Archery Talk Forum banner

pound pull recommendation

856 16
my draw length is around 30 inches with a compound, i have a 50# recurve and its too much, fine for fishing etc, but i cannot be consistent after 4 or 5 shots. What pound pull @28" draw would you recommend? Mostly will be used for target and small game maybe a deer from time to time. Thank you very much for your help.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
22,130 Posts
SW -

#35 TOPS.

Learn to shoot that, once you do, THEN start playing with the #50 again.

BTW - a 30" draw on a compound will equate to a 28" draw on a stickbow, +/- 1"

Viper1 out.

· Registered
9 Posts
If your trying to stretch out all the way with your recurve to your full 30"..your probably pulling much more than 50# with it..they are usually rated for 28" draw length..like Viper said..start out with a lower poundage bow till your back muscles are tuned up...

Mac

· Registered
51 Posts
An alternate thought: Go out EVERY OTHER DAY and shoot until your arms are tired...you'll be surprised at how soon you'll handle your 50#er (actually, at 30", a 54-56#er) with ease. I injured my arm and had to give up my 59# recurve for a few months and when I came back to it, I had to do the same thing...took about 2 weeks and I'm now (a few months later) back to 120 arrows a day.

The trick is to work your muscles one day, let 'em rest about 48 hours, and work 'em again...that how you build strength!

Good luck! :)

· Registered
5,700 Posts
definately start out with something that will make you feel comfortable. dropping even 10 lbs will make a difference for you and it will help you out working back up to the 50lb bow
check out ebay they always have some good working recurves and you will find one in your weight you want to start with
rob k

· 2nd Amend. Don't lose it
23,852 Posts
Viper nailed it...
35 tops... learn to shoot before playing macho with heavy bows.

Dwayne

· Banned
661 Posts
LOL leave it to good ol'dwayne to word it just right :thumbs_up

i myself have since gone from 65 back down to 50 for numerous reasons....

number one to work on a certain sight picture and point on for shooting...and i'm not a very good hunter...frankly i'm terrible..but on the 3d course or indoor shoot 50 lbs is alot more controllable and induces less fatique that 65 ever was or did!

23,852 Posts
Hello 3.01,

3.01>>i myself have since gone from 65 back down to 50 for numerous reasons....

number one to work on a certain sight picture and point on for shooting...and i'm not a very good hunter...frankly i'm terrible..but on the 3d course or indoor shoot 50 lbs is alot more controllable and induces less fatique that 65 ever was or did!<<

I used to shoot the heavy bows...(55 pounds was tops for me)... I did extremely well... but over the years, my shoulders started hurting... and now I shoot 45 # bows just fine. I hunt with a 45#Mamba, and a 44# bear. I have a 55 pound longbow that sits, and a 50 pound TD Talon...I doubt if I ever shoot them again. I have had them for years, and taken 3 or 4 deer with each of them. I used to shoot them all day long without any problems. But, as the years go by, my authritic body aches a little more, and I lower my poundage to enjoy my sport. My favorite bow is a 32# Conquest with Graphite limbs, and a unbelieveable draw feel...A Sky bow by Hoyt. Through the years of coaching and helping others, one thing stands out like a very sore thumb...Playing Macho with bows is almost a certain defeat in training, form, anchoring, and everything else. I have seen it happen way to many times...(now, with that said). There are people who *have* overcome the shortcomings of being overbowed....But the odds are definitely strong against them.

Why not shoot a 300 arrows with the proprer bow and finish the day with laughs, cheers, and wanting to continue shooting some more??? I just turn my head when I see people shoot 5 arrows, shaking their bodies apart, gripping their bows to death, flinching, and attempting to fire the cotton pickin thing....And after 15 shots are sore, tired, or fatigued. After 50 shots go home. Then say "I am tired, I have shot enough for today". Then I look at others... and we keep shooting until lunch...go to lunch... come back a hour later... and shoot until dinner...enjoy our dinner... and shoot until closing... All while having a tremendous time being social and helpful to others....And we are back at it the next day. (Gosh I loved those weekends...) And during the week, we would shoot leagues. What is sad, there was not one Macho that could stand a chance against us...whether it be in scoring or shooting 3D in the range. Yet we could take their bow and be able to outshoot them after a few rounds of arrows. They actually stopped coming in the Archery place...I think they were too embarrased or something. 1. Being outdone when they perk up and say "But my bow is bigger than yours", and being outshot with their own bows, or shown their bows can be handled by others just as good. 2. Their tire rate was much faster than ours. <g>.

To each their own...If you want the bigger bows... go for it!...have fun!...I am all for *you* (you meaning those who like the big bows) having the best time of your life and enjoying the sport. I enjoy the big bows as well as the smaller bows...But I also know that small bows create a tremendous amount of skill that the larger bows can't do as easily. From A to Z...Anchoring, Form, to Zinging those arrows. I can shoot all day with a 45# bow... that is good enough for me...its what I hunt with. But away from hunting... that 32# conquest is awfully nice... and backing it up with a 39 pound Gold Medalist is just as nice.

Dwayne

· Registered
22,130 Posts
Dwayne -

I like the way you think. Must be something about our ages ... :thumbs_up

Viper1 out.

23,852 Posts
Hello Viper,

I like the way you think. Must be something about our ages ...
Naw... Its about our lessons that we learned in life via our Mentors, students, folks we helped out, and personal experiences. The ability to say there is more than one way to skin a cat. The ability to get the most out of a wonderful sport, and help others like we have been helped through the years.
I can only pass on the kindness that was given to me when I started out... by folks who stepped beyond most folks, by giving their time to help others become a better shot, and helping those to enjoy the sport to its fullest.;)

Dwayne

· Registered
500 Posts
I'm shooting a 450 grain arrow out of a 45# recurve. Do you guys think that's enough bow to take a caribou or an animal that size? I have 125 grain Magnus 2 blade broadheads for hunting. With a field point I'm getting some good penetration when shooting a block target, probably about as much as I'm getting when I shoot the carbons out of the pully bow.

23,852 Posts
Hello Feral,

FD>>I'm shooting a 450 grain arrow out of a 45# recurve. Do you guys think that's enough bow to take a caribou or an animal that size?<<

Well... I have never seen a Caribou in life...But... I know that a 45# bow will take any whitetail out there. I know a 45# will take Elk at closer Ranges.

Now with that said, I would definitely shoot the heavier arrows, and make darn sure that the bow is in good tune....like shaft tune.

A poorly tuned 45# bow will loose a LOT of its penetration power. A lot of its energy is wasted. A properly tuned 45# bow delivers its full potential to the arrow.

I remember a long time ago at a computer ITS game. the distance was 20 yards, and the computer would do "movies" of animals walking. Your job was to do the best shot you can. This guy had a 60# recurve that was so out of tune, the porposing<sp> of the arrow was pathetic. His arrow reached 165 FPS from the Chrono, but when it hit the screen, it was had just straightened out. I seriously doubt if that bow could take down a whitetail in its condition. But if it was tuned right, I know it could take down any animal out there.

What I am saying, is 45# is fantastic for hunting. But it is only good if you have your arrows tuned to that bow, and you are hunting ethically enough to know what your bow can do. At 45#, never use expandables. Only Cut on Contact broadheads. Your KE and MO is much lower with traditional bows. It is only ethical to choose the equipment to make the most of this lower KE and MO.

What is the speed of your bow??? I have the arrow weight, I would be interested in the chrono speed of the bow.

Dwayne

· Registered
500 Posts
I don't know. I'll try it out through the chrono this weekend. I'll try it at different distances too to see the decay of speed. I'm wondering this myself. I don't know much on how to tune the bow and arrows. They come off the bow straight with no fishtailing that I can see. I'm shooting off the white plastic rest that came with the bow.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
DwayneR said:
Hello Feral,

FD>>I'm shooting a 450 grain arrow out of a 45# recurve. Do you guys think that's enough bow to take a caribou or an animal that size?<<

Well... I have never seen a Caribou in life...But... I know that a 45# bow will take any whitetail out there. I know a 45# will take Elk at closer Ranges.

Now with that said, I would definitely shoot the heavier arrows, and make darn sure that the bow is in good tune....like shaft tune.

A poorly tuned 45# bow will loose a LOT of its penetration power. A lot of its energy is wasted. A properly tuned 45# bow delivers its full potential to the arrow.

I remember a long time ago at a computer ITS game. the distance was 20 yards, and the computer would do "movies" of animals walking. Your job was to do the best shot you can. This guy had a 60# recurve that was so out of tune, the porposing<sp> of the arrow was pathetic. His arrow reached 165 FPS from the Chrono, but when it hit the screen, it was had just straightened out. I seriously doubt if that bow could take down a whitetail in its condition. But if it was tuned right, I know it could take down any animal out there.

What I am saying, is 45# is fantastic for hunting. But it is only good if you have your arrows tuned to that bow, and you are hunting ethically enough to know what your bow can do. At 45#, never use expandables. Only Cut on Contact broadheads. Your KE and MO is much lower with traditional bows. It is only ethical to choose the equipment to make the most of this lower KE and MO.

What is the speed of your bow??? I have the arrow weight, I would be interested in the chrono speed of the bow.

Dwayne
i myself would think it would be plenty to take a carribou. i think a well placed shot will more than do the trick. to be honest i think kanything in the 45 to 55 lb range would take one . i myself shoot a 45lb bow and i know it would be my choice for a deer spieces. just practice your leading techniques they usually have a tenedncy to move a lot lol
rob k

23,852 Posts
Hello FD,

FD>>I don't know much on how to tune the bow and arrows. They come off the bow straight with no fishtailing that I can see. I'm shooting off the white plastic rest that came with the bow.<<

The best way (IMO) is to bareshaft tune... that will tell you a tremendous amount of info.. (along with how good your release is <g>).

If you have a arrow, put 3 inch feathers on it, and tune it to the bow. Adjust the nock to where the fishtail is the minimal. Since you are using a stick on Flipper Rest, you cannot tune the bow that way. But your string silencers can be moved up and down the string to affect the arrow to some degree. You may not be experienced enough to see the effect of the string silencers yet. Changing point weights can have a big effect on tuning. Try 100 grains instead of 125 and see the arrow effect.

The idea is to get as straight as arrow flight as possible, with as little feathers as possible. Then when you add your 5 inche feathers for flight, you know that the feathers are there for Broadhead differences, instead of tuning differences.

Dwayne

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Viper1 said:
Dwayne -

I like the way you think. Must be something about our ages ... :thumbs_up

Viper1 out.
Hey Viper1, never mind the age. I'm only 30 and the 34# Chek-mate I'v had for 15 years is still the best bow I'v shot. The only thing is, I like the extra zip I get from my 45# Browning. Still can't beat the Cheky though.:teeth:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.