Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!
This is my first "real" outdoor season, and am trying to figure out how heavy to go and whether or not the Kaya K2 limbs are a good buy. I'm on a tight archery budget, and want to be able to shoot distance- but I realize they are lower end. I'm not planning to compete much, but I'd like to be able to mess around and have fun on a field course or two.

My indoor set up is a SF Forged + riser with SF Plus Carbon limbs at 28# with a 12 oz front weight. I'm barebow/trad, no stabs or sights.

I'm getting lots of good advice from my coach, but I wanted to get more feedback about experience with the Kaya limbs and see what poundage other women are pulling. I can pull the 28s all day, but I don't want to get over-bowed. I'm contemplating between 36 and 38s... The little bit of research I can come up with, people seem to like Kaya limbs and that they're a good value.

Thank you!!

Edited! I'm a woman, did I say that? Ha!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Take all this with the usual grain of salt as Im a newbie as well.
Exactly how far do you plan to shoot?
I started with a wood takedown riiser last summer at 32#, got a SF forged + and axiom + 22# limbs and used those all winter. In talking to the club coach he reccomended 28# to start on outdoor and that should be OK to 50M at least to start (got a deal on a used set of Axiom + here). At that point I figure I'll go up by 4# increments (32# then 36#) I may just stop there depending on where I go with this. I don't plan on getting more expensive limbs for quite a while.
I'm adult male, the jump in poundage your talking about seems quite large and is what gets listed as the weights topped out for the ladies olympic, and there are plenty of cases of them shooting competitive scores at much lower weights.

Paul

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Shanna:

Also a woman.

I shot 28# til it felt like I was shooting a noodle. Then I got 32# limbs. My budget allowed $300 so I got MK Korea Inpers. May as well have gotten a rocket launcher, that's how fast they are. Arrows that were WEAK on a 28# SF Axiom + tuned like no tomorrow on the heavier limbs.

Bear in mind I am shooting Oly recurve and I have more weight on my bow (sight, stab, vbar, doinker shortie on lower stab mount). Hence -- physical mass weight PLUS heaver DL. You don't have that problem. It may allow you go get heavier limbs.

someone more knowledgable can address that.

The general wisdom is to go up in 4# increments. A 32# limb will give you 35# AMO cranked all the way in. Your DW will depend on your DL. I am going to do the next 3 outdoor tournaments because it gave me INCHES more sight and I can get all the way to 60 yards/60 meters.

I can get away with 60 meters FITA in my age group. You -- maybe not so lucky and need 70 meters. Or 70 yards on some field/hunter/3d

Limb material will also affect speed.

All I can suggest is to avoid being overbowed because your form will go to hell in a bucket. Hence, unless you can experiment for FREE with 34# limbs I'd suggest 32# because trust me -- fighting the bow weight is a bad idea.

Re Kaya limbs. No personal experience but others seem to be well pleased with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys! I tried out a set of 38# limbs today. I'm leaning towards the heavier limbs... I'm fairly strong, and the 32#s didn't feel like any more than the 28#s. I'm feeling pretty confident that I can work up to them. I'm pulling 37# at my draw weight and shot them for about an hour today without any trouble. I guess the true test will be on the field course. I'm kinda in love with the look of the Kaya K2s, and they're sold out in 36#, so its forcing my hand a little. Plus, man, I love the big thunk of those heavy limbs!

Shooting the same setup, same arrows, same anchor, and basically the same technique, my coach's arrows hit 18" above mine. Our draw lengths are pretty close, so the guess is it is anatomy differences- the distance from our anchor to our line of sight for aiming down the point. It's like one of us is string walking... This is one of the things that are making me lean towards the heavier limbs. I guess I may learn my lesson about getting over bowed- but it may be a $150 lesson instead of a $400 one if I go with the Kayas.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Your coach's form may be more efficient as well. And his/her release and finish might be crisper, which will make a difference.

My coach reminded me yesterday that instead of bringing the string to my nose, I was moving my head forward slightly. I can't feel it. But when I concentrate on not doing that, the arrows hit higher. sometimes we can't feel what we're doing. That's why we gotta have someone watch us.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Shanna, if you get the heavier limbs, you can also back your limb bolts out to lessen the weight as you work up. Also try put your draw elbow more down and your trajectory will be higher...at least that is what I noticed with myself. Rob :)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
FWIW i am turning 70 this year and shoot my 34#(37# on my fingers) Borders Hex5 at 90M with the sight NOT all the way down...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Shanna, if you get the heavier limbs, you can also back your limb bolts out to lessen the weight as you work up. Also try put your draw elbow more down and your trajectory will be higher...at least that is what I noticed with myself.
re: 18 inch diff... and I'm not saying to change your elbow. I'm just saying if you experiment with it, you might see it as a factor.
Also, did you change your nock point from your indoor string? Also brace height, number of strands, material, and speed of your string.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I can't believe your coach is saying its a good idea for you to jump from 28# to 38# 😕

What arrows are you shooting?
You'll be needing to tune up a new set of arrows with the new draw weight.
Skinny light weight target arrows aren't much less than the cost of a good set of limbs, so factor in for that as well.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hi Shanna,
First, congratulations on winning your class for indoor nationals! I met you in Salt Lake-I'm the barebow shooter who switched to lefty 4 weeks earlier. I'm also in the process of setting up for outdoor. I have 32# limbs on order (back-ordered actually...arrgh!) so currently, I'm working with my 30# indoor limbs cranked all the way in (~31-32#). With my 3L-04 ACCs with 92 grain points (total weight 288 grain), my point on is 64 yards. I'll probably try a lighter arrow with heavier points later on. I would shy away from going 38#. I'm sure you can handle it but unless you're trying to go 90 meters easily or just want as flat a trajectory as possible, you can comfortably work with 32-34# and achieve those same goals. I have a pair of 40# limbs that is a constant reminder of my folly. I developed right shoulder problems when I shot heavily with the 40# limbs and went down to 30# limbs. I don't dare try those 40# limbs with my left (and weaker) shoulder.

Best Regards,

Danny

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Are you saying that your weak arrows tuned when you increased in DW? O.O...
Yep. I have no idea why. I wish I did. I had the plunger totally locked out and shot indoors and outdoors with them last year. When I went up a POUND -- it was awful. So I went to stiffer arrows when we started going back outdoors, which was worse.

Then I put the new string on. Which is a tiny bit faster than the old one. I reset the plunger to "factory" as it were --- well not entirely. I stiffenend the plunger somewhat but not all the way.

Then the Inpers showed up. And I have added an unknown amount of poundage since I haven't weighed it yet. I figured I'd try the 15/25 (950 spine) and see if they were better than the 20/30 (820 spine). Yes they were.

Bear in mind I'm shooting 1525 Super clubs at 50 meters so I am mostly in the gold red blue, occasional black due to pilot error and of course not all of them are straight.

We can say it's because it's best to shoot weak arrows outdoors but at 10-15 yards in my back yard range they fly pretty good, at least good enough for now til I get new arrows.

This arrow thing is dark magic to me. Totally. Except like center shot and on plane and setting the sight aperture. The mechanics I got.

The arrow choice takes a ouija board.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Danny. It was great meeting you! I'm feeling super frustrated with outdoors right now. I'm a total mess. I haven't been able to practice as much as I like, and since I haven't selected new limbs yet, everything feels like fruitless practice. I'm using a set of borrowed 32# W&W limbs right now and am point on with my Gold Tip Trad Hunter 1535/600 arrows at about 37 yards. (65g points) The 32# don't feel all that heavy to me, and am definitely wanting to go up a bit but am scared of getting over bowed. I'm leaning towards a set of the SF Plus Carbon limbs in 36# so I can tighten them down if I want, but am not making such a huge jump. I love the look of the Kaya K2s, but have heard of them twisting. Man, outdoors is a whole other game! Tuning isn't my favorite, so I'm trying not to get too down about the whole thing. I spend more time looking for arrows and digging points out of wood that I do shooting!

·
Ready Aim Pluck
709 Posts
Hey Shanna!
From my experience coaching barebow shooters and hanging out with a couple top shooters (Kelton from UCSD...that guy is a monster shooting 607/720 @50m w/ a Forged+ riser and SF Premium+ limbs after switching to barebow for less than a year). I've had an decent experience with Kaya limbs but with limbs under 300 dollars its usually up to the luck of the draw on how true/straight they are. SF Premium+ limb are pretty reliable too. For outdoor barebows, I find it isn't as critical to hurry up in weight since you don't have to worry about sight clearance. You can aim as high as you like. ;p A jump from 28 to 36 sounds a bit much to me but every person is different so if you think you can handle it then I'm all for it. If you say 32 doesn't feel too heavy then maybe you can try for 34? I think if you can afford to drop the money on a pair of MK Inpers it will be well worth the investment.

Also, don't feel frustrated, go out there an have fun :) Things will always come together and you'll love to enjoy shooting long distances!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can't believe your coach is saying its a good idea for you to jump from 28# to 38# 😕
Seconded.

That is too big of a jump. Also, don't forget that you'll be shooting 6 arrow ends outdoors, quite likely in the heat. 38lbs will kick. Your. Butt.

And, your groups will spread because you won't be able to hold the bow steady to take time to aim. You'll be wanting to dump that arrow as soon as you're at anchor, without sufficient time to aim. Trust me on this. ;)

Practice outdoors with your current limb weight, shooting 6 or 8 arrows. If you practice with more than six, you'll still have steam left when you only shoot 6 in tournament conditions.

Guage how you feel after shooting at least 76 arrows. Then think about upgrading your limbs by no more than 6lbs.

You'll be shooting out to 60m max, which you should be able to do at 28lbs, without aiming incredibly high, if your arrows are light enough.

I shoot 30#, barebow. 34#, Olympic Recurve. Also a gal. :)

Edit to add... just read that you're shooting GT Trads. They're pretty heavy. Try some Super Clubs, if you can. Maybe 15\25s, depending on your DL.

Good luck! And keep it fun. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the great advice! I was able to get out and shoot yesterday and am feeling a bit better about things. I'm still thinking about the 36#s, and then also lighter arrows when I can afford them. It's all "just for fun!" right?! :smile:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You should be able to make 70-80 shooting 28# at close to 28". There might be virtues (flatter shot, more distance) and negatives (fatigue, strain, giving up at the end what you get at the start) to going up. 6# + is too much I'd think from injury and tune perspectives. You could do something less and my suggestion would be not ok I used to shoot x now y, and more, I have this within an arsenal to test. I bought 2#+ and 4#+ with xmas bonus last year, most of the time they sit, I do use them for some training, used one on a windy day tournament, and I will give them a 300 indoors once every so often and see how the score and stamina holds. Right now baseline setup I haven't changed a thing even though I got progression limbs, because I don't get a better score.

So you could probably make the distances without a change. And if you had to get something I'd treat it less like I'm moving up now with the purchase and more like, this is an experiment I can see if it works. Sometimes over a full round it is still the lighter limbs that score better.......until you build strength. Or maybe it is now too easy.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice! I was able to get out and shoot yesterday and am feeling a bit better about things. I'm still thinking about the 36#s, and then also lighter arrows when I can afford them. It's all "just for fun!" right?! :smile:
I'd get the light arrows first. There are lighter/better options than the super-club which could be left full length for use with your current limbs and then easily tuned at a shorter DL for use with more powerful ones.

I've shot 70m with 30# limbs barebow before and it didn't involve aiming over.

-Grant

·
GIS guy
1,746 Posts
I love the look of the Kaya K2s, but have heard of them twisting.
For limbs that are new for 2015, it'd be a pretty bad omen if they already have a reputation for twisting since you can't really get them easily yet. I hadn't even heard of them before this thread. I can't even find a company in the USA that offers them for sale online. The construction appears similar to the Kaya Tropics carbon/wood, except the K2 uses unidirectional carbon, if the drawings reflect reality. The Tropics were pretty good limbs for the money, so I'd expect the K2 would be as well. The graphics on the K2 sure do look a lot nicer in my opinion than the Tropics. In this age of ultra-flashy, loud limb graphics, those K2 limbs are very understated - in a good way.

I'll add my $0.02 here. Jumping from 28# to 38# is a BIG increase.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.