Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new bowhunter and just wanted to get some feedback on what I should be doing for practice. I've been shooting mostly from 15 & 25 yards and can get three shots within a 5" diamter circle. I see all of these post on 40+ yard shots and just wondering how accurate of a shot that would be, or what would be condsidered good from those ranges. How many shots should I be taking in each session too?

Thanks

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
If you are going to be hunting from a treestand , you had better get some practice in , it is different from up there . I will shoot 10 - 15 shots each from 25,30,35,40 yards , good luck and only take the best shot .

You are shooting a 5" group at 25 yards , try getting that down to a 3 " group....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
spelunker64 said:
Hi all,

I'm a new bowhunter and just wanted to get some feedback on what I should be doing for practice. I've been shooting mostly from 15 & 25 yards and can get three shots within a 5" diamter circle. I see all of these post on 40+ yard shots and just wondering how accurate of a shot that would be, or what would be condsidered good from those ranges. How many shots should I be taking in each session too?

Thanks
If you're hitting a 5 inch circle at 15 to 25 yards you're getting close to accurate enough for hunting. I'd keep practicing at those distances. If I were you I might even consider stepping back farther if you have the room. I found that after shooting at 40 yards for a while the target at 20 yards looks huge.

I would practice as much as you can and as was mentioned by others, try and take some shots from a treestand or elevated platform before hunting. Your arrows will hit a different spot when shot from a tree than they did from the ground.

Good luck and keep practicing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts