Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen these stoves that are at sutherlands, they are heavy, but that is the only downside I can find. I have a cabelas bighorn III that I am in need of a stove for next elk season. I was looking around and found this at my local sutherlands on clearance for 100 bucks. I carry all of our gear into where we camp by truck, so weight is a non issue, is there any other reason that this wouldnt work. It says it will heat 800 sq ft, cant I just build a smaller fire? Willl this thing being cast iron get too hot and burn the back of my tent?

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Look at youtube there is a guy on there that made one out of a hienkin keg (sorry for the spelling)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
How close would it be to your tent wall? You could just put a piece of almost any thing in behind the tent. Just so long as you can create a space for air to move.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
It shouldn't burn your tent but it looks kind of small for wood burning, if possible I would suggest burning coal especially in a tent because if it's cold you gonna want the stove running for long periods of time without having to stoke it as often because of the limited size.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Coal burns great.

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,266 Posts
You burn coal in a cook stove like that and you'll eventually burn the bottom out of it. The coal gets way too hot and it'll turn cherry red. I had one just like that in my barn before I replaced it with a Grizzly. The cook stove took the edge off in the middle of winter so I would imagine that it would do a pretty decent job of warming up an Outfitter's tent. You could always fabricate some type of heat deflector and put that between the stove and the tent wall if you're concerned that it might heat up the tent wall. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you can put 18" logs in it. For $100 I'd get it.

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Has anyone seen these stoves that are at sutherlands, they are heavy, but that is the only downside I can find. I have a cabelas bighorn III that I am in need of a stove for next elk season. I was looking around and found this at my local sutherlands on clearance for 100 bucks. I carry all of our gear into where we camp by truck, so weight is a non issue, is there any other reason that this wouldnt work. It says it will heat 800 sq ft, cant I just build a smaller fire? Willl this thing being cast iron get too hot and burn the back of my tent?
Wow .. I got the very same package Big Horn tent & all & yes it works just fine on those cold laye Oct evenings at 10,500 ft in SW Colorado .
Suggestion tho . find some reflective insulation panels to reflect the heat away from the tent wall .... and bring your own Hard woods ..Oak/Hickory etc it dont take much to keep that cast iron warm enough to keep that tent toasty
oh yea . you wil need a flew reducer to get the chimney pipe out the roof & its is a lil bit flimsy thats why the wire but we were experiencing some tremendous winds too

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have one just like this, that is a little smaller even, I think it would be perfect, but they dont have anymore of them in stock. You can go to the vogelzang website and check it out. Its called the LIT'L SWEETIE it looks perfect and only weighs about 75 pounds instead of 120. Oh well I will probably just buy the bigger one and save the money, I might want to use it for something else one day.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
If I were to do it, I'd get one of those ventless hang on the wall propane ones.
If you are trucking things in, hauling a smaller sized cylinder wouldn't be an issue. We use them in fish houses, I have one in the garage...
Lots of benefits...no wood chopping..more time to hunt/hang out, instant fire in the morning, returning from the hunt...

You would have to build some type of wood structure to hang it on, like a thin plywood box, but make it the same size as the heater, and slide it into it for storage.

This is actually wall or free standing
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332739_200332739

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you do use coal you will want a grate for it so it does not sit on the stove itself. My in laws have burned coal in their stoves for years and they have yet to burn through one. If you get the right size coal, it will burn all night and keep you warm.

We can find coal in our area pretty easy, but not sure about where you are at.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If I were to do it, I'd get one of those ventless hang on the wall propane ones.
If you are trucking things in, hauling a smaller sized cylinder wouldn't be an issue. We use them in fish houses, I have one in the garage...
Lots of benefits...no wood chopping..more time to hunt/hang out, instant fire in the morning, returning from the hunt...

You would have to build some type of wood structure to hang it on, like a thin plywood box, but make it the same size as the heater, and slide it into it for storage.

