Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys care what pound rating is on the side of the arrows? The Victory V6 500 arrows have stamped 25-45 lbs. My Hoyt TH is at 60lbs and my DL is 27 inches. I looked up the details on the arrows from their website and they are rated at 7.2 gr per inch.

Victory V6 500......7.2gr/in
Blazer vanes 2in
100gr tip
Total = 364gr (according to Backcountry bowhunting calc)

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/

All of my other arrows that I have shot are 400 gr plus. Will I be ok shooting the V6 500??? And if so why do companies put pound ratings on them?

Thanks

· Registered
7,294 Posts
uh, yeah....a spine rating is very critical for both aluminum or carbon. probably more-so with carbon.

but....if you just gotta have that lightestest fastestest arrow......just keep on shootin em.

· Registered
4,555 Posts
you have to remember that those spine ratings are also for full length shafts. the shorter you cut them the stiffer you make the spine

· Registered
3,544 Posts
Why risk blowing up underspined arrows when you can get Carbon Tech Cheetah arrows from Lancaster Archery, rated for 65 lb bows and weighs 6.4 gpi?

· Registered
10,119 Posts
I care very much about the spine of my arows,
Shoot something too light spine and not only get horrible arrow flight but can create a dangerous situation as well.

So you're shooting arows that are stamped 25-45lb out of a 60lb bow??? have fun with that.

· Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So how do you shoot a lighter gr arrow but have it strong enough to handle pounds on the bow? Am I reading into it? Does GPI mean how much carbon there is per inch of the arrow shaft? Meaning the more you have the stronger the arrow will be? So if I am trying to get an arrow to about 350gr whats the safest way to reach this goal?

The reason I got this was the bow tech guy said at my arrow length the V6 500 would work great. Hope I did not make a mistake with getting them.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
I care very much about the spine of my arows,
Shoot something too light spine and not only get horrible arrow flight but can create a dangerous situation as well.

So you're shooting arows that are stamped 25-45lb out of a 60lb bow??? have fun with that.
Supprised that you didnt read he has a 26" draw. his arrows are 26 3/4 long the 25-45 are 500 spine they are not very much underspined if at all.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
So how do you shoot a lighter gr arrow but have it strong enough to handle pounds on the bow? Am I reading into it? Does GPI mean how much carbon there is per inch of the arrow shaft? Meaning the more you have the stronger the arrow will be? So if I am trying to get an arrow to about 350gr whats the safest way to reach this goal?

The reason I got this was the bow tech guy said at my arrow length the V6 500 would work great. Hope I did not make a mistake with getting them.
the gpi has nothing how stiff your arrow is. That is what you care about. you can get lighter arrows in 500 spine you can get heaver arrows in 500 spine. You will be fine with the legnth of your shaft you are good with 500 spine.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
you calculator has them about 30 grains heavy you will ba about 335 with those arrows finished.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
shaft 7.2 x 26.75 = 192.6
insert 14
nock 11
fletch 3x6 =18
point 100

You do the math

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.