Archery Talk Forum banner

powder coating

743 7
has anyone tried doing the own powder coat on there bow

using a home powder coating set, and an oven, if so, share some pics on how it turned out and what method you used

thx joe
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· First name's Chad
697 Posts
I've never tried it with a bow riser, but I have powder coated some small motorcycle parts. There are a couple of issues with do it yourself powder coating. Your home over is small. To get the best finish you need to hang your parts. My home oven is not big enough to hang my riser properly. Second, when you bake the powder coating it smells. You really need to get a second hand oven, or you could ruin your primary oven because of the stink. With that said, the small bits that I did turned out nice. I don't have any pics or I would share.

· Registered
10,619 Posts
Material prep is the key to good powdercoating. If you don't prep the material the right way, or good enough you are going to have a weak brittle coat.

Using your home oven is a big NEGATIVE. The oven will work just fine, but the fumes the powder puts off during the bake is toxic. You don't want them in your house. You also don't want to cook in your oven after you use it for powdercoating.

Any more questions, shoot me a PM or click on the link below:wink:

· Banned
300 Posts
i've got No Problem with prep, costic fumes, tampering with "Wifes oven", wasted materials & time involved in powder coating in itself !!
Toddman does & has always done my power coats for me !!
100's of jobs & Never a job that wasn't perfect !!
Richard

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey R.venas, you recon you could post some pics of what you'v done, and i was thinking of getting and old oven from the dump, and pull the insideds out that make the heat, then wield up a bigger sort of oven, put the heat rods in there

and a little thermometer :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.