Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into shooting after a 14 year vacation. . .last time I shot I was in my early teens. I've read several time where someone refers to a bow as either a target bow, or a hunting bow. What's the difference? Draw weight? Color, lol? Just curious and hadn't seen the answer anywhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:welcomesign: to AT. I guess the main difference between the two would be physical size most time the target bows are made with a larger ATA with more brace height to increase its forgiveness. target bows are usually built with little to no reflex in the riser and and usually non-parallel limb type bows. If your looking for a fita type compound weight is limited to 60 lb. target specific bows are usually offered with a wide variety of color aswell.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Difference for me:

Hunting: camo, 70 pounds, accessories to make quiet, shorter axle to axle, larger pins

Target: Anodized shiny finish, 55 pounds, Longer ata and brace height, smaller pins (or scope) longer stabilizer. No need to make it quiet, though most bows made today are.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
the difference to me is... Nothing really... color... I mean there are things that the companies do to push the bow towards the hunting or target crowd but i know people who hunt with said target bows... I know someone who hunts with a Hoyt vantage elite... and myself i plan on doing a little hunting with my "target" bow the Mathews Triumph... so i guess its all in the eye of the beholder...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the clarification and the warm welcome! But a few more questions have arised from your answers:
Is the riser the section between the limbs?
What is brace height?
What is the reflex of the riser?
And what is the difference between parallel limbs and non?

Sorry for all the terribly newbie questions, I've never done much takling about archery, I just went out and shot the darn arrows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts