Archery Talk Forum banner

Practice on shot execution?

1084 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  NEVADAPRO
Leading up to a big tourn I will start having trouble getting the release to fire. Long hold times have plagued me for a while now. The result is I can't hold steady, and my left eye tries to take over causing blurred sight picture. I know this is tension in my shot that causes it. When I returned home from State this weekend I started tearing it down and decided to commit to shooting with nothing but an empty scope housing for a few weeks (removed the lens from my scope).

Last night I went to the shop and shot 7 or so ends and was amazed at how accurate you can be this way. Don't get me wrong- I dropped some points, but also drilled a lot of x's- and the misses were just alignment- there was ZERO tension. It was the MOST comfortable shooting I had done in a long time. I could actually relate the shot execution that I practice at 10 yards and it felt near identical to blind bale practice. If only I could feel this comfortable shooting a score with lens installed? BTW- yes I have shot the true spot- but I never felt like my aim was as solid and like lots of people- was very comfortable shooting with it but never considered myself real accurate with it.

I would like to know how some of you (who are very committed to practice time) practice that you feel pays dividends?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,359 Posts
try blank baleing... get rid of the target, and get your brain out of the way. ..hehehehee
just shoot and shoot and shoot. if not already, try to put together a number of steps from time you approach the line, until the arrow leaves the bow.... develop a rhythym, and timing and mental steps 1 thu X....loosen up, relax, keep the fun in it ..:)

:shade:

· Registered
34,432 Posts
Actually I am gonna go the opposite direction from SP :eek: unless you are having actual shot execution issues or form issues. Blank bale IMO isn't gonna help you.

You are fighting tournament anxiety or nerves. The pressure to shoot well on the "big stage" is what's getting you and causing you to lock up...you are trying to hard not too miss.

I know that a lot of people really struggle with this...there are a few things that I did to get over this...

the obvious one is to shoot in as many shoots as you can. You are always going to get nervous or excited. But you have to learn how to shoot with it and control it...the only way to do that is to put yourself in that situation. You have to realize that the people you are trying to shoot good in front of or beat don't really give a rats arse about your score...we may ask how your shooting or look at your target,etc. But nobody cares about your shooting ability or score. :wink:

Step up and focus on making your shot...

Also practice like you play....if I am shooting indoors I practice just like I would if I was at a shoot...I setup the bow. Shoot a few warm up ends....

Hang a new target...shoot 2 practice ends and keep score.

If I am shooting field...I do the same. I warm up on the bales...then go shoot a half and keep score.

Unless I am tuning I ALWAYS keep score...just flinging arrows is a waste of time IMO.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Sounds like the reticle is most of the problem

I shoot with crosshairs for that very reason----they align themselves and allow you to focus only on the target/and execution

I like .015---.018 orange mono ----it covers nothing up---and always shows----bright on dark face/and dark on white

By doing this it doesn't draw your focus away from the target

I shoot it for all venues

· Registered
7,294 Posts
easiest way to practice the 'execute' phase is to get about 5yds from the bale, load up and draw. when you hit your anchor, close your eyes and go into 'auto' mode. do that for a while each day and let your subconscious absorb and incorporate it. without the eyes, it'll just flow

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BH definately hit on some of it- the diff is shooting where you are defensive- or afraid to miss (this is bad but I am guilty), vs shooting "determined to hit". When I am shooting confidently or determined to hit- the release goes off WAY sooner, I am steadier throughout the execution of the shot, and can shoot lights out. Shooting "afraid to miss" is when I usually fight the long holds and can't get release to fire.

Those subconscious muscles just seem to tighten up when you really place a lot of pressure on yourself- and for me it is indoors. I don't seem to get this much shooting 3d.

I think I will stick with the housing only practice for at least a few weeks and see if I can retrain the old grey matter.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
easiest way to practice the 'execute' phase is to get about 5yds from the bale, load up and draw. when you hit your anchor, close your eyes and go into 'auto' mode. do that for a while each day and let your subconscious absorb and incorporate it. without the eyes, it'll just flow
This is what I am trying to accomplish- but I practice at 5 and 10 a lot, and while I am automatic just as you describe- when it goes to 20 I fight it. Maybe some 30 yard spots for a while might help too?

· Registered
5,525 Posts
I just take the dot off my lens and shoot a 4x lens clear of anything. I have trouble getting the dot on target. I shoot a lot in my garage from 5yd 7yds 9yds and can hold on target but when i move back to 20 its so hard to get even the scope on target. AC

· Registered
34,432 Posts
BH definately hit on some of it- the diff is shooting where you are defensive- or afraid to miss (this is bad but I am guilty), vs shooting "determined to hit". When I am shooting confidently or determined to hit- the release goes off WAY sooner, I am steadier throughout the execution of the shot, and can shoot lights out. Shooting "afraid to miss" is when I usually fight the long holds and can't get release to fire.

Those subconscious muscles just seem to tighten up when you really place a lot of pressure on yourself- and for me it is indoors. I don't seem to get this much shooting 3d.

I think I will stick with the housing only practice for at least a few weeks and see if I can retrain the old grey matter.
I hear ya....I was the same way. You have to let those down and start over...I tend to fight a bit more indoors then outdoors for one reason. That dag on clock. Not that I am really worried about it but I don't have a problem letting down but I know that indoors I can only let down one maybe two times and then I have to rush or force things...outside it's not an issue.

Relax and focus on making a good shot...ignore your pin just focus on the X. Do you use an itty bitty dot or a big one?

As for the housing only shooting I shot a bare 6X lens last year indoors and loved it. :wink:

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have varied my dot size the last couple years- but tend to stick with one size thru the season. Two years ago it was a really big one- I got lazy with it (like I was on the true spot), and then this year- I really wanted to be able to see the x so I went to a really small dot. In fact, I was about to put a fiber and up pin in my scope but didn't.

I think I may try to go to a 6 x and bare lens here for a while.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
You need to try a true spot scope and lens. Its just like shooting a blank scope housing. You just look at the X and wait for the shot to happen.

· Registered
34,432 Posts
You need to try a true spot scope and lens. Its just like shooting a blank scope housing. You just look at the X and wait for the shot to happen.
He already did :wink:

But that lens doesn't agree with everyone...I have tried them and hate it.

I shoot a fiber/dot with a regular lens the same way you do a tru spot :)

· ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
Conscious Archery

CetorP,

The issue you are having centers around the lack of a CONSCIOUS shot process. the reason why you likely shoot great in your back yard but them fail at a big shoot has to do with the way you fundamentally approach your shooting as a whole. In your back yard you likely just shoot arrows with little thought... You are essentially shooting by 2nd nature without CONSIOUSLY guiding your efforts.

When you get to a competition, you quickly become self aware & ask yourself "Now what exactly is it that I need to do to make these arrows hit the middle?" You freak out a little becuase now that you are CONSIOUS of what it is that you are trying to accomplish, you have no idea how to perform in this state of mind.

The key is that you need to ALWAYS shoot in a CONSCIOUS sate of mind, This means that you need to establish a mental shot process that you CONSCIOUSLY follow for every shot whether you are practicing or competing.

I cover all of this in great detail & MUCH more about conscious Vs. subconscious mind as well as basic & advanced shot process on ArcheryLessonsOnline.com there is just too much to cover here!

The information my site is 2nd to none!

-Adam

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CetorP,

The issue you are having centers around the lack of a CONSCIOUS shot process. the reason why you likely shoot great in your back yard but them fail at a big shoot has to do with the way you fundamentally approach your shooting as a whole. In your back yard you likely just shoot arrows with little thought... You are essentially shooting by 2nd nature without CONSIOUSLY guiding your efforts.

When you get to a competition, you quickly become self aware & ask yourself "Now what exactly is it that I need to do to make these arrows hit the middle?" You freak out a little becuase now that you are CONSIOUS of what it is that you are trying to accomplish, you have no idea how to perform in this state of mind.

The key is that you need to ALWAYS shoot in a CONSCIOUS sate of mind, This means that you need to establish a mental shot process that you CONSCIOUSLY follow for every shot whether you are practicing or competing.

I cover all of this in great detail & MUCH more about conscious Vs. subconscious mind as well as basic & advanced shot process on ArcheryLessonsOnline.com there is just too much to cover here!

The information my site is 2nd to none!

-Adam
Well, maybe you misunderstood me slightly Adam. I would clarify a couple points- when I say outside, I am not referring to my back yard, I am refrerring to 3d (competition). I care a great deal more about spot and field shooting than 3d and I think therefore place more pressure (a lot) on myself in an indoor environment.

As far as shot process- I understand completely, and agree with you in principle, but I do have a routine and practice it everyday. I even break down parts of it and practice them individually. I ALWAYS follow: Set feet, nock arrow, hook up, raise bow, draw to anchor, splash into bullseye, allow dot to settle, deepen grip on release (preload if oyu will), begin execution of release, aim, aim, aim etc.

· ArcheryLessonsOnline.com
2,013 Posts
Well, maybe you misunderstood me slightly Adam. I would clarify a couple points- when I say outside, I am not referring to my back yard, I am refrerring to 3d (competition). I care a great deal more about spot and field shooting than 3d and I think therefore place more pressure (a lot) on myself in an indoor environment.

As far as shot process- I understand completely, and agree with you in principle, but I do have a routine and practice it everyday. I even break down parts of it and practice them individually. I ALWAYS follow: Set feet, nock arrow, hook up, raise bow, draw to anchor, splash into bullseye, allow dot to settle, deepen grip on release (preload if oyu will), begin execution of release, aim, aim, aim etc.
Ahh, well that's a whole different deal then! ;)

What is your fundamental method for executing the shot?

-Adam

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I "start the motor" so to speak, I am simply trying simulate the feeling of drawing my bow back an extra 1/4 inch past the "stops". If I am relaxed, it will fire before a count of 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004.

FUnny thing is that I was helping a friend of mine tonight who is dealing with TP in a big way, and I shot 5-6 ends with a bowhunter setup the most relaxed
I have in a long time. Coaching is very good therapy- it makes you remember a lot of things you need to be doing yourself, like relaxing when you come to full draw. In fact, it helped me so much tonight I think I will add that to my shot routine- draw to anchor, relax........and so on.

· Registered
8,807 Posts
I didn't read all the post here, but I can relate with your problem.
I assume you are just speaking of indoors. That is where I struggle the most in my game. To me the indoor venure just apears to be too easy so I put way too much preasure on myself. After all it's only 20 yards, the terrain is perfectly flat and level, and there is a very definative spot to aim at. Sounds easy enough right?
That is the aditude that gets me in trouble everytime I shoot indoors. In my head it is too easy so I put all this preasure on myself to perform perfectly, and that preasure always makes me perform alot less than perfectly.
I can not shoot with a pin or dot indoors. I have tried x-view and truespot lens with some decent success, but I find what works best for me is just a circle on my lens that apears to be just as big as either the 5 ring or the 9 ring (depending on what game we're talking about) this way I can't see the pin or dot moving around on and off the X. It allows me to relax and just look at the X until the release fires.
Relaxation is key to getting through a clean shot. If I am aiming and I feel myself begin to tense up I just let down and re-focus. Another thing that really helps me when I remember to do it is taking a break between shots. I rest my bow on the stabilizer and let all the tension out of my arms and shoulders and just relax for 5-10 seconds.
LAST I picked up a good tip at an ASA shoot last year. If you find yourself on a shot where you just can't hold steady let down and force yourself to yawn sounds kinda stupid but it really does work.

I don't think my indoor game is perfect yet but I can say with the exception of 2 off nights this year my scores stayed consistently higher than my highest scores of years past.

· Registered
8,034 Posts
cetorP, I can almost guarantee you that are starting and stopping throughout the shot process. While the dot is in the spot, you are pulling through the shot. But as soon as the dot starts to move, at all, you stop pulling! Then the dot floats back into the spot and you start the pulling process once again!

Once you have started aiming, if the back tension or pulling through the shot stops, you are done!! You have to let down and start the process over again.

Let the dot float in and out of the spot without stopping your shot process (or back tension)! The dot will naturally find it's way back to the center.

Try shooting an entire round doing just that and keep score. See if you notice a difference. See if you are more relaxed! It might take a few rounds to totally relax but give it a shot. But make sure you let down if you feel the back tension in the shot stop! You will find arrows that you just knew were going to be out of the spot, IN!! Good luck and God bless:)

When I "start the motor" so to speak, I am simply trying simulate the feeling of drawing my bow back an extra 1/4 inch past the "stops". If I am relaxed, it will fire before a count of 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004.

FUnny thing is that I was helping a friend of mine tonight who is dealing with TP in a big way, and I shot 5-6 ends with a bowhunter setup the most relaxed
I have in a long time. Coaching is very good therapy- it makes you remember a lot of things you need to be doing yourself, like relaxing when you come to full draw. In fact, it helped me so much tonight I think I will add that to my shot routine- draw to anchor, relax........and so on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.