Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder what poundage and arrows I would need to eventually reach 70 meters. My draw length is 28". I have a 25" riser with medium limbs. I am shooting 26lb limbs indoor now with 700 spine arrows that are on the stiff side I think.

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,807 Posts
In my opinion, having to deal with wind,

I would say about 28#.

What poundage do you need to be competitive today? About 36-40#.

Chris

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks not worried about being competitive as I shoot for fun. Where would I start for arrow spine with 28-30 lb draw weight?

·
Lowered expectations
17,330 Posts
Reaching 70m will depend not only on the bow draw weight and arrow physical weight/drag, but also your anchor position. I’ve seen archers with bows well under 30# and heavier aluminum arrows hit 70 with sights fully extended, and others with a heavier bow but with a shorter face not be able to hit 70 without aiming at the flagstick. So nobody can give you a definitive answer to your first question.

28” arrow, 30# limbs, you’re in the .900 spine range, with a considerable +/- depending on the bow quality, string material and your release.

·
Registered
20,906 Posts
blade -

Agree with the above, the lowest I've personally seen work was about 28#, but that assumes the right arrow and a std DL.
Longer DLs change the game, and lighter arrows are a big factors.

BTW yes, unless pretty long 700's are way too stiff for a 26# bow drawn to 28"; 1000 spine would be closer to what you need.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
blade -

Agree with the above, the lowest I've personally seen work was about 28#, but that assumes the right arrow and a std DL.
Longer DLs change the game, and lighter arrows are a big factors.

BTW yes, unless pretty long 700's are way too stiff for a 26# bow drawn to 28"; 1000 spine would be closer to what you need.

Viper1 out.
Easton's chart shows about 850. Are you suggesting 1000 because you also suggest a lighter point to help with the distance?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m pulling 33.5 and reach 70M with room to spare. 385 ish grain arrows. Wouldnt want to be out in a stiff wind though.

·
Registered
20,906 Posts
FV -

I suggested 1000 spine because that's what works with that weight bow and nominal weight heads. The Easton charts have been over spined since 1983, to the best of my recollection.

Yes, that assumes standard bow configuration and decent form.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
18,504 Posts
At the holding weight you have and the drawing length you have, if you have the proper arrow set up you can make it.

There are a couple of threads on the topic here that made it to 70 with a little bit less weight and shorter drawn length.

Bring your site in is close to the riser as you can. If that's not enough and you have a dovetail sight, flip it around to the other side of the riser...

·
Registered
82 Posts
FWIW, my DL is 28", I shot 28" 3/8 ACE 780s with 100gn points from 30# fiberglass limbs, sight fully extended, and they tuned slightly weak but close enough to group well.

Basically the Easton chart was spot on

·
Registered
129 Posts
My daughter is shooting 60m with 27# and a 27" draw length and has plenty of room on her sight to go out to 70. We did cut her arrows down to 25-1/8" carbon-to-carbon so we could move her clicker back to the riser and moved her sight a little closer. We had to jump up to 1200 spine arrows for that short of shaft at her draw length and they still shoot a little stiff but she is working on increasing her draw weight so they should hopefully last a little while.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe I can hijack this thread and can ask for some personal advice for my current setup:

36lbs OTF , 32,2 inch AMO DL, 32,4 inch arrow length, Easton C1 550, 100gr points, Arrow weight approx.: 331gr

I have to bottom my sight to reach 70M. Cant reach 90m even with sight completly in and aiming at the top of the target.

I will change my arrow and limb setup next season, but this season I'm stuck with it.

I have 2 options at the moment.

1. tune my arrows for optimal spine and bareshaft grouping (wich is the current setup with 36lbs and tiller bolts 5 turns out)
2. Turn in the tiller bolts in to gain poundage (38,5 OTF) but end up with a weak arrow spine ( 60cm to the right at 30 meters)

Wich setup is probably more forgiving, when conditions are a bit windy. (last season average training scores 605, personal best 635)

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,807 Posts
Maybe I can hijack this thread and can ask for some personal advice for my current setup:

36lbs OTF , 32,2 inch AMO DL, 32,4 inch arrow length, Easton C1 550, 100gr points, Arrow weight approx.: 331gr

I have to bottom my sight to reach 70M. Cant reach 90m even with sight completly in and aiming at the top of the target.

I will change my arrow and limb setup next season, but this season I'm stuck with it.

I have 2 options at the moment.

1. tune my arrows for optimal spine and bareshaft grouping (wich is the current setup with 36lbs and tiller bolts 5 turns out)
2. Turn in the tiller bolts in to gain poundage (38,5 OTF) but end up with a weak arrow spine ( 60cm to the right at 30 meters)

Wich setup is probably more forgiving, when conditions are a bit windy. (last season average training scores 605, personal best 635)
you also have third and fourth and fifth option.

3rd, you can lower the nocking point on the arrow 1/16,1/8,1/4 and get much more cast.

4th, If you shoot with a shelf, you can raise the shelf to get further cast

5th, you can bite something that lowers your jaw and gives better cast.

Many archers have used these three options to shoot 70 and 90 meters. No harm in any of them.

I would keep the current tune and poundage and lower nocking point if it was one of my students.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts