Archery Talk Forum banner

Potential new archery range and shop with bar and grill.

4664 72
ATTENTION PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIVE IN MINNESOTA

Hey everyone. I live in Duluth,MN and am looking in to building or finding a suitable location for an indoor/outdoor archery range with a bar and food. YES i will serve alcohol. You drink, and you're done shooting. plain and simple. bow gets locked up in an area where employees only have access too. The indoor range is my main focus at this point. there would be a 20,30,40 yard range with the capabilities of having a 3d shoot and league setup on certain days along with open hours 3d shoot just for fun. The big range will have at least 20 lanes. possibly more. I will also have a separate 20 yard range with 5 lanes for newcomers who would like there privacy and for beginner lessons. This range will actually be a club. there will be an annual membership fee of which i have not determined yet. Individual, couple and family memberships. I can guarantee it will work out to be cheaper than any of the competition in the surrounding area. I just still have more research to do. The membership fee will give members access to member discounted prices on food, merchandise and will have unlimited free open range time(on scheduled open range days). Plus the ability to earn rewards back for purchases made on merchandise. I will run a co-ed league, womens league and youth league(womens and youth provided i get enough takers) various tournaments with prizes to win. I will throw a number out there for a membership fee. I go to a local range and shoot 2-3 days a week. so we'll just stick to 2 days a week for a more reasonable number. If i go two days a week at 6 dollars where i shoot, that is 624 dollars spent a year just on a range fee. JUST RANGE FEES. That doesnt include buying a pizza or burger or a beer or gas. so if my range/club fee was 300 a year thats 25 dollars a month. do the math, thats 3 dollars and some odd cents per time to shoot at 2 days a week. there will also be options for punch cards with various lengths of memberships. week(s) to month(s). To get people to sign up they will be entered in a raffle(10 tickets if you sign up for a membership) with the option to purchase more to win various prizes. A dozen arrows, a new mathews, and many other items. That is with a full year membership. I have a ton more i could explain but if you have questions please ask. this is a serious idea that could potentially happen if the interest is there. Oh yeah I will be selling Mathews bows if i get a dealer in there. sorry to all the haters out there. but its what i grew up shooting and the majority of people in my area shoot one.

This is my PLAN. none of this is a guarantee because i cant do this by myself but i just know that besides **** rapids MN, there isnt an archery range like this in my area. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS!!!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is called Average Joes. I am overseas in Afghanistan right now but i am gonna go up there and check it out when i get home. It looks like a great place.
3050 **** Rapids Blvd NW
Suite #116
**** Rapis, MN 55433

·
Registered
818 Posts
I would ditch the alcohol and go with everything else. You're going to get that one person in there who gets rowdy after a drink or two. If you're looking to get families and kids especially, keep it simple with food and drinks.

·
Banned
25,751 Posts
That is something i have taken into consideration. There are a lot of variables to consider with that to determine if serving alcohol is worth it financially. but yes you are right haha
IMO, you will have far less headaches without being responsible for serving alcohol to potentially some that have a weapon. Whether they are locked up or not, they have to be given their bow at some point and drive home. Not smart business IMO, just being honest bro. Hope it works out for you but you have to be smart about it from a liability standpoint and a business standpoint.

Best of luck to you !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thank you very much mdodraw29. home in a month! WONDERFUL that your wife just beat cancer as well. And to EVERYONE the serving alcohol with having weapons around is much more well thought out than i have posted. I will have a fool proof system put in place to make sure no one consuming alcohol will be able to get hold of a bow. i hope i don't have anyone that stupid for one. but its being thought out!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think it is awesome that you have a plan. I think you may find problems with licensing. Alcohol and bows and all. I think you will have a problem with the yearly dues. People in general would rather pay when they want to shoot. In the long run money wise it might save them money but 300 a year people won't want to pay it . I think that you have a lot of good ideas but your small business is to complex to start. Then there comes the money. After you have a place to do all this. Pay for all the remodeling . Then stock the place with supplies. After you have spent all this money. You will need at a minimum a 100,000 dollars in the bank. Thank God this is still America. If you have a dream,a plane, and are willing to work hard. You can make anything happen . Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
30,683 Posts
I don't recall Average Joe's serving alcohol.

It's a good shop, yes- one of several in the area. And I haven't been there for some time, so it may have changed since then- but their food was more along the lines of candy bars and frozen pizzas. They were good pizzas, but still just frozen ones.

I don't like the idea of yearly dues. The new place in Rogers does that- and unless you commit to the monthly pass, you pay through the nose for shooting time. So I go a different shop, that charges by the day.

I think mixing an archery range and a bar is a bad idea.

But good luck to you, anyway. I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no average joes does not but that style of range is what i'm going for as far as multiple ranges and a 3d setup. its just not that common. And since a yearly due isnt for everyone, there would be an option to pay by the day but it would just cost more. MN chick do you know what the name of that range is? and what the fees are?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I would try minot, nd. Booming town with no archery range(it is not that accessible due to flooding) and there are plenty of people here dying for a range. Also people up in minot can drink!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks JeffShrugged: thats the idea. i see the alcohol is getting shutdown which i agree with in a sense but based on my research there just arent a lot of ranges like this. My goal is diversity. people are obsessed with shooting at 3d targets adults and kids. its just more fun! and its so boring shooting at 20 yards constantly. This is a huge liability and i dont know if it would fly but way down the road it would be awesome to have some big tree trunks installed with some hang on stands and get people shooting in the air!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.