Archery Talk Forum banner

Powder Coating

1331 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Smack Em
I am looking at getting my bow powder coated black. I just don't know what sheen, matte, flat, satin, semigloss.. What are most black bows done in.. Also What about them limbs? Are they ok to powder coat
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· I learn the hard way.
9,266 Posts
Most of the black bows I've seen were matte or maybe satin. From what little I know about powdercoating, the item is electrically charged and the powder is oppositely charged which causes it to be attracted to the item. Because the limbs aren't metal, I'd venture to say that they cannot be electrically charged, therefore they could not be powdercoated.

· " I can do that for ya "
3,100 Posts
I powder risers and anything metal on bows all the time. Limbs NOT gonna happen temperature in the ovens are 400 deg. farenheit they would be a puddle of goo when done. :) As far as color skies the limit I have hundereds of colors avail.

· Registered
1,359 Posts
I had a bow powder coated at a motorcycle shop. Stripped it myself. Had the riser, cams, limb pockets, cable guard rod and string stop done for $50. I had it done glossy as it was a target bow. Limbs I painted using automotive paint for plastic trim. Works great and looks great. Flexible so does not peel. Next bow I had done satin. Just a little less glossy. The guy there said that glossy is the hardest. The last was a flat black and that is what I recommend. It is not dull but like the black on auto parts. If you strip it first you can get a deal and it is not hard. They charge two or three times as much if they have to strip it as they are not set up to do it. They do not mind a quick sand blasting to make sure it is ready and do not charge extra for that.

So get flat black. Most places can show you actual examples.

bob

PS - If you are into bling, they can do some wild things also, metallic fleck, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.