feet per second in speed. The reduction in noise was judged just by our ears on an indoor range.

While "cat whiskers" did quiet the bow, they provided no increase in speed and most often a decrease as compared with some of the newer lower profile silencers. Any increase or decrease, of any of the silencers is negligible in my opinion, however any reduction of excess vibration or wasted motion is. The chrongraph and our ears seemed to bear this out.

· Registered
79 Posts
In experimenting with the placement of string silencers while shooting through a chronograph, I have found that the "sweet spot" where the bow is quietest, is also the spot where arrow speed is the fastest with the silencers installed.

They reduce excess movement of the string after release and help direct this energy to the arrow, sometimes resulting in a bump of a few feet per second in speed. The reduction in noise was judged just by our ears on an indoor range.

While "cat whiskers" did quiet the bow, they provided no increase in speed and most often a decrease as compared with some of the newer lower profile silencers. Any increase or decrease, of any of the silencers is negligible in my opinion, however any reduction of excess vibration or wasted motion is. The chrongraph and our ears seemed to bear this out.
And that is? Whats the average 'sweet spot' distance from the axle you have found?

· The Impartial Archer
24,835 Posts
I agree with Rummy you will always lose speed with cat whiskers when you add them or any other silencers. The only way you might get around that (or minimize it) is to get a string with no speed nocks on it and use the weight and position of the string silencers to replace the speed nock.

I haven't tried that......way too much effort for 3 - 8 FPS.........lol. I use them to quiet the bow so I put them where they do that best. Most times it's not going to work best closer to the cams because it defeats the purpose of using them. You want to split the strings more equally not have them jammed up in the ends.

The best way to make a bow quiet without them is using a string stop.........it's will make the bow quiet but not as quiet as the whiskers........but faster if you think that 8 FPS is somehow going to make you a better hunter.

If you shoot your bow at 40 yards and then slow it down 8 FPS resight it and look at the differences it's an eye opener for many. I would suggest if you use them put them where they work best to your ear and don't worry about the speed difference. If you want speed don't use them but know you won't be as quiet either.........they go hand in hand.

You can't use a "measurement" because the bows are all different IMO.......mine worked best here......

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.