This is actually wall or free standing
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332739_200332739
I use propane in mine and condensation is an issue. I have an alaknak so its not the same tent but they do have some of the same qualities and characteristic.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Wow .. I got the very same package Big Horn tent & all & yes it works just fine on those cold laye Oct evenings at 10,500 ft in SW Colorado .
Suggestion tho . find some reflective insulation panels to reflect the heat away from the tent wall .... and bring your own Hard woods ..Oak/Hickory etc it dont take much to keep that cast iron warm enough to keep that tent toasty
oh yea . you wil need a flew reducer to get the chimney pipe out the roof & its is a lil bit flimsy thats why the wire but we were experiencing some tremendous winds too
That's a nice set up

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
I use propane in mine and condensation is an issue. I have an alaknak so its not the same tent but they do have some of the same qualities and characteristic.
good point they do produce moisture.

·
Registered
576 Posts
To me it seems like severe overkill. I'd see if you could locate the smaller one...which might still be abit of overkill.

I had an Alaknak and just a thin steel stove could run us outta there because of the EXTREME HEAT. lol

This stove looks cool, but 120#?? Ouch, my back hurts just thinking about loading it. :eek:

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
That's a nice set up
thanks .. the cast iron keeps the heat through out the night no problem ..might need to throw a stick or 2 in just because when you get up at night to Pee but it wil be warm regardless . the lack of tent insulation is a bigger issue than anything .. we usually put a tarp to help out a bit .
oh and other thing ..be sure to water proof your seams inside and out .. they are not done and it was lesson hard learned

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
To me it seems like severe overkill. I'd see if you could locate the smaller one...which might still be abit of overkill.

I had an Alaknak and just a thin steel stove could run us outta there because of the EXTREME HEAT. lol

This stove looks cool, but 120#?? Ouch, my back hurts just thinking about loading it. :eek:

my wife & I load ours ..its not so bad .If your loading it in the bed of your truck be sure to load it first up against the cab along with any wood you might bring . Another lesson hard learned.. if you do it last .. your trucks front end will get pretty light ,, I have an f-250 and it was not a pleasant drive from mid Mo to SW Colorado

also if theweather is really bad you can cook on the cast iron stove

·
Registered
387 Posts
If it's made out of cast iron it may eventually crack if subjected to being beat around in the bed of your pickup or being dropped occassionally. Sheet metal stoves are very durable. We ran over one and it got stuck under the bumper of the truck. We straightened it out and used it. When we got home I straightened it out completely and welded it a little and 4 years later it's still going. Sheet metal stoves also transfer heat instantly because the metal is thin and warm a tent quickly. In the tent you have the stove sits close to the wall and the wall will get very hot. I have one too (and others as well) and have made a sheetmetal deflector to keep the heat away from the fabric. It attaches directlyto the back of the stove and directs the heat upwards. Also put your damper as close to the stove as possible so the pipe doesn't get too hot and start to melt things. As for holding a fire I believe it has more to do with how dense the wood you use is and how you damp down the stove. They also make coal stoves for tents. Just remember you need ventilation. The headache you wake up with may not be a hangover but from carbon monoxide.
RG

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
If it's made out of cast iron it may eventually crack if subjected to being beat around in the bed of your pickup or being dropped occassionally. Sheet metal stoves are very durable. We ran over one and it got stuck under the bumper of the truck. We straightened it out and used it. When we got home I straightened it out completely and welded it a little and 4 years later it's still going. Sheet metal stoves also transfer heat instantly because the metal is thin and warm a tent quickly. In the tent you have the stove sits close to the wall and the wall will get very hot. I have one too (and others as well) and have made a sheetmetal deflector to keep the heat away from the fabric. It attaches directlyto the back of the stove and directs the heat upwards. Also put your damper as close to the stove as possible so the pipe doesn't get too hot and start to melt things.
RG

good points ..I have a rubber mat in the bed of my truck so it goes no where especially after packing everything around it.. I think it goes without saying you dont want to drop it above the issue of "it may crack"

we used a " sheetmetal" stove our first year it was a bit small granted but it just dont hold the heat like good old Cast Iron
to each their own I suppose . My buddies from New Mexico use a sheetmetal stove but they have to use that "Quakie" as firewood .. I'l take my cast Iron & Hickory/oak

1 - 20 of 36 Posts