Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see how many other bowhunters have had good luck in the rain...Last year in Ohio, I had my best day bowhunting during a steady heavy rain. Saw 12 bucks and a B+C.

Dave

·
Registered
808 Posts
Haven't had much luck in a pouring rain, but I sure like a slow drizzle to get on the ground and stalk. Walked up on several good deer that way, especially when there's acorns on the ground.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't hunt in a hard rain so wouldn't know. If it is drizzling a little and it isn't supposed to get any worse I will out, if its any more then that I won't go out. There are too many bad things that can happen when bow hunting in the rain. You might see deer and stuff, but blood will wash away quick and don't really have time to let the deer lay at all. Just too many bad things can go wrong. I know of three people this last year how all claim they put good shots on deer, but were not able to find them because the rain washed the blood away before they could find them. If its a good shot the deer can go a 100 yards or so, they can do a lot of things in that time, not to mention if you don't hit them perfectly. I know they can go down in less then a 100 yards too, but I'm not willing to take that risk.

For me my favorite hunting is in the morning when there is a good fog. The deer seem to move later and more. The bad thing about any water on the ground is you can't hear them coming very well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